Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Surprises
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

glivs
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/27/2021 :  05:51:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a recent thread on the surprise of discovering loose fasteners but I couldn't locate it so I've created a follow on thread.

I have far less experience than many of you and so every interaction with my boat is a learning experience....part of the joy of sailing.

Recent surprises:
  • Every spring I check the rudder gudgeon fasteners from inside the quarter berth but this past year I just happened to grab the hose from the bilge pump where it attaches to the through hull and it nearly came off in my hand....what an easy way to sink a boat. Another item now added to my spring check list.
  • I've discovered my share of minor leaks over the years but to my shock I discovered about 4" of water in the bilge this past weekend. After checking what I considered the most obvious potential sources I eventually discovered that the double hose clamps on a drain to the water tank had worked loose. I always check the clamps on the pressure pump but rarely these. Still learning.
  • Mid-last week we had a front roll through with strong winds and rain over two full days. The following pic shows the impact. The pennant is 5/8" (required by mooring field if two lines are not used). I've read that rubber snubbers harden over time due to UV. This one was about 5 yrs old. Winds during the front were measured by my mooring neighbor at 27 kt...substantial but not crazy. I don't know if the failure came over time or in a single gust.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page