Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Spreader lights for the cockpit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/24/2023 :  16:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve often considered adding a pair of spreader downlighting to illuminate the cockpit while at anchor or on the slip at night. The original Catalina 25 electrical control panel lists the Deck Lights which I currently use to power the audio sound system, the VHF GPS and a cigarette lighter receptacle. If I add the spreader lights, I’ll have to add a new switch to the panel, or at least reassign a few circuits.
If you have a set of spreader lights, how have you set them up?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2023 :  05:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the bow lights or steaming lights that you can attach to the midpoint of the front of the mast also provides a downlight the shines on the bow of the boat, however, they don’t do much for illuminating the cockpit. Perhaps there’s a way to add one of these lights to the rear of the mast to point the other way? That would take me adding another circuit inside the mast and an additional connector pin to the cabintop through hull electrical connector.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2023 :  14:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't have any affiliation with this company and have not used any of their products. Only know of them because they are a local company.

They may have some lights that would work for your application.

Spreader Lights

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 05/04/2023 14:36:47
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2023 :  19:02:03  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cockpit Lighting
I recently got a traditional looking LED lantern with internal battery.

I really like the ambiance of the flickering flame mode.  In the cockpit, I hang the lantern from the tiller handle.  It recharges using the USB charging cable, included.  I'm quite pleased with the quality.

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2023 :  21:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leon — this appears to be a very classy solution to the problem of having a cool-looking and convenient light source in the cockpit and down below in the cabin. Having it be USB-powered with a rechargeable battery avoids the issue of having to run an additional power cable.

One concern I might have is if I wanted to hang the light above eye height, it would swing due to the movement of the boat.

I have a solar-rechargeable Lucí light that’s made of a very light inflatable plastic shell that I can hang overhead, so even if it swings, it has very little mass and it’s soft, so no issues there.

Here’s a sample from Amzn.
https://www.amazon.com/MPOWERD-Luci-Outdoor-2-0-Inflatable/dp/B01IIV1OC0

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 05/13/2023 21:23:38
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page