Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Where to launch in SF Bay area
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cudamank
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/03/2021 :  12:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm looking to take my 25'FK SR to the bay area for a little sailing over a week. What are the options for putting in?

I have a trailer with extended hitch pole for a deep ramp. My original plan was to put up in Stockton and take the river and delta down to the bay over the course of several days. Then a couple of days of the bay and then back to stockton. (May have been a little ambitious)

Looking to do this In January, unless the weather would prevent it. Otherwise I would have to wait until August.

Appreciate the input.

1982 Catalina 25 SR FK
"Jenny"

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2021 :  23:34:47  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are quite a few municipal launch ramps around the Bay Area, and others that are privately maintained (but available to the public). Here are some resources:

http://www.boatharbors.com/ (covers all of California, very comprehensively)

https://boatingsf.com/listings/boat-ramps/ (it's a little out of date, so calling the phone numbers provided would be advisable)

Latitude38's Delta Primer: http://www.deltadoodah.com/pdf/DeltaPrimer.pdf

I won't try to influence your choice of destination or cruising grounds, but if you spend most of your time motoring down or up the rivers you'd be missing out on so much. If you launch down closer to the Bay, instead of up in Stockton, you might enjoy a more balanced trip.

By the way, for cruising the Bay and Delta region with a FK you'll need to be very careful; we have a lot of "skinny water" and significant tides. People go aground a lot in the Delta region.

The other issue is your timing. As you know, in January we usually have too much wind (storms) or too little (time between storms). You'll be motoring a lot. In August, on the other hand, we get clear weather and that highly-reliable afternoon breeze every day. If you get here in January the Delta could be nice (between storms), but bring multiple fuel tanks. If you come in August, plan on spending more time down here on the Bay, and figure on some lively, world-class sailing - this ain't lake sailing!

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)

Edited by - Lee Panza on 12/04/2021 23:39:23
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 12/05/2021 :  08:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't do much better than advice from Lee. I would draw your attention to the Berkeley Marina which offers ready access to bay sailing as well as visitor slips. Weather is everything and, as Lee says, it's very variable.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

cudamank
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2021 :  15:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Lee and Tim, sounds like I should wait and spend my 53rd birthday at the Bay.

1982 Catalina 25 SR FK
"Jenny"
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2021 :  21:13:03  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Get back in touch when you're about ready to come up, and I'll arrange to meet up with you somewhere in the North or Central Bay to take pictures of you under sail. I take pix of our beer can racers during the summer; nothing "artful" but nice anyway. The fact is that we never get to see what our boats look like underway from beyond the lifelines without getting wet. Oh, and if you'll be sailing on the Bay in August, make sure you're prepared to tuck a reef in your main and either partially furl your headsail or you have a relatively small sail you can fly (my working jib is about a 95%, and I usually furl it partially when I'm beam-reaching up or down the Bay on Summer afternoons).

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page