Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Who here knows the Catalina masts well?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jacob
1st Mate

Member Avatar

34 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/26/2023 :  09:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, new member here. After seeing all the knowledgeable people here I'm hoping someone can help me get a definitive answer to my question. What I have is, a 2006 Catalina 250wb, hull #896, with a broken mast. I have reasons to believe that the Catalina 25's had the same mast extrusion. I know most of the hardware is not the same, and not in the same places. But I'm just trying to figure out if they at least share the same mast extrusion profile. Catalina eventually switched to Selden masts on the 250, but mine is from before this change. Anyone on this forum have more info on this subject? I have gotten a lot of mixed info from different people.
Thanks!

Edited by - Jacob on 01/27/2023 13:18:52

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/26/2023 :  12:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jacob, I can't answer your question about the extrusions being the same and you say you have gotten mixed info so my suggestion is to go to the source and call Catalina and ask them, after all they built the boat. Tell them your boat and hull # and they might be able to look it up.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 01/26/2023 12:26:02
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/26/2023 :  14:55:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another source, although they don't sell the masts, is Catalina Direct. They handle many components that vary by the vintages of the boats (e.g. mast steps that fit the extrusions), so their tech support people might have an answer. But Catalina Yachts is probably your best source. They generally support their customers well.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/26/2023 14:56:57
Go to Top of Page

JB
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
110 Posts

Response Posted - 01/26/2023 :  15:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Catalina 25 and a 2003 Catalina 250 the mast extrusions are not the same.

1988 C25 Wing Keel Std Rig Tohatsu 9.9 Tiller Steering and 2003 C250 Wing Keel Std Rig Inboard Diesel Wheel Steering
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 01/26/2023 :  18:51:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jacob,

I have a 2005 C250-WB (hull 793).
I agree, the mast vendor changed somewhere after hull-900
The mast changed was part of the refit from C250 to C250-Mark-II.
The most identifiable feature on the Mark-II was the opening cabin portholes.

Catalina Direct is the "Authorized" replacement parts retailer.
There are located in Sacramento CA (www.catalinadirect.com)
They have a tech support contact and have "old school customer service".

Catalina Yachts is the manufacturer and they have a tech support department
They are located in Largo FL (www.catalinayachts.com)

If you still have questions, please send me an email (commodore at catalina-capri-25s.org)
Thanks, Russ Johnson
Commodore

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

Jacob
1st Mate

Members Avatar

34 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2023 :  07:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JB

I have a Catalina 25 and a 2003 Catalina 250 the mast extrusions are not the same.

You are the first person I have heard from anywhere that owns a 25 and a 250. So I'd say you have the best first hand knowledge. But I still have questions that maybe you could clarify. I do know that the extrusions wouldn't be exactly the same, because they could be different lengths, and I know they have different hardware and different holes in them in different places. But what I really need to know is if the actual profile is the same. I have looked a A LOT of masts now trying to find one for this boat. And something I have noticed is that the shape of my mast profile seems to be extremely rare. It is an oval shape, with flat sides. a "stadium" shape, I guess. I found a picture of a mast from a 25, and it had the same shape to it. Are you sure just the actual shape of the mast profile is different? Do they not both have flat sides, with just the front and back being a half circle? or is one of the two not shaped like that?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

JB
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
110 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2023 :  08:55:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cross section of both are very similar. The front is curved, the sides are flat, the back has a channel for the sail lugs. The masthead crane is the same on both boats. The C25 mast is much heavier than the C250.

1988 C25 Wing Keel Std Rig Tohatsu 9.9 Tiller Steering and 2003 C250 Wing Keel Std Rig Inboard Diesel Wheel Steering
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2023 :  09:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going by the masthead, There were some years that the C25 and C250 used the same extrusion. This is something you will have to look into but this Masthead fit both for awhile.
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-25/rigging/standing-rigging/spar-fittings/masthead/masthead-complete-standard-rig-c-25-c-250/

Edited by - islander on 01/27/2023 09:05:32
Go to Top of Page

Jacob
1st Mate

Members Avatar

34 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2023 :  11:28:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Going by the masthead, There were some years that the C25 and C250 used the same extrusion. This is something you will have to look into but this Masthead fit both for awhile.
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-25/rigging/standing-rigging/spar-fittings/masthead/masthead-complete-standard-rig-c-25-c-250/

Yeah that's one of the things that led me to believe that the extrusions were the same. The fact that they used the same masthead. The masthead fits inside the mast extrusion so it seems like they would be the same. However, JB mentioned that the 25 mast is much heavier. I guess it's possible that the two masts could have the same inside dimensions but the C25 could have been built thicker and would therefore be heavier. Hmm.

