Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Mercury Pro Kicker 9.9
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RPLieser
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/16/2021 :  19:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked up a 2017 Mercury 9.9 Pro Kicker XL with electric start & tilt, with only 10 hours run time.

Question(s):
1. Anyone mounted one to their 250WB?

2. Given the kinda massive mount bracket (13" deep) and nearly 3.5" available bite on the transom, I'm thinking of adding a significant transom plate to thicken the transom, provide some rigidity, and it will likely move the motor aft 1.5" or so.

Thoughts?

Patrick Lieser

C250WK #973
Knot My Fault III
Avila Beach, CA

(PO of C250WB #312)

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 01/16/2021 :  21:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might need to get a different prop. A 9.9 HP on an aluminum jon boat might need a very different prop from a several thousand pound displacement sailboat. I'm just guessing here, so check it out for yourself.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

davidtree
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
18 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2021 :  06:01:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! I went through last season with replacing my Honda, kind of miss her! but 30 years and i was pushing the runtime on it.
I got a 9.9 hp Tohatsu. Same auto lift and electric start. Really nice, more power, and got a 4 blade prop.

First the transom opening and mounting plate were a snug fit for the mounting bracket! And then the body of the motor and covering were larger than the Honda, so when you lifted it- it just fit between the gas storage and the inside of the cockpit. it almost came in touch with my cat seat stansons that secures the seat. I had to move it just so to clear all, and it now covers most of the drain holes in floor of cpck pit. Be carefull, new motors are great, but much bigger in size, Dvid
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2021 :  07:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same motor (no tilt) with standard 4-blade prop on my C25. You will love this motor. The ability to maintain control at low speed and stop on our mooring ball regardless of wind is a joy. I can't speak to the C250 mounting but in hindsight, I should have pushed our motor mount back 1.5". As is (0.5" offset), I have to rotate the motor to clear the pushpit when tilting the motor all the way up...so test your clearances if possible before bedding the mounting hardware.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

RPLieser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Response Posted - 01/26/2021 :  15:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've another question please:

What material type is used for a thicker transom pad?

Patrick Lieser

C250WK #973
Knot My Fault III
Avila Beach, CA

(PO of C250WB #312)

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2021 :  21:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some people purchase Star-Board boat thick plastic material. It’s like a dense HDPE material that’s really tough.
Instead you can go to a home goods kitchen equipment store and get a thick plastic cutting board. Same material, more or less, and a heckofalot less costly.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2021 :  08:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard or read somewhere that the kitchen cutting boards are missing some UV protection that Starboard is made with. They might get a little yellow...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

alippold
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2021 :  04:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have this configuration on my boat. I have pictures if they would be useful...need to figure out how to upload them on this forum

Amber Waves
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2021 :  06:42:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two different ways to post photos.
1. Use the built-in Forum codes with the format:
“[ img] https://www. your url pathname.jpg[/img]”
(note the space between [ and img should not be there, but l used it to make the syntax visible in this example.

2. Create a subfolder in your photo sharing app and allow permissions to anybody to view the subfolder (read-only). Of course make sure that the permissions for your main folders are set to privacy. Post the url to the subfolder in your post to let folks browse your public gallery.

I’ve used Flickr (now Smugmug) for years for all my public boating photos. Works pretty well. That’s where l keep my signature photo.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 03/21/2021 06:54:32
Go to Top of Page

RPLieser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2021 :  07:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to see the pics. I'm finally gonna pull the boat in a few weeks, and I'm curious about clearances and the port-to-starboard offset.

Patrick Lieser

C250WK #973
Knot My Fault III
Avila Beach, CA

(PO of C250WB #312)

Go to Top of Page

alippold
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2021 :  14:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok...am going to try posting pictures. I live up north so my boat is on the trailer covered with tarps. This is why there are lots of tarps in these pictures. The boat is also very dirty. It will get a spring cleaning in another month when we start getting some warm weather.

This mount was on the boat when I purchased it. I replace the Honda that was on the boat with the Mercury Pro-Kicker 9.9 with tilt and electric start. It works great!

The mount isn't pretty but it works.

Port side of mount

Starboard side

Inside fuel locker you can see it bolted through

And inside the boat you can see the thru bolts. When I purchased the boat only the wood backing was in place. It started to leak a little bit so I removed the parts that were leaking, resealed everything and added the steel backing plates.

Amber Waves

Edited by - alippold on 03/21/2021 14:26:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page