Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Heads
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RonyP
Deckhand

Member Avatar

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/21/2021 :  18:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings from over the pond. I have a Jaguar 25,UK built Catalina 25. It has the original Ballhead marine head and I want to replace it with a Jabsco. I am looking get advice on doing this work myself and have a few questions. What is the best way to seal up the old Hull discharge opening, does the inner moulding need reinforced where the new head is bolted down. Does the wash basin casing/drawer need to be replaced or reduced . A YouTube of the whole operation would be very helpful if anyone can point me to one or any not specific that might be helpful.
Thanks in advance for any help
RonyP

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2021 :  19:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Googled that bizarre contraption and it looks like something out of Wallace & Grommet, lol.

Are you permitted to discharge the head directly or are you looking to install a holding tank?

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2021 :  21:06:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to the website listed here, older UK boats were “grandfathered” regarding sewage discharge, and that as of some date in the recent past, new boats were required by the British government to have holding tanks.

See https://thegreenblue.org.uk/you-your-boat/info-advice/water-pollution-prevention/sewage/

It’s possible that if a British boater refits their older boat with a new head, they may not be required to install a holding tank.

Others may have direct knowledge of the regulations. You never know…

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2021 :  12:29:52  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
RonyP:

This might be an appropriate time for you to consider changing to a self-contained "composting" head (the term is a misnomer, although the collected solids can be truly composted in a dedicated set-up on land).

I've been using an Air Head, which I had ordered at a boat show, after I had compared the features of these and various alternatives and decided this was my best option. I've been using mine for five years. I periodically empty the "pee" tank, but I have not had to empty the solids tank yet; I daysail frequently, sometimes with a guest, although my solids tank doesn't receive frequent "deposits."

There are many advantages to these systems, especially for a small boat. Among them: smell is not an issue. I don't have to make sure I get to a pump-out dock periodically. Emptying the "pee" tank is much easier than emptying the tank of a "porta-potty." It's easy to "winterize." It's environmentally safer.

I'd recommend that you look into this concept before you make a decision.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2021 :  07:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I strongly support Lee’s suggestion to consider a composting toilet. (Although I am shocked Lee hasn’t had to empty the solids in 5 years!). We are full time cruisers and fitted a C-Head 12 months ago. One of the best improvements we ever made. We dump the solids about every 12-14 days with fulltime use by 2 people. Emptying is as easy as dumping a 5 gallon bucket into a trash bag. And there is truly no smell at all.

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14

Edited by - dalelargent on 10/26/2021 07:13:20
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2021 :  20:21:25  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just got around to the July issue of Practical Sailor, and found they'd devoted eight pages to this subject. And, of course, the websites for Air Head, Natures Head, and C-Head have a lot of information.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page