Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Outhaul replacement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HappyNow
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
99 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/01/2023 :  08:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’d like to replace my Outhaul line this year. I’ve never pulled the wire out far enough to see how it attaches to the line, and the boat is in storage now. Does anyone know how the wire attaches to the line? Also, the manual says the wire is 24 feet and the line is 17 feet. Is that correct? Also, halyard length is listed as 65 feet, but Catalina Direct replacements are 75 feet. Is 65 feet the correct length? Thinking of going with 5/16 Sta-set for the halyards. Any thoughts on Sta-set?

Michael Levin
Sailin' on Sunshine
C250 #402 WK
Lake Tahoe

Edited by - HappyNow on 04/01/2023 08:55:31

HappyNow
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
99 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2023 :  11:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Surprised I didn’t get an answer to this so I’m asking again. Launched yesterday and tried to pull the Outhaul out further to see the attachment, but I pulled it out as far as the line would allow without losing it inside the boom, and still couldn’t see how the wire attaches to the line or how to replace it. Anyone have any experience with this?

Michael Levin
Sailin' on Sunshine
C250 #402 WK
Lake Tahoe
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2023 :  15:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't own a C250, but, when I want to replace a halyard, I sew a piece of light line to the old halyard and pull out the old halyard, pulling the light line through. Then you can measure the length of the old halyard and replace it with a new one of the exact same length. Sew the new halyard to the light line and pull it through.

I wonder if you could attach a piece of light line to either the wire end or rope end of your outhaul, and pull the other end out until the light line comes out. Then you could replace either the wire or the rope, and then use the light line to pull them back in place.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

JB
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
110 Posts

Response Posted - 05/22/2023 :  07:18:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never done mine. You may have to remove the boom end cap or slide an inspection camera in one the sheave slots.

1988 C25 Wing Keel Std Rig Tohatsu 9.9 Tiller Steering and 2003 C250 Wing Keel Std Rig Inboard Diesel Wheel Steering
Go to Top of Page

Jacob
1st Mate

Members Avatar

34 Posts

Response Posted - 05/22/2023 :  09:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a link to a replacement for the original outhaul system inside the boom. The original is a 2:1 and this replacement is an 8:1. So it is different but I imagine some similar type of system. If this is correct, there's no way you could let it come far enough out to replace the wire or line. I think the boom end cap or endcaps will have to come off, and the boom be disassembled.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-250/rigging/running-rigging/outhaul-internal-81c-250-c-27/
Go to Top of Page

HappyNow
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
99 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2023 :  10:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everybody. I just spoke to Catalina Direct and they agreed with Jacob that I’d have to take both boom end caps off. They can make a new Outhaul once they have the dimensions of the old one. I don’t need the whole kit with the extra blocks that they sell. Since it’s not an emergency, I’m going to wait until fall to do this when I take the boom off, and will update the post about what I find then.

Michael Levin
Sailin' on Sunshine
C250 #402 WK
Lake Tahoe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page