Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Sail Repair Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/05/2022 :  20:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to re-stitch about three feet along the leech of my 150 to repair a section where the leech line got snagged on the end of the spreader. The sailcloth is not damaged, it just pulled the stitching loose.

All the local lofts are booked up for weeks and I need to get this repaired asap.

Anyone know if a 50's era Singer sewing machine might be able to handle this repair?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2022 :  04:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have an ordinary household sewing machine, try it. Re-stitching a leech pocket only involves sewing through about 3 layers of sailcloth. An ordinary machine might be able to handle it. I re-stitched mine using a 1980s vintage entry-level home sewing machine.

I'd suggest you look for a used sewing machine at estate sales. Older folks had them, back in the day, and you have a better chance of finding a decent one at a good price than elsewhere. Good, older machines will be somewhat heavy, which means they have mostly metal gears. Any quality, name brand machine from the 50-70s should be able to do minor sail repairs and sunbrella projects.

I have a Sailrite machine, but it weighs 70 lbs and is a beast to carry and set up. My go-to machine, whenever it can handle the job, is a 5 yr old Brother sewing machine from Walmart. It weighs about 15-20 lbs, and is easy to set up and use. I'm sure it's chock full of plastic gears, but hey, it works.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2022 :  06:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked up a 50-60s era Brother machine. Its all metal and no plastic and built like a tank.Thats how they were back then. I used it to double stitch a headsail that is lightweight and was only single stitched. Worked great. As long as your not going through 4 layers of cloth a standard machine should work. Get the correct needles and UV thead from sailrite. They are very helpful.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 04/06/2022 16:41:52
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2022 :  18:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I have never sewn sail cloth, we too have two "old" Singer sewing machines -- one from the 1940's the other 1950's. Both, like Scott's, built like tanks. My wife HAS seen cushion material similar to Sunbrella successfully. If you can find an old sewing machine at a house sale or Craigslist/Ebay, etc., it should handle the job. Also ask around, some of your friends/neigbors may have one. Finally, if all else fails Sailbrite rents their machines. Probably expensive, but they are designed for such work.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2022 :  21:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mom passed last May and I have her Singer sewing machine from the late 40’s/early 50’s. It probably weighs at least 50 pounds and is all metal.

Think I’ll give Sailtite tomorrow.

Any suggestions on the thread I should use?

Thank you all for your guidance!

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2022 :  01:18:05  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did a double take seeing Scott's 1950s Brother sewing machine.  I have a similar one, and concur, they're all metal and built to last.  I found mine on Craig's List or similar local ads.  Seller had it in their attic for decades.  It's like new, all complete, including table and embroidery cams.  I think I paid $125 for it a few decades ago with a smile on my face.

So far, the most nautical work I've done with it was minor sail mods for a dinghy, and custom boat canvas.  It punches though about half a dozen layers of Sunbrella, and a similar thickness of denim.  It could use more power.  However, it has external belt drive, so a motor swap is a possibility.

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2022 :  05:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary Please give Sailrite a call. They know there stuff and cater to nubies like us. Tell them what you are doing and that it is a home machine that you are using. I strongly suggest this because I could be wrong and its been awhile since I did my sail but I think it was...
#16 round point(sharp) needles for home machine
V69 Poly thread

Sailrite

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2022 :  16:51:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Gary Please give Sailrite a call. They know there stuff and cater to nubies like us. Tell them what you are doing and that it is a home machine that you are using. I strongly suggest this because I could be wrong and its been awhile since I did my sail but I think it was...
#16 round point(sharp) needles for home machine
V69 Poly thread

Sailrite

Thank you Scott. I didn’t get a chance to call today but will try tomorrow. I’ll advise what they recommend.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2022 :  14:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got off the phone with Jeff at Sailrite. He spent a good 20 minutes on the phone helping me with Part #’s and explaining how to repair the leech line pocket. Sounds like it should be a relatively simple process.

He advised most home sewing machines can handle 3 to 4 layers of 5 oz. Sailcloth if you take it slow (the older the machine the better). He’s sending the #16 needles mentioned above and also #18 needles in case the 16’s tend to jam with the thread and multiple layers of sailcloth.

He advised to use a 3/16” wide zig-zag stitch if your machine can sew it and adjust the length of the stitch so it looks appropriate/matches the existing stitching.

If your machine can only sew a straight stitch he advised to set the length to the longest your machine is capable of sewing.

With shipping and some spare materials total cost was $47.

Hope this provides some info that will be useful in the future.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 04/20/2022 14:40:41
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2022 :  14:47:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary I practiced on some denim from an old pair of jeans to get the stitch and settings right before sewing my sail. It helped.

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2022 :  16:01:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Gary I practiced on some denim from an old pair of jeans to get the stitch and settings right before sewing my sail. It helped.

Excellent idea! Thank you for the suggestion. I was wondering how
I could practice.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page