Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Lifelines
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roamer
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/19/2021 :  13:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 1984 Cat 25 with original vinyl covered lifelines. I have read that vinyl covering is considered undesirable because the vinyl can hide deterioration of the wire and fittings. I found that I can cut off the vinyl without scoring the wire underneath. If the wire and fittings show no rust, are the lifelines safe to continue to use?

fadeaway: 1984 TR/FK Trad

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2021 :  15:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think if the wire, and swaging to fittings show no visible sign of rust/corrosion then the lifelines should be ok. The real issue is a careful inspection including the fittings, which is often the weak link. If you are sailing on salt water I would be surprised if there is no visible rust/corrosion. If you are sailing in fresh water it is possible and you may be lucky!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2021 :  15:40:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Move around every boat as if it doesn't have lifelines. Grip a grabrail or a shroud, and rely on that rather than a lifeline. Wear a harness and tether in rough conditions. I only fell overboard once, about 45 years ago, and reached for the lifeline and missed. Thinking before you move and making sure you have a good grip and solid footing is far more useful than lifelines. Many boats I've sailed didn't have lifelines. I'm not suggesting that you not maintain your existing lifelines, but you'll be much safer if you rely on good practices rather than lifelines.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2021 :  16:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, I agree wholeheartedly that lifelines should not be your sole safety item, and good handholds and a harness are your best safety, but a solid lifeline is “one more chance” of protection as you’re going over. It’s also much closer to the deck, so if you can stop yourself there instead of at the end of a tether, there’s a lot less of a wrenching force and less possible resulting injury.
It’s never fun falling overboard but you must always consider the real possibility and be sure you’ve got a plan.
I’m among those who’ve gone over (at the dock thankfully), and I’m pretty sure I’m not alone in that.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page