Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Capri 25 - Boom internal rigging
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LT_Smash
Deckhand

Member Avatar

Canada
15 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/19/2020 :  19:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,

Questions on how you have your booms/outhaul/reefing lines set up.

Does anybody know how the outhaul was set up originally on these boats, or do you have a better way to run it? Here's a sketch of how mine is set up.

https://ibb.co/TtP8CmN

I'm curious why only one of the plastic sheaves at the front of the boom is being used. Is the other one for a reefing line or...???

What is the second metal sheave used for at the aft end of the boom? The PO had the topping lift tied to it. Don't see why a sheave would be tied to...

The starboard side of my boom has an exit hole and cleat for the outhaul. The port side has an unused exit hole and a cheek block on a track at the rear. I was using the cheek block for reefing - is there supposed to be reefing lines inside the boom as well?

Thanks for your insights!
LT_Smash

Edited by - LT_Smash on 03/19/2020 19:57:07

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2020 :  05:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the manuals and Brochures section of this website you should find a lot of the original manufacturer's drawings.
This should answer a lot of your questions.
Look in the selected architectural drawings for the boom assembly (page 4)

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433
Go to Top of Page

LT_Smash
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Canada
15 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2020 :  07:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Joe. I have the architectural drawings but they do not match my boom. The drawings are dated 1981 and mine is a 1980.
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2020 :  07:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well LT, This was a one design class, and while I do know they made changes during the production run, some things should have been relatively constant. The boom set up may not have been covered in the one design specifications. My boat is 433 built in 1985. I guess you need to find someone with another 1980 model boat to discuss this with.
To try and answer some of your questions. My boat does use one of the aft end boom sheaves for the reef line. The other I've never used. The PO had run the outhaul down the mast and back to a block and tackle on the cabin top. I found this arrangement too cumbersome even though it allowed for a greater mechanical advantage than the in-boom system. I think he sailed more in higher winds and needed to crank the outhaul really hard on. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that one of those outlets on the side of the boom could have been used for pulling the clew of the main down in a reef, but my boat was never set up for that best I can tell.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433
Go to Top of Page

SailTowery
1st Mate

Members Avatar

64 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2020 :  13:02:09  Show Profile  Visit SailTowery's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LT, that's an interesting set up. My boom is rigged like the drawings from Catalina. I only use one reef so I have an extra sheave because of that. They were the white plastic ones. I replaced with the black ones from Catalina direct. The reef line runs inside the boom. My outhaul sheave aft fell part a few years ago and that was also replaced with a new black plastic one from Catalina direct.

Ben
Little Wing
Hull #422
https://www.facebook.com/capri25littlewing/
Go to Top of Page

LT_Smash
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Canada
15 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2020 :  14:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Ben and Joe.

My boom extrusion is the same as the architectural diagrams but the castings at either end are different.

The diagrams show the aft end as having 3 sheaves, I only have two and they are in front of each other rather than beside.

When I get a decent setup figured out I will post pics in case someone else has the same castings as me.

Edited by - LT_Smash on 03/20/2020 14:49:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page