Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mooring Singlehanded
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mulvaneym7
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/24/2021 :  09:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there- Any tips to attach to a mooring ball if sailing by myself or with the kids? The mooring field has gotten tighter (more boats in it now including several right around me and so it's a little more challenging. In the past, I just basically went super slow and tried to get it to a near stop with the front of the boat over the mooring buoy and then ran up to the bow and grabbed the line. I've been trying to do it more now grabbing from the cockpit and then walking it up but I worry I'm going to swing into one of the other boats. Thanks for any help in advance.

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2021 :  09:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like you're on the right track.

Position your boat hook where you'll need it (in the cockpit or on the bow) and have it extended, so that it's ready for you to use immediately. You might consider attaching a loop of line or perhaps a loop of stiff, plastic covered cable to the top of the mooring ball, so you can grab it with the boat hook.

Also, avoid running on a boat, for any reason. The goal should be to figure out how to dock or pick up a mooring, or do anything singlehanded without running. One way you can avoid running is to do things slowly. If you dock slowly, you'll have more time to walk from the cockpit to the bow, and, if the boat bumps anything, it won't bump it hard.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2021 :  14:55:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a video. Looks like he is going too fast, but he is driving through a big mooring field. note, he doesn't run!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_B2SO4Af-o

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2021 :  15:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s been awhile since I’ve used a mooring on a regular basis but I used to worry about walking forward, then back, especially when I had the bimini up. It impeded me getting in and out of the cockpit from the gunwales.

So I rigged a 30 ft dockline through the bow cleat leading back to the cockpit. The line had a bowline tied in the bitter end that I’d secure in the cockpit and tie a figure eight knot on the other end of the line.

I’d motor up to the mooring ball until it was alongside the cockpit, then I’d use the boat pole to grab the pennant. I’d tie it to the bowline end of the dockline, then I’d pull the dockline through until it was up by the bow cleat.

I’d secure the dockline to a cockpit cleat and the boat would be tied to the mooring. Later on,I’d go forward and double tie t the mooring line once all the excitement died down. My exit was to reverse the process, then finally untie the dockline from the cockpit.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2021 :  03:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A minor variation to Bruce’s suggestion (Voyager) I use in windy conditions is to secure a line from bow to stern outside the rail. Pull up so you can reach the mooring mast from the cockpit, attach the mooring pennant to the above line with a large carabiner, and either let the wind push you back or back down gently with your motor so the carabiner slides forward. You can then secure your mooring lines properly without further worry about nearby boats.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2021 :  15:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been on a mooring for decades -- this boat and prior sail boats. When I had a 20 ft. day sailor I could sit in the cockpit, grab the pendent and walk to the bow to secure. Not so with the C25. Typically power in put in neutral and set bow to the windward side of the mooring then walk quickly to grab and secure. Sometimes I cant and so need to back off and come around a second time. Obviously with second person it is much easier, but as I sail often solo have found that practice and not being embarrassed by the second (or third+) attempt. Sailing off the mooring is easy. My son, who is much younger and flexible, has sailed to the mooring -- no engine -- many times. Ode to the young!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2021 :  07:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Gerry's version and figured I'd do something like that if I had to singlehand to/from a mooring. The real test is what will work in windier and choppier conditions when timing and tension are more critical... Letting the line slide forward seemed best--especially with a double-loop bridle on the mooring line, so the other loop can be easily dropped on a cleat before the first loop is disconnected from the carabiner. Of course, if you don't get the boat moving back and the mooring line sliding forward fairly quickly, you could end up with the bow swinging around--then I guess you you just unhook and start over.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

mulvaneym7
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2021 :  07:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. These are great! Very helpful
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page