The price of a new mast including shipping is over $10,000. This is way, way beyond my budget. What other options do I have in this situation? I have a bent/broken mast. But everything else is good except for one lower shroud. Good boom, standing and running rigging, furler, and great sails.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2023 :  12:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he portion of the casting that slides into the extrusion:
• Fore-to-aft length: 4"
• Width: 2-11/16"

Outside dimensions of mast extrusion this masthead is intended to fit:
• Width: 3"
• Fore and aft: 4-1/2"

Are these the same dimentions of your masthead? If so you might be able to use a C25 mast. All the same if you do find a C25 mast I would first make sure your mnasthead fits into it before buying. Another thing to check would be the lenght of the mast.

Edited by - islander on 01/27/2023 12:35:27
Go to Top of Page

Jacob
1st Mate

Members Avatar

34 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2023 :  13:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

he portion of the casting that slides into the extrusion:
• Fore-to-aft length: 4"
• Width: 2-11/16"

Outside dimensions of mast extrusion this masthead is intended to fit:
• Width: 3"
• Fore and aft: 4-1/2"

Are these the same dimentions of your masthead? If so you might be able to use a C25 mast. All the same if you do find a C25 mast I would first make sure your mnasthead fits into it before buying. Another thing to check would be the lenght of the mast.

I will get those dimensions from my masthead as soon as I get home today. Question though, how do you know what the outside dimensions of the mast are supposed to be by looking at the masthead? Or did you get the intended outside dimensions from some other source?
And also, yes the overall length would need to be the same or longer. I could cut off some length if it was too long.
Go to Top of Page

Jacob
1st Mate

Members Avatar

34 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2023 :  13:17:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also just want to say thank you to everyone that is responding to my post!

Edited by - Jacob on 01/27/2023 13:18:32
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2023 :  14:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Click on the link above for the masthead then click on the dimensions tab.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2023 :  21:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m not any kind of expert on C250 models, however, I have gathered that these boats are much more tender than C25s. This means that they are more likely to heel over in strong wind conditions. If the C25 masts are substantially heavier than C250 masts, and since the boat is intrinsically more tender, using a heavier mast will exacerbate the situation.
With all the good old boats out there with lighter and bendier masts, would it make sense to look for a used mast that’s lighter and just about the right size in your area instead of going for a $10,000 mast!
Maybe Facebook marketplace might list something? Or maybe check with marinas in your area who may have a few abandoned derelicts? Any salvage yards in SW Florida? You never know…

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2023 :  06:13:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried these sources?

https://catalinayachtsstore.com/wp/product/catalina-250-selden-water-ballast-mast/ $5547.

https://catalinayachtsstore.com/wp/product/catalina-250-mast/ $3810.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-250/rigging/standing-rigging/spars-fittings/mast-complete-c-250-seldeacuten-rig/ $2266.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Jacob
1st Mate

Members Avatar

34 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2023 :  07:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

Have you tried these sources?

https://catalinayachtsstore.com/wp/product/catalina-250-selden-water-ballast-mast/ $5547.

https://catalinayachtsstore.com/wp/product/catalina-250-mast/ $3810.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-250/rigging/standing-rigging/spars-fittings/mast-complete-c-250-seldeacuten-rig/ $2266.

Yeah, the last one there on your list is Catalina Direct. That one doesn't include anything but the mast, which is different than the one I have now. By time you add everything I need to make it work on my boat, plus shipping, it's just over 10,000. They are the ones that sent me the $10,000+ quote.
The one for 5500 from Catalina Yachts includes almost everything. It comes to $9884 including the shipping. But that's not including tax.
The one that is $3800 is my cheapest option for a brand new mast. I was looking at that one about a month ago and it said no longer in stock. But last week I noticed it doesn't say that anymore. It is the old style which is the same as what I had, so it should work with my existing equipment, and even includes new parts I wouldn't have to have. But shipping from them is $3000 so that option is around $6800, plus tax. I have a request in with them to see how much they would sell just the mast for. Because if I could get one of those masts which is the same as my original I wouldn't need everything else. I haven't heard anything yet.

