Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Mooring LInes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rhs944
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/20/2021 :  09:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a WK250 that i've owned for a year. She sits on a mooring. What is the recommended way to tie to the mooring, given the storm coming. There are two lines off the mooring. One with a D ring, & one with a loop. I don't use the D ring as seen posts suggesting not to use that to the towing eye. Currently using two 1/2" lines through the loop line tying off on each bow cleat. Any other suggestions? Recommendations?

Rick 1999 C250 WK, Cape Cod

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2021 :  10:52:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, 1/2" line is way too big. Replace it with 3/8" line. Mooring line should be able to stretch under load, to absorb the shock. A C250 isn't heavy enough to stretch 1/2" line. If the line doesn't absorb the shock, then, when the line pulls up short, it can tear out the cleats of a small boat. Also, 1/2" line doesn't fit your cleats. It's too fat and it's too stiff to wrap tightly around small cleats.

A single 3/8" line alone is strong enough to hold the boat through most any storm, especially if the line doesn't chafe. By having two lines, if one chafes through, the other one will still hold the boat. I generally double up my lines when a hurricane is coming.

If you're a belt and suspenders advocate, hook the second mooring pendant to the bow eye. Leave it slightly slack so that it only takes up the load if the other two lines fail.

Realistically, if a storm is so violent that an arrangement like that won't hold your boat, then look to your insurance.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2021 :  11:42:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an excellent read on how to. Especially how to tie up to a morning ball and prevent chafe in a storm. As Steve said, 3/8 line is what you want. One line for each cleat this way if one let's go you still have another. https://www.lifeofsailing.com/post/tie-sailboat-to-mooring-ball

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2021 :  12:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A chart I just read gives a dock/mooring line recommends a minimum of 3/8" working on a scale of 1/8" diameter for every 9 feet of boat. On that basis, 3/8" should be acceptable for boats up to 27' in length.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

rhs944
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2021 :  13:11:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great advice and link! Thanks for the insights. Will be move lines to 3/8" tonight

Rick 1999 C250 WK, Cape Cod
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2021 :  05:27:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you still have time, a rubber snubber is a good addition to your line. That adds a great deal of flex to lessen shock loads on your cleats. I use them when preparing for weather events. Your local boating store should offer them.

Here’s an example like mine from Taylor.
https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Made-Products-Mooring-Snubber/dp/B002N5L446/ref=asc_df_B002N5L446/

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page