Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 I need to switch to a trailerable boat.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanS48
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/20/2022 :  21:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings all
Sadly the cost of hauling and winter storage is getting out of hand. I've had my C25 for 6 years now and it has been a great boat. It's a 1982 STD rig.
I sail mostly in Narragansett bay RI but do head out into the ocean on occasion.

I'm looking for recommendations for a boat with a swing keel or center board that can be easily hauled with a trailer. I have a great mooring spot in Newport RI so it will only be transported twice a season.
I was looking at a Hunter 240 but investigation shows it's more at home on a lake vs Narragansett Bay in RI. I see Catalina 21/22's around with a swing keel - how do they handle compared to the C25? also see a ton of O'Days around and MacGregor's. I know a smaller boat without a 'real keel' will not take the wind as well as the C25 but I need to find the best compromise. I could really use some recommendations.

Thanks in advance
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2022 :  18:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jan,

Well, if your C25 Fin keel is too heavy to trailer, you might consider a C250WB Water-Ballast or C250WK Wing-Keel.
Both models have a high freeboard, so they take the swells well.
They are not racers, but a C25 isn’t one either.
I have a C250WB and I’m glad to call you directly.
You can send me a forum email if you want to setup a call

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2022 :  22:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got me wondering about the fees around Narragansett Bay for hauling and winter storage. Last year in CT, the fee was around $1000-change. Sure it’s costly but I’m there just about six months. Costs more to park your car most places…
If I kept my boat at my summertime marina, the fee would be around $1700. A lot of folks just do it, they don’t want to be bothered. But I take my 7-mile odyssey every fall and spring, and I think of it as a Passage.
Now, Narragansett Bay is pretty big for such a small state of Rhode Island. There’s Newport and the rest of the attached island. I imagine that rates there are super high.
Then there’s the north end of the bay up by Providence and Riverside. I’d imagine that these more urban locales might be less costly. There’s Wickford, Quonset and Greenwich bays. There’s also Point Judith Salt Pond. No idea what the rates might be there. And Bristol, Warren, Barrington - I could be wrong, but these spots would seem a little less pricey.
Rather than find a different boat, why not find a less desirable marina?
Or if you have a backyard, there may be a towing service that will haul and launch your boat each season. One guy around my area was asking $700/year, but you had to have your own jackstands. They usually use seven for Passage at the marina. Not cheap the first year but then you have them.
Just some ideas…

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2022 :  00:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To Voyager
Hi, I'm currently mooring in Newport RI, I'm fortunate to have a spot that has been in my family for about 70 years, it's right in the center of Brenton's cove at Ft. Adams st park. For winter storage on hard, I trek up the bay towards Providence and use Greenwich Bay marina - it's horrible to get to since you have to snake your way between buoys to avoid hitting the sand. I've shopped around they have had in years past the best price, I'm guessing because of the issues in getting there.
As of this year the price is going to about $ 1,600. This includes hauling, washing the bottom, then relaunching in the spring. For this season I'm going to do it for another year but for next season I'm considering a slightly smaller boat - something I can haul myself.
I do have a yard and stands but the to/from hauling fees are $ 1,000. and add to that having to remove and cradle the mast. So far I've not found a yard that costs less anywhere in RI. It's sad that things are getting so expensive.
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2022 :  06:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Jan, you’re right. It looks like you have a great location right in the heart of Sailing City! The scenery must be amazing.
And even though you’re in a protected bay, when we get to the end of the season, winds, cold, snow(!!) can make your move very unpleasant.
While you’re looking for a suitable trailerable keelboat, a wing keel C25 is nice (if you can find one), but I would stay away from a retractable keel boat. While it makes launching easier and trailering much simpler, there’s always the mechanism to maintain and worry about. And while sailing performance is generally good, you may experience a difference in the solid feel of a fixed keel.
You must have a great deal of options for purchase with the number of boats just in the Bay, and lots of great sailing areas both in CT and SE Massachusetts. Wouldn’t fall be the best time to shop for “end of season” bargains?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

bjoye
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
105 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2022 :  08:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in the same boat (yes, pun intended). I pay thru the nose for a mooring in Boston, and trailer to winter storage at a yacht club near my home. Haul out and winter storage in Boston is ~$2000 for a 25 ft boat on a trailer. On the other hand, the cost of the trailer (completely rebuilt), cost of yacht club membership, cost of winter storage at said yacht club, and cost of the truck, insurance, and year round parking is also significant. It is almost a complete wash. Not to mention, the physical labor to launch and retrieve the boat solo. I don't see myself doing this in 10 years.

Just for the record, for my Catalina 25 Std, WK, it takes me over 2 hours to lower the mask and prepare fro transportation upon retrieval, and takes almost 4 hours to raise the mask and prepare the boat for launch. Add in a +4 nautical mile motor trip from ramp to mooring, it makes for a very long day.

