Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Heaving to
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

glivs
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/18/2021 :  18:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really works....Has been a very stressful summer and I've had little boat time so Thursday I took a mental health break and went for a mid-day solo sail. Winds were predicted 10-15 kt and I stayed in the outer bay so waves were no more than 1'. White caps made up maybe 1% of the waves at first and I was flying a full main and my 150%. Late in the afternoon, however, winds quickly rose and within minutes seemingly 50% of waves were now breaking and I was way overpowered. I dropped the traveler, tightened the outhaul and spilled the top of the mainsail but then things started to go wrong. I turned into the wind to take a few turns on the furler but it appeared to be jammed and the headsail began flaying and when I lowered the main to put in a reef two slugs came out of the slot because as I would soon learn the stopper at the top of the mast slot had dropped out. I had room so I hove to and wow....it was like the world got put on pause. I was calmly drifting laterally about 2.7 kt but the noise of the headsail was ended and I was able to sort out the problems, put the reef in the main, take up a few turns on the furler and continue my sail. Whew....

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2021 :  08:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is pretty amazing, like hitting the pause button. I did it once when I had jittery guests on board in 10-15, just to show them how quickly it could go from lively to dead calm.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2021 :  21:03:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a cold front passage last night we had building wind and gusts above 20 kts today. Temps were in the pleasant high 70°s with very sunny skies so I was in no mood to go home. I had plenty of sea room to leeward so I reefed my main, half-furled the genoa then back-winded it, and lashed the tiller hard opposite my jib. I crept along at about 1kt and enjoyed my Philly cheese steak with all the trimmings for lunch. Mmmm-mmmm!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page