Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Whatever Happens I'm Sailing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

3474 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/15/2022 :  12:57:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I’m alive. I will carefully instruct several of my many girlfriends to post in the event of my untimely demise. I work at a medical clinic that has converted to EMR [ Electronic Medical Records } and we now have yet another layer of middle management with the IT geeks claiming additional control. We are no longer allowed to use the company computers for personal work nor bring in our own computers so I now log in infrequently using my laptop and cell phone hotspot at the end of the week as we close out the last clinic. As though I had time with our clinics filled post covid. Some docs in our practice have added Saturday clinics to catch up. This in spite of seeing the millennials staring at their phones all day. I have had to move closer to work and farther away from my beloved boat and often by the time I get to her climbing aboard exhausted I motor out, anchor and read as the waves slowly rock me to sleep. The fear of catching covid has drained me after days exposed to several hundred patients. Most days are 7am-5pm. Weaker with age and today sick with a head cold some delightful patient had delivered; the boat rest is blessed. I miss reading the forums posts and interacting with everyone but my involvement has become quite thin and occasional. My new house occupies my time with endless tasks presenting themselves around every corner.

I truly miss everyone as your input directs and motivates my projects to completion.

Not that I havn’t been sailing, out in March several windy times. This Easter Sunday should be delightful.

Cheers and fear not I will return more often for further inspiration…

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 04/15/2022 13:05:31

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2022 :  18:01:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW -- Ray, long time no hear! Glad you are surviving these weird Covid years. I too, enjoy just sitting on the boat, away from all. Keep sailing!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2022 :  18:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tough business, Ray--I have a daughter in the ER and a cardiac office, and another who was in Doctors Without Borders--now in the State Department, soon headed for Africa... I admire them and you beyond words!

I consider electronic medical records and interchange tremendous additions, having worked toward them in the software industry up to about 16 years ago when they hadn't reached their goals. Having everything about me available to whoever needs it now, anywhere, can make the difference. Meanwhile, as you know, hospitals and labs are being virtually shut down by internet villains. Security outweighs a lot of the "freedoms" we've enjoyed. If your personal laptop is infected (and you won't know if it is), it could infect the systems in your facility just by connecting to its network, with ransomware or whatever that can shut down critical systems on command from Ilzonia.

The lines have to be drawn... Maybe the benefit to us personally is that when we're on the boat, we aren't allowed to be in the network. We're in the "other world", as we should be. (..until our cell phone rings.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2022 :  09:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<< The lines have to be drawn. >>

Yepper Dave, I totally understand the IT position, yet preventing our personal use on our own access seems futile given the number of access points our servers have. Hundreds of patients access the wifi daily. I doubt my laptop would be their downfall.

If you haven't read it, it sounds like you might like the book Sandworm by Andy Greenberg.

Isn't it nice the Sailboat doesn't have a network...

Cheers to keeping your OS updated!

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2022 :  14:05:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Real glad to see your still around Ray. Sailing is a great way to escape the trials as of late. Just untie and go.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2022 :  17:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ray, glad to hear from you. BTW, you were NOT in my mind when I asked, “Hey, whatever happened to …?”
I figured that you were still hanging out on the boat down at Lake Lanier, somewhere around Suwannee, Lawrenceville, etc. The ATL usta be my stompin’ ground when I was a Yellowjacket, but I lived downtown within smelling distance of the Varsity.
Please keep up the good deeds helping people with their meds. Somebody’s got to keep track of things.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

csmcg
1st Mate

Members Avatar

96 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2022 :  18:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Ray, I hope that things remain OK with your work and covid exposure.

I am a first responder and am regularly exposed, but certainly not to the extent that you describe.

I get the sleep assist from our sailboat as well.

During sailing season, our 250-WK has been a haven on some nights, and really helps me sleep when otherwise I would struggle.

Safe journeys.

Regards, Chris
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2022 :  08:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ray, I’m glad that you’re still hanging in there.

One of the morals of your story is that even though the “popular wisdom” has declared that COVID is over, nothing could be further from the truth.

Especially true for older or immune-compromised individuals, it’s still just as potent and deadly, and a lot more communicable than its previous strains.

I’m on vaccine #4 (original 2-shots, a booster, and now bi-valent booster), and I’m still very careful. I do not travel for work (I’m lucky on that), and don’t go to theaters, indoor concerts, or sit inside restaurants.

Back on Ray’s original thread. I’m so-o-o-o glad that we’ve had the boat as a refuge from the pandemic, either together with my close circle of family members, or solo. It’s been a huge blessing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page