Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Catalina Yacht Store east-coast raftup message
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/18/2023 :  11:24:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all Catalina boaters!
Like many of you, I recently received a message from the Catalina Yacht Store letting me know about various Catalina Logoed shirts, hats, and jackets I could purchase. They seem to offer some nice items for decent prices.
I also received a separate note alerting me to an All-Catalina raftup event taking place on Block Island, Rhode Island during the first week of August, from Tuesday until Thursday of that week. For me, that would probably take me a week because it would take 2-3 days over, three nights in Block, and 3 days coming back to Stratford.
For me, I’d like nothing better, frankly, but the Admiral worries, “ boy, that’s a lotta time on that small boat!” You probably know what she means… sleeping, showers, dining, etc.
But in case you didn’t get it, here’s the registration site
https://catalina-yachts.square.site/product/east-coast-rendezvous-solo-skipper/14?cs=true&cst=custom
This link is for a solo skipper, but if you’re planning to go as a couple, the link is also up there.
It sounds like a great program with a Tuesday evening reception, activities and reception on Wednesday, and a farewell gathering on Thursday. I imagine that it will sell out super quick, and for slips and hotel rooms, they’re saying “get ‘em while you can “.
Seems like you’ll see all sizes and vintages of Catalinas there.
Enjoy!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2023 :  19:34:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see mention of where on the island this is happening, but if it's on Great Salt Pond (New Harbor) on the west side of the island, there are also mooring balls at a reasonable rate per night (first come first served), and a large, free anchorage north of the mooring field (a "free-for-all" in August). For slips, none of the marinas are "reasonable", and in August, they sell out far in advance. Some have minimum LOA requirements like 30'. Old Harbor on the east side is much more limited for moorage, but has the town and the biggest hotel (National). It's about a mile walk from Great Salt Pond. My guess would be the activity will be at Champlins Marina on GSP.

And Bruce--your timeline is of course very weather-dependent, particularly considering about 20 miles of open ocean from Watch Hill Passage. But if you're going, rattle my cage!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/18/2023 19:40:03
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2023 :  05:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, the body of the email listed the following itinerary and schedule

Tentative Itinerary:

Tuesday, August 1st.

5 - 7 pm Cocktail reception @ National Hotel
Greeted by Sharon, Patrick, and Springline Yacht Sales
Appetizers & Drinks while mingling with friends
Registration
Pick up the Skippers bag, the itinerary of events & the model boat Kit

Wednesday, August 2nd

Seal watching by dinghy in the morning (weather permitting)
Bang & Go Back race. Prelims. Prizes awarded
New England Lobster Dinner at Sullivan's with Live Music by Dan Watson

Thursday, August 3rd

Seminars begin @ 9 am - Champlin's
11am Lite Bites and Mudslide @ Champlin’s. Sponsored by Springline Yachts Sales
Catalina Raft up with cocktails onboard
Bang and Go Back FINALS from Raft Up. Prizes awarded
Model boat race. Rules in skipper's bag. Prizes awarded
Bon Voyage

Registration cost - $400 per boat
Includes - Attendance for two, Welcome party, Lobster Bash, and all organized events
Skippers bag
Additional people onboard: $175pp

Registration cost for Solo Skipper - $200
Includes - Attendance for one only. Welcome party, Lobster Bash, and all organized events
Skippers bag for one

I get what you said about the open ocean, aka Block Island Sound. Looking at the charts, I determined that it would probably be better to sail along the south shore of Rhode Island south county (maybe up to Charlestown Breachway, then cross over to Block Island to shorten the distance between the two. As you rightly pointed out, Watch Hill Passage to Block I is a good 20 miles.
In your experience, what’s the best wind direction? Summertime southwesterlies at 10 knots or northerlies nor’easterlies around 10 knots?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2023 :  05:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And more info in the email

MOORING REQUEST

The harbor master is temporarily holding limited moorings for our Catalina owners. This harbor books fast, so make your mooring request here.

FILL OUT MOORING REQUEST HERE
MARINA REQUEST

Champlin's Marina and Resort is thrilled to welcome us to their 9-acre Block Island resort. To lock in our special group rate, please complete this form before Thursday, June 15th, 2023

FILL OUT MARINA REQUEST FORM HERE
HOTEL REQUEST

We have blocked rooms at the National Hotel if you are attending the rendezvous and need land accommodations. Our welcome reception will be held at the National on Tuesday evening, making it very convenient for those staging at the hotel. For those staying on their Catalina, it's a short taxi ride for the 1 mile trip to the hotel.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2023 :  07:36:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually from WH Passage it's only 16-17 miles, but it's ocean conditions. Going along the RI shore wouldn't seem to buy you much except more miles--it's a long beach with few places to hide. If you skip Fishers Island Sound and go outside Fishers Island, it's probably a little shorter. Nice weather is generally S-SW, so a reach out from WHP and a beat back. N-NW-NE conditions are generally blustery--you can end up with big chop opposing the Atlantic swell. Either way (inside or outside of Fishers Island) you want to time the tide--in a sailboat it can help or hurt a lot. (I don't worry about it. )

I'd reserve a mooring as early as possible--normally they're first-come-first-served, with lots of boats anchored beyond the mooring field because they couldn't get one. You don't want to know what a slip costs at Champlin's... ...unless they got a GREAT rate!

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/19/2023 07:43:33
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2023 :  18:15:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, Intriguing. I am signed up with Catalina yachts and have received no information. I know several (maybe many) years ago they had an east coast event in Mystic. Block could be problematic as moorings are expensive and reserved months in advance, and getting there for smaller boats could be challenging. still, would love to see the announcement of the raft-up.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2023 :  19:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Peter I think I still have your email address (msn?). I’ll send the email across to you. Apparently, the raft up organizers have reserved some mooring slots for that week. If you plan to attend, please let me know and I’ll look to join you there.

P.S.: Let me know if you got my message.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 04/23/2023 10:58:38
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2023 :  09:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last time I looked, the standard rate for a mooring was $40. Pretty good in the scheme of things, if you can get it... Things can be tricky in the anchorage area--boats too close, crossed rodes, and one time I had to swing 180 degrees to break mine loose--I'm not sure from what. A mooring is much simpler (although I've never gotten one there).

Enjoy the morning pastries from Aldo's bakery boat--"ANDIAAAMOOO!"

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page