"Frayed Knot" 1989 C-25 WK/SR #5878
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2022 :  09:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys - thanks so much for the input. For this year I don't have much choice but to pay the fees. I don't feel quite as bad hearing of the fees around Boston. You're right about the fall boat prices there are some great deals out there. I may go to a slightly smaller boat in the 21~23 ft range if it comes with a trailer and is in good condition. Regarding a boat with a retractable keel, from what I've seen and heard if you put a new cable on they are good for 10+ years so I'd be OK with that. For now I've decided to go for at least one more season with the C25 since it seems to be a solid boat and doesn't need anything.
Thanks again
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2022 :  18:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are all personal decisions, but, you may want to invest in a Triad trailer so you can store boat in winter at your house. If you do shift to a smaller boat the C-22 is a great option, however, maybe not for ocean or near ocean work. You know boat means Break Out Another Thousand -- if used and enjoyed frequently during the season it is doable. When not, time to reconsider. However out boats are the smallest that can do any type o close offshore work. Now I will be Debbie Downer -- if the economy tanks as some pundants fear, marinas may become much more flexible in pricing.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2022 :  18:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uh-oh! That’ll teach me to open my mouth. I just got the new bill from the winter marina, and the fee went up by $75! That $3.00 per ft more than last year!

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 09/24/2022 18:48:22
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2022 :  14:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to look at C-22's I suggest you look at this site. Chip Ford has a wonderful website about the C22 "Chip Ahoy" he used to own.

He also has some great stories documenting his yearly adventures up and down the East Coast from his home port in Marblehead.

https://www.chipford.com/

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2022 :  16:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The C-22 has quite a few things going for it: "camping" accommodations, good seaworthiness for the size, a huge population (>10,000 built), owners' organizations, Catalina Direct for parts and upgrades, and it's even still being built as the "Sport" model. Aside from that, there are (potentially) good options from Precision, Com-Pac, Capri 18', and others--it's the kind of thing where you know it when you see it.

I just have reservations about ballasted retractable keels on a boat that will spend the season in salt water. I've had enough challenges from an unweighted centerboard on a daysailer. It just adds to the possible issues that can spoil your day. A wing keel would seem to be preferable, and reasonable for trailering, but not so easy to find on a smaller boat. Com-Pac's shallow keels are also nice in that regard.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/29/2022 20:37:22
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2022 :  06:38:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 for the C22 Sport. A fellow slip mate owns one in Milford on Long Island Sound and I rarely see him or the boat during sailing season, since he and his crew spend lots of overnights away. While LI Sound sailing conditions don’t equal those of the Narragansett Bay and Block Island Sound, he’s perfectly comfortable taking 20-40 nautical mile cruises. From what I can tell, his boat is built just as well as the original C22 boats.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2022 :  06:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another option to consider would be to move up to a larger boat that can handle more crew and take on a partner with whom to share the cost, and of course the boat. While this arrangement is not for everybody, you have to have a close relationship or friend to make it work out. Because you have the rights to a mooring in a pretty awesome location, this is an item of great value. With that fact in mind, you could even set up some kind of advantageous partnership. Just a thought, but the outcomes could be better than downsizing…

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 09/30/2022 06:54:22
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2022 :  21:38:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, thanks so much for the input. However I came across a 95 C250 Waterballast. The current owner sails out of Cape Cod bay and occasionally gets out to the Atlantic on a calmer day. I'll be taking it for a test-sail late next week weather permitting. In his words 'It's not fast' but handles seas ok. With the water ballast empty the weight is about half of my C25 and the design makes it trailerable although it does not come with one. It does have a step transome and wheel steering. It would be in the water for a season at a time.
Anyone have any input or comments on this model ? I'm still researching on my end. And yes if this falls thru a C22 may be a good viable option. This 95 C250 is priced to sell quickly so I'm taking a look-see at least. Again thanks for all the input!
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2022 :  09:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan, you've been around for a while, so probably know about our Search function... I just tried it using "C-25 C-250" to find things that might compare the two--there are quite a few, such as this one (long) from quite a few years ago--still amusing and maybe informative--your call.

One thing that comes up in more than a few discussions is headroom. The wing keel C-250 eliminates the ballast tank, thereby lowering the floor considerably--I recall hearing the number 5". That's probably representative of the comparison between the 250WB and most C-25s, and the '89+ C-25s have more, still, due to a lowered floor after the swing keel model was retired. Day-sailors generally won't care that much--weekenders might. Our contributor Henk has owner's experience with both. But the WK model adds, I'm guessing, 1200-1500# to the trailering weight...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/02/2022 09:41:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page