Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Caulking around deadlight?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LuckyDuck
1st Mate

Member Avatar

40 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/21/2021 :  08:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a tiny bit of moisture inside the foredeck deadlight and want to recaulk the edges. Any recommendation? I know it’s best to avoid silicone. It appears solidly attached, and I don’t think I need to fully rip it out and re-bed but just run a small bead along the edges. Thanks!

“Lucky Duck” - ‘87 C25 Trad. SR/WK #5588
Whiskeytown Lake, CA

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2021 :  10:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Life seal is the go to for bedding plastics to fiberglass and is what I used when I replaced my dead light. Without knowing what sealant was used on your boat I can't recommend a product because they might not be compatible. Slapping one type of sealant on top of another that might or might not be compatible with each other could make things worse.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2021 :  17:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last year I used some exterior acrylic caulk from my house renovation project to seal the gaps in my portlights. It worked pretty well for a season - kept the rain out. It’s not permanent but it’s inexpensive and didn’t harm anything. I did it again this year and so far, so good.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

LuckyDuck
1st Mate

Members Avatar

40 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2021 :  17:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Life seal is the go to for bedding plastics to fiberglass and is what I used when I replaced my dead light. Without knowing what sealant was used on your boat I can't recommend a product because they might not be compatible. Slapping one type of sealant on top of another that might or might not be compatible with each other could make things worse.

Thanks! I’m leaning toward LifeSeal based on what I’m hearing.

Whiskeytown Lake, CA
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2021 :  05:48:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just went through this project and looked at West marine and home Depot. Found a DAP sealant that was designed for exterior, harsh environments at Home Depot that worked great. As my gaskets were black, I went with that color. This wildest likely be an ongoing maintenance issue however, maybe not annually but every couple of years.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2021 :  12:21:03  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any caulking material applied externally will eventually degrade in UV exposure. LifeSeal is supposed to be pretty good, but you can't expect it to be permanent. When it's completely covered under a UV-blocking surface, like under the flanges of a piece of deck hardware, it can last a long time (slight degradation occurs at the edge exposed to the environment, but it progresses inward very slowly). But as a bead applied to the outer edge of a joint it has no protection from UV exposure, so it will break down and eventually have to be replaced. The only real issue is how long it'll last (and up there at Whiskeytown you might only get a few years, Lucky, if you're still watching this thread).

A more important issue is adhesion between the caulking material and the substrate. Both surfaces have to be seriously clean, and they should be free of soft oxidized gelcoat or any protective waxes. The surfaces on both sides of the joint should be scrubbed with a solvent (taking care to remove it from the joint line, so it doesn't attack the existing sealant or interfere with the new caulk), and a light sanding would be helpful, too. This is pretty anal-compulsive, I know, but a little extra time spent now could add years of enjoyment of the results.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

LuckyDuck
1st Mate

Members Avatar

40 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2021 :  14:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lee Panza

Any caulking material applied externally will eventually degrade in UV exposure. LifeSeal is supposed to be pretty good, but you can't expect it to be permanent. When it's completely covered under a UV-blocking surface, like under the flanges of a piece of deck hardware, it can last a long time (slight degradation occurs at the edge exposed to the environment, but it progresses inward very slowly). But as a bead applied to the outer edge of a joint it has no protection from UV exposure, so it will break down and eventually have to be replaced. The only real issue is how long it'll last (and up there at Whiskeytown you might only get a few years, Lucky, if you're still watching this thread).

A more important issue is adhesion between the caulking material and the substrate. Both surfaces have to be seriously clean, and they should be free of soft oxidized gelcoat or any protective waxes. The surfaces on both sides of the joint should be scrubbed with a solvent (taking care to remove it from the joint line, so it doesn't attack the existing sealant or interfere with the new caulk), and a light sanding would be helpful, too. This is pretty anal-compulsive, I know, but a little extra time spent now could add years of enjoyment of the results.

Excellent points — thanks! You are right about the UV impact, especially with our blistering summers. I did everything you mentioned — scraped and cleaned with cleaner and solvent. And a very light, fine grit sanding before recaulking. I pulled the bottom lens off in the V berth and am working on cleaning that surface the same way. I think I’ll leave it off through a few rains, or maybe for good, to check for any leaks.

Thanks, all, for the advice.

Whiskeytown Lake, CA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page