Edited by - Jacob on 01/30/2023 07:14:00
Go to Top of Page

Jacob
1st Mate

Members Avatar

34 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2023 :  07:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Click on the link above for the masthead then click on the dimensions tab.

Oh, cool. I didn't even realize they had the dimensions on there.
Go to Top of Page

Jacob
1st Mate

Members Avatar

34 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2023 :  07:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

I’m not any kind of expert on C250 models, however, I have gathered that these boats are much more tender than C25s. This means that they are more likely to heel over in strong wind conditions. If the C25 masts are substantially heavier than C250 masts, and since the boat is intrinsically more tender, using a heavier mast will exacerbate the situation.
With all the good old boats out there with lighter and bendier masts, would it make sense to look for a used mast that’s lighter and just about the right size in your area instead of going for a $10,000 mast!
Maybe Facebook marketplace might list something? Or maybe check with marinas in your area who may have a few abandoned derelicts? Any salvage yards in SW Florida? You never know…

I am still hoping that the C-25 masts are the same, or at least some are the same, and I can find one that is. That being said, I have considered trying to retrofit some type of mast that is different than the original. Just not sure how much work that would be. I think I would have to have all new rigging and boom and furler then, and possibly sails to match? Then, possibly have to rearrange all the hardware on deck to match the new rig? Blocks, cars, tracks, mainsheet, locations of chainplates, backstay, etc. I really don't know how involved that process would be, to be honest. But it worries me a little!

Edited by - Jacob on 01/30/2023 07:33:36
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2023 :  12:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could buy a whole C25 for far less. Take what you need and sell the rest of the good stuff then junk it. A quick look around and I came up with this one in Fla.. https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/46374

Go to Top of Page

Wnccat25
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2023 :  15:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buy another one first. Just to see if you have a better one. Surely after a few you can come up w a good one.

INDIAN, 89 Catalina 25,wing keel,short rig, classic. W-NC
Go to Top of Page

Jacob
1st Mate

Members Avatar

34 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2023 :  15:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jacob

[quote]Originally posted by islander

You could buy a whole C25 for far less. Take what you need and sell the rest of the good stuff then junk it. A quick look around and I came up with this one in Fla.. https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/46374

That is definitely true, however I would be banking on the C25 mast being usable for me. I bid on a C25 on ebay and the auction ended just earlier today. So in the near future I may have some C25 parts up for sale here in the midwest if anyone is looking for anything. If it doesn't look like the mast will work I may just sell the whole boat. Or who knows, if I like the 25 I might keep it and just sell my C250 without a mast!

Edited to add- This is all I know about the boat: 1980, traditional cabin layout, and swing keel. I guess I will know sometime soon for sure how much alike its mast is with mine on the C250. I don't think they offered tall rigs in 1980, but I don't know that much about the C25s. But if it was longer than my mast that would be fine anyway because I could just cut some off.

Edited by - Jacob on 01/30/2023 15:59:24
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2023 :  16:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tall rig C25s were offered from the very beginning. Hull #1, Confetti, is a tall rig.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Jacob
1st Mate

Members Avatar

34 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2023 :  08:26:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

Tall rig C25s were offered from the very beginning. Hull #1, Confetti, is a tall rig.

Good to know! I'm not sure if the one I'm getting is a tall rig or not then. But I'm hoping either way I can make the mast work for me.
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2023 :  13:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for a tiller and a bimini if you happen to have available.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Jacob
1st Mate

Members Avatar

34 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2023 :  10:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

I'm looking for a tiller and a bimini if you happen to have available.

Sorry, it didn't come with a bimini and the tiller is shot. It is a laminated tiller and it was in the weather for 6 or 7 years. All the laminations came apart.

I got the boat home now. So far what I know is, the mast is the exact same length overall. The masthead is definitely the same. And the extrusion appears to be the same. So my next step as soon as I have time is to start removing the hardware from my 250 mast and installing it onto the mast from the 25. Sounds like this will be something nobody has done before, or at least not that I have been able to find. I'll try to take lots of pictures and notes as I go!
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2023 :  10:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jacob

Sounds like this will be something nobody has done before, or at least not that I have been able to find. I'll try to take lots of pictures and notes as I go!

I'm pretty sure you're right. You should consider submitting the project to our "tech tips," and also for an article in "Mainsheet" magazine. It has always been difficult to find a replacement for a dismasted boat.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page