Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Tighten my forestay with Hood furler mounted.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/22/2021 :  11:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My backstay is a bit loose even when I crank the turnbuckle to the full extent. Nonetheless, from the side, the mast appears to be pretty plumb but I don’t trust that the forestay turnbuckle is tight enough, and it may need some more turns. Getting at it is the problem.

I have a Hood furler drum and foil mounted on the forestay so the furler completely covers the turnbuckle. I haven’t yet bent on my jib sail so the assembly is relatively moveable. I tried to lift the entire furler assembly up the forestay so the turnbuckle would be accessible, however, it goes up a certain distance and then stops. The top of the foil hits the end of the cable.

I can see the turnbuckle up inside the drum with a flashlight, and there are two cotter pins holding the threaded sections in place. I need to remove the cotter pins to turn the turnbuckle, but I really cannot reach them with my regular wire cutters or a needle-nosed pliers. Also, I need to hold the top threaded rod to prevent unwrapping the forestay wire.

Has anyone else had to wrestle with this problem, and what was your approach?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 04/22/2021 11:24:22

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2021 :  05:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, If I remember there is a split plastic retainer that you have to remove . It is located above the drum and when you remove it you will be able to slide the drum assembly up and over the extrusion exposing the turnbuckle. It is split so there are two halves. It is black plastic and might be held by a screw. Remove the screw and then slide the two plastic retainers up and out of the tube. found this video that shows the plastic retainer. Yours might be somewhat different but I remember we stumbled on this split retainer and it was a "oh that's how" moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wGJ-vBePRw

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2021 :  05:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's another video that shows the split plastic retainers. One is partially out of the tube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISMPCb_ewu4

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2021 :  07:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may not have the screw holding the retainers in. You might have two black plastic buttons on each side of the tubing that you will have to push in to release the retainers.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2021 :  20:54:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah yes Scott! That looks awfully familiar now that you mentioned it. I’m going to the boat in the morning and will give that a try. Many thanks!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2021 :  19:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That did the trick! The split clip that holds the drum to the foil is removable with one 1/2” bolt. Once I got the locktight unjammed, the pieces came right out. I was able to completely lift the drum up and over the forestay turnbuckle, loosen the backstay and adjust the two against each other. Afterwards I readjusted the lower shrouds to make sure the mast was in-column and plumb.The upper shrouds were nice and tight, but not overtightened. Everything got ample lube in the furler and the stainless steel wires all look clean - no rust and no meathooks.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2021 :  04:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page