Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Taking an inch off the top of the mast
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ecaj
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/05/2022 :  16:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I damaged the top of the mast where the two bolts hold the blocking device for the halyard. Has anyone had to cut down the top of the mast? It looks like I need to remove about 1 inch and remount the top hardware. Thanks for any assistance. I’m new to sailing.

ECAJ

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/05/2022 :  20:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without a photo of the damage, it's hard to offer advice, but, for me, Cutting an inch off the mast would be the last recourse. I'd take it to a good welder who knows how to weld aluminum and see if he can repair the damage.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2022 :  23:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could end up needing a whole new set of custom-sized shrouds and stays, since the turnbuckles likely won't be able to take up the slack or allow the adjustments you should be able to make, and a standard set won't fit. Also, you'd either have to remount the boom gooseneck an inch lower on the mast or shorten the mainsail. Your furler and jib could also be issues.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/06/2022 23:13:54
Go to Top of Page

JB
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
110 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2022 :  09:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cutting should be a last resort, but some of the height loss could be made up by increasing the thickness of the foot of the mast.

1988 C25 Wing Keel Std Rig Tohatsu 9.9 Tiller Steering and 2003 C250 Wing Keel Std Rig Inboard Diesel Wheel Steering
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2022 :  11:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JB

Cutting should be a last resort, but some of the height loss could be made up by increasing the thickness of the foot of the mast.

That could take care of the rigging, but not the boom (to match the luff-length of the mainsl).

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2022 :  11:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will also raise the spreaders one inch if that matters. The lower shrouds attach to the mast on a 250. The attachment points to the mast would also be 1in. higher and the lower shrouds would need to be 1in. longer. Toggles and turnbuckle adjustments could possibly make that up. You could have a 1in. Thick aluminum shim made that follows the footprint of the mast step and place it under the mast step. You will need mast step bolts that are 1in. longer. As Dave said you might or might not have a problem with the luff length of the main sail depending on how tight the tolerance is. Most sailmakers won't build a sail that tight in luff length. They give a little wiggle room.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 12/07/2022 12:04:40
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2022 :  22:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by islander

...As Dave said you might or might not have a problem with the luff length of the main sail depending on how tight the tolerance is. Most sailmakers won't build a sail that tight in luff length. They give a little wiggle room.
That "wiggle room" is to ensure good luff tension given inexact sailmaking (by fractions of an inch) and some stretch (by more). If the mast is a little tall boom to mast-head, there's definitely room for either. If a little short, maybe not.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/07/2022 22:41:58
Go to Top of Page

WK 727
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
72 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2022 :  16:44:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ECAJ, Steve brought it up immediately. It is difficult to help with limited information or no picture of the damage. Please share the boat information (C250, WK or WB standard/tall and the number). This information is invaluable to the wealth of experience found on this site. Next, the halyards are attached with bolts/pins on the masthead fixture which fit on the mast extrusion. Without a photo it is difficult to understand what has failed. FYI, the halyard sheaves on the masthead do have a tendency over time to fail from UV exposure and it is an easy replacement. We need more information.

Regards, John
Westlawn Institute graduate
Yacht Design and Naval Architecture
04 Catalina 250 WK
Standard rig w/wheel steering
Yanmar 9hp diesel
Go to Top of Page

ecaj
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2022 :  08:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all of these excellent thoughts on repairing my mast. By way of background, my sailboat is a 250 WB. The two bolts that hold on the top hardware were ripped off the top of the mast. So the repair would have to fix that area. I like the welder idea.
Erik

ECAJ
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2022 :  20:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, pictures could be worth the proverbial thousand words. But could a solution possibly be to drill in some other undamaged positions for bolts to do the same? A mast-head casting has mostly downward forces against the top of the mast from the stays and halyards which are somewhat in balance fore-and-aft. Welding could be a piece of the puzzle, but shifting to unwelded spots for the bolts might be advised by the welder, or be an option if he can't accomplish what's needed. I'm flying blind here, but trying to think just a little "outside of the box."

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

ecaj
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2023 :  16:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for your wise thinking, I talked with Catalina technical and his recommendation was to cut the mast down the 1” or so required at the top, then drill two new holes in the mast, remount the masthead and replace all the stays shorter than existing normal stays. I would have to custom length the stays. He was concerned about welding the mast. Thanks again.

ECAJ
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 01/12/2023 :  08:37:48  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How about posting pictures of the damage for us to see? Inquiring minds want to know.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/12/2023 :  22:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume the C-250 has a fixed boom position on the mast. Besides the stays and shrouds, your sails, particularly the main, would also be 1" (or whatever) too long on the luff, and your furler might need a modification. In the future, no sails or rigging would be replaceable with standard gear. (That should be disclosed to a buyer.) Re-mounting the boom an inch lower would solve the mainsail issue... Is the rest worth avoiding the price of a new (or pre-owned) mast? I don't know.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page