Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Asymmetrical Spinnaker Rigging
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rhs944
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/13/2022 :  11:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are people attaching the asymmetrical Spinnaker tack to the bow? How are you running the sheet lines back? I'm assuming that you are using the factory winches and not adding two secondary winches to handle the spinnaker. My boat came with the sail, but the prior owner never used it. I'm the 3rd owner. Looking for any tips on rigging it.

Rick 1999 C250 WK, Cape Cod

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2022 :  14:38:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't answer specific to the C250, but not many C250 owners fly assyms, so, until one checks in, I'll get you thinking about it generally. First you have to decide whether you want to tack and gybe it inside the foretriangle, like a big genoa, or outside the foretriangle, like a symmetrical spinnaker. IMO, inside is easier and requires less extra hardware.

On most boats, if you fly it inside the foretriangle, the tack for an assym is attached to one of the holes in the stem fitting aft of the one used for the jib. If you fly outside the foretriangle, a retractable bowsprit would be in order.

In the absence of secondary winches, the sheets are usually led aft to snatch blocks that are attached to the stern cleats, and then led forward to the primary winches. I attached the blocks to the cleats by tying a short piece of line into a loop, about 12-15 inches. I fed the loop through the hole in the base of each horn cleat and then wrapped it over both horns of the cleat. You can buy those loops in a chandlery for +- $60, or you can make them, as long as you can tie a good knot.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 05/13/2022 17:54:06
Go to Top of Page

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2022 :  18:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rsh944,
I fly an asymmetrical Spinnaker, even race with it. There are a few ways to do this, and asking here, your going to get your ears full.
what do I do. I fly it inside of the jib.
The set up. 1. Attach a short line to the same place as the roll furling jib attaches to the deck. there are 2 holes there. attach a small carbine to the other end of that short line, to attach the tack of the asymmetrical Spinnaker.
2. To hoist, your going to use the jib halyard, and tie off once its up, on a cleat that's mounted on the mast. { or how ever you have to cleat this line ]
3. for the sheet lines, run them outside of ever thing, and back to the jib wenches. attach lines to Spinnaker, just like you would your jib. these can be attached to the bow when not in use.
4. open the forward hatch, all the way, tip it back to the mast, so it rest on the deck. this will be your shoot. the spinnaker come out of the hole, and goes back into the hole when knot i use.
5. after turning down wind, roll up the jib, all the way, then slack off the jib sheet lines till there laying on the deck, and out of the way, remove the lines from the wenches, now you can use the wenches for the Spinnaker lines.
6. go forward, or have a crew go forward, reach into the forward hatch, grab the Spinnaker ,attach the jib halyard to the head of the Spinnaker, attach the tack of the Spinnaker to that carbine, and short line [ see # 1 ], attach the Spinnaker sheet lines, then hoist. it will fly [ inside of the jib ], and will tack [ inside of the jib ].
Also, I use a dousing sock.
As i said, this is how I do it, and it works very well. I also have a Raymarine 2000 tiller pilot. It keeps the boat steady when I do this alone.
ps; Im 70 +

look forward to your opinion on this.
DB

Edited by - Dave Brown on 05/17/2022 18:41:32
Go to Top of Page

rhs944
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2022 :  05:47:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the insights. I was expecting to read that you would be attaching blocks ( port/Starboard) either to the rear cleats ( with a short line) or using pulpit eye with a block/snap ring combo. Clearly the pulpit setup is more $$ than the cleat attachment option, but running the control lines straight to the winches is even simpler. I like the idea of using the forward hatch to douse the sail. I was exploring a sock for that aspect. Having a novice crew or single handed sailing, I want to be able to get control of the sail quickly it things start to go wrong.
Good stuff to thing to think about as we move into Spring

Rick 1999 C250 WK, Cape Cod
Go to Top of Page

wm36
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 05/22/2022 :  18:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an interesting article. I don't fly one, but I think about trying it from time to time. This has some good ideas.
https://stingysailor.com/2020/06/06/how-to-rig-a-cruising-spinnaker-in-4-easy-stages-2/

Wayne & Lynn
Hillsboro OR
1995 C250 WB #151
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page