Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Installing a bimini
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bouy
1st Mate

Member Avatar

33 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/30/2021 :  11:57:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 1980 Catalina 25 standard rig. Wondering if I will need to raise the boom any in order to install a bimini.

81 sksr #1733

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2021 :  20:43:31  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Re:  Wondering if I will need to raise the boom any in order to install a bimini.

If you mean permanently modify the boom height, then no, not so long as your mainsail luff and mast are Catalina 25 standard rig lengths.

While wrestling the bimini on or off the boat, or while folding or deploying it, I swing the boom out to one side temporarily to get it out of the way.

However once the bimini is where you want it, the boom should clear it just fine.

If you're measuring for a new bimini, then first mark the mast and topping lift at the lowest boom position while sailing (max tension on main halyard, then downhaul, then mainsheet, then take up topping lift slack).  Support the boom at that height, and allow a few additional inches clearance below it, when measuring for the bimini.

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2021 :  21:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine was fine a couple of inches below the boom at sailing height (as Leon describes).

For measuring, you'll need to decide whether you want to put it on top of the coamings, on the side deck outside of the coamings, or on the genoa track for some fore-aft adjustment (as some have done). When I ordered mine, I made it a few inches taller than my measurements, saw how it cleared the boom, and then cut a little off the two legs to get the height just right. (Shortening is easy--lenghening, not so much.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

bouy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

33 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2021 :  08:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, thanks. This will help a lot.
Thinking about using Sailrite a source for the bimini. Has anyone had experience with this company?

81 sksr #1733
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2021 :  09:28:50  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Re:  "Thinking about using Sailrite a source for the bimini.  Has anyone had experience with this company?"

Although I haven't ordered a bimini from Sailrite, I've done a trickle of business with them over a couple decades.  They seem very competent and helpful, dedicated to the DIY canvas and sail sewing market.  I wish their sewing machines weren't so expensive.

Sailrite has more DIY sewing videos on YouTube than I can count.  I encourage anyone considering a new bimini to watch a few of their how-to bimini videos:

"How to Build a 3 Bow Bimini Frame"

"How to Pattern for a Bimini on a Boat"

"How to Make a 3 Bow Bimini Top"

That last 2 hour long one convinced me I need to pay somebody local to do it for me. 

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page