Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Near miss at Port Huron!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/24/2021 :  09:22:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a scarey video of a near collision involving a Great Lakes freighter and a Catalina 36.

It must have happened in the Port Huron River. When the river turns, the ship has to turn with it, and stay in the marked, deep water channel. Whenever a recreational boater is in the deep water channel, and sees a big ship coming, he needs to move to the edge of the channel where it's safe, and leave the center of the channel to the big ship. The big ship can't stop or lose steerageway in a confined channel. You can see that the ship steered hard to starboard until he cleared the sailboat, and then steered back to port to get into the center of the channel. After they passed each other, the starboard channel markers come into view, and it appears that the ship came close to the edge of the deep water channel in order to avoid hitting the sailboat.

The sailboat should have seen the ship coming and anticipated that it would be turning toward him as the river turned, and moved out of the center of the marked channel. I suspect the sailboat skipper was a little panicked and couldn't decide whether to go to starboard or port to get out of the ship's path. It wouldn't matter whether the sailboat moved to the port or starboard side of the channel, as long as he left the middle to the ship. He should have started the engine and motored to the edge of the channel before the ship rounded the bend in the river.

https://youtu.be/7Xb7BLe6580

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2021 :  11:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the intercoastal on the Gulf, the tugboat skipper will usually call a sailboat in the channel on VHF and ask which side should he past.
This lead to this exchange I heard a few years ago:-
Tug: Sailboat at marker 81, should I pass on the 1 or the 2?
Silence from the sailboat.
Tug: Do you want me to pass on stbd or port?
Sailboat Silence
Tug: What the fxxx do you want me to do?
Still silence from the sailboat and as I was out in the actual Gulf I never saw nor heard what happened. I've always wondered...

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2021 :  06:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They aren't usually as considerate of recreational boaters on the Chesapeake Bay. They usually don't call us. If we call them to coordinate with them, sometimes they'll reply and sometimes not. Usually their reply will be helpful, but sometimes it will be snarky. It's up to us to stay out of their way. If I think it will help both of us to coordinate with them, I'll call on vhf. If they make a snarky reply, that's on them.

One of the big races of the year is the Governor's Cup. It's an all-night race 70 NM down the bay. One year, a freighter was coming up the bay against a stream of 70-80 yachts on a very dark night. The freighter's Bay pilot was a woman, and she was sweeping the path ahead of her with a spotlight, using the radio to alert sailors and doing everything she could to ensure that she didn't run down any sailboats. That's the only time I've seen a freighter be that solicitous of recreational yachts during a night race. Kudos to her.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2021 :  08:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least you have more room to manoever on the Chesapeake than we did in the intercoastal. The tugboats (for some reason they are called "tows" here) pushing 2 or 3 barges create quite a water disturbance in a narrow channel that the sailboat on the side will be temporarily aground.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2021 :  06:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"This video has been removed by the uploader."

But while on the subject... Another factor I've experienced, especially on a large body of water, is that your eyes can can be fooled by the perspective of a large ship, being more used to seeing approaching much smaller boats. The ship can appear to be almost not moving, but close on you much more rapidly than your eyes are suggesting it will. When the ship finally is going by, maybe a few hundred yards away, you realize how it is that it got here that quickly!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2021 :  07:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's too bad the video was taken down, because it clearly illustrates how quickly an encounter between a freighter and recreational yacht can become serious.

Whenever you're in a deep water channel used by big ships, you should always be aware of where you are in relation to the channel. If possible, you should stay out of it. If you must enter it, stay on one side of it unless you have to cross it. If you have to cross it, keep a sharp lookout for approaching ships and get across quickly.

Unless you're near the edge of the channel, steer towards the nearest edge immediately. Unless you have plenty of wind and a fast angle to the wind, don't try to sail out of it's way. Start your engine immediately and open the throttle. As Dave said, they're going faster than they appear.

As they're approaching you, if all you can see of them is their bow, they're on a collision course. If you can see their bow and one side of the ship, they should pass clear of you, unless the ship alters it's heading.

There's no need to fear big ships as long as you know what to expect and how to avoid them.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2021 :  21:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Collision course isn't quite that simple if you and another vessel are on crossing courses... In that case, watch the bearing to the other vessel relative to your own, using something like a stanchion or shroud. If the other vessel's position relative to that "thing" doesn't change, you are on collision course. If the vessel moves forward of the thing, it will pass in front of you--if it moves aft, you will cross ahead of it, although you need to consider how close you want that to be (if at all), and realize this method assumes unchanging courses and speeds for both vessels.

Then, if the other vessel is in your general size category, the rules of the road come into play (assuming the other vessel pays attention to them, which is shaky assumption). However, if it's a tanker, container ship, Great Lakes ore boat, cruise ship, Navy vessel, etc., then the universal "Rule of Tonnage" takes over: "Stay the hell away."

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/26/2021 21:31:30
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2021 :  10:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The video has been posted again. You can see it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqfyUJDzWrQ

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2021 :  13:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Anyone got some clean underwear down in the cabin?

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page