Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 3 Tropical Storms — and it’s only still August!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/17/2021 :  21:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So it’s mid August and we’re up to Hurricane “G”. Definitely a lot to go — the season is only just getting started and ramping up.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 08/17/2021 21:19:16

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2021 :  16:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops, I misspoke, now we’re onto Henri, H.
Fred just dumped about 5” of rain on CT and MA, and earlier this week spawned tornadoes in GA, SC, NC and VA.
Grace blew through Cancun last night tossing cars and boats like toys around the streets of Cozumel, and now she’s headed towards the Mexican mainland as a Cat 1.
But the storm that I originally spotted on my Windy App, TS8 aka Henri, was supposed to circle Bermuda, then head out harmlessly away into the North Atlantic. The National Hurricane Center’s current spaghetti model for Henri tracks it just 48 hours away from a Category 1 landfall on Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and Cape Cod. I’d prefer that it veer farther east and hope it doesn’t come any further west!
I’ll keep my eyes peeled on Windy for the next one.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2021 :  20:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm currently in the NHC's cone for Henri... Watching! From early on, this one was a wanderer, making forecasting very problematic. Will a front push it out? Will the upper sheer weaken it? Apparently neither. Most likely landfall is now centered in Rhode Island (very close), and forecasts have been shifting toward me.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2021 :  06:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well a day later and it is aiming farther west. Not good. Some models have it parking itself and meandering around in our area.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2021 :  05:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our Marina sent out the first weather warning on Thursday evening encouraging all boaters to double up our lines and fenders. Yesterday they sent a follow-up telling us that with possible 70-80 mph winds, this is no joke. Secure all lines, take down all canvas (sail and power alike) and double and triple check your boats for anything that could fly in the winds.
I went down again last night and noticed that about 1/2 the boats were made secure - the other half, not so much.
I expect they’ll send out individual emails and phone calls to boaters who’ve not secured their boats today.

The marina sees it a little differently than the individual boaters — they have to worry about the total wind force applied by ALL boats against their pilings. Individual loose boats crashing into others are insurance risks for the boaters. Fuel spills due to capsized dinghies or runabouts are the responsibility of the owners. They’re worried about the whole dock and all it’s fingers breaking free and landing in the parking lot.

Let’s hope more boaters heed the call today before it’s too late.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2021 :  05:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Henri looks to possibly be the first hurricane to hit New England in 30 years (why they don't count Sandy I can't figure out). Trajectory currently has it set to hit central Long Island then across the Sound to central Connecticut. The storm surge (3-5 ft) and rain 3+ inches) appear to be potentially more damaging then the wind as it would be a category 1 hurricane -- and hopefully only a tropical storm. Storm surge will put strain on moorings and finger docks. Our club is having a work party day to move furniture and secure dingy and kayaks, etc. Sunday should be interesting!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

Edited by - bigelowp on 08/21/2021 11:00:30
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2021 :  06:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're able to go to your marina during a hurricane and tend to your lines, and those of other boaters, you'll not only do a service to yourself and other boaters, but you'll also learn a lot. It's an eye-opening experience to be on the docks and feel the wind and spray and to see the rising storm surge. Seeing it happen is more impactful than reading about it. You obviously shouldn't go out onto an unsheltered, low lying outer island, but it might be safe to go to marinas that are in a bay or up a river. Whether it's too dangerous has to do with the time, place and circumstances, but if it's safe, it's a worthwhile experience.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2021 :  12:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My marina is in Clear Lake, TX which is a relatively small saltwater/brackish lake just off Galveston Bay. It's reached by coming thru a channel from Galveston Bay into the lake.

During Ike the storm surge was approx. 12' in the lake. The fixed docks in the area my boat was normally slipped were destroyed. Boats were sunk everywhere in the marina and more than a dozen were scattered throughout the marina grounds. Many boats still had the pilings attached to the dock lines. The boats pulled the pilings completely out of the bottom of the lake in one piece as the surge came up.

One gentleman that lived aboard his boat was trying to ride the storm out on his boat in the marina. His boat started sinking and when the eye moved over the lake he had to swim about 200 yards to the nearest building in the marina. The water was so high he ended up getting to the building on the 2nd floor stair landing. He rode out the other half of the storm on that landing unable to get into the building.

Luckily I had moved my boat way up the lake to another marina that is completely surrounded by high banks on all four sides. The only way in is a small channel. It's THE hurricane hole in the area. Of the 300+ boats in the marina the only one that was damaged was a cruiser that hadn't been maintained for years. One of the exhaust hoses broke and the boat sank.

Bottom line, trying to ride out that storm in our marina would have resulted in the car being destroyed and me possibly drowning as the whole area around the marina was also flooded with neck deep water. Every area is different so your situation will most likely be different than mine. Just think twice about trying to ride out any storms unless you are really familiar with your marina and the surroundings near it.

About the only good thing that came from Ike was the area where I normally kept my boat was completely rebuilt with new pilings and floating docks. They also raised the breakwater. I love the floating docks. Adjust your lines for proper length and you never have to worry about tide levels again.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2021 :  13:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

One gentleman that lived aboard his boat was trying to ride the storm out on his boat in the marina. His boat started sinking and when the eye moved over the lake he had to swim about 200 yards to the nearest building in the marina. The water was so high he ended up getting to the building on the 2nd floor stair landing. He rode out the other half of the storm on that landing unable to get into the building.

I suppose it's possible he thought he had to stay because he had nowhere else to go. In retrospect, I could have stayed on my boat through all the hurricanes, because it was never damaged, but I always checked into a motel for the night. Nevertheless, hurricanes don't strike unexpectedly. They build gradually over the better part of a day. You'll know when you have done all you can to protect your boat, and when it's time to go to your motel.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

C25BC
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
200 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2021 :  09:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And on the southwest coast of Canada we’re on Fire. Visibility and air quality was terrible, record temperatures . A small town north of us reached a record 49.9 deg C ( 121 deg F) then burned to the ground. Made for interesting sailing conditions on our inland lake.

Angus
S.V.Tempus
1984 Catalina 25 SK/SR/Trad.
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2021 :  09:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Truly wish we could ship the significant rain we in the Northeast have had in July/August out west to all those who desperately need it! NY City area got 6 inches yesterday and more today.

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2021 :  17:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Occasionally this season we got a plume of smoke from Canadian wildfires that rode in on the Jet Stream. It smelled bad and blocked out the sun for about 2 days each time that it happened. I can’t imagine the dread and terror of not knowing whether your neighborhood or your street will or won’t be the next one to go up in flames. Hurricanes still feel like they arise from natural processes, whereas fire season seems somehow to be a result of human activity. I send well-wishes to all our friends to support your efforts, I wish I could send you-all all the extra rain that we don’t need

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

C25BC
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
200 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2021 :  18:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s been quite a summer on both coasts, globally, as well I guess . I can only imagine the stress of getting hammered by wind and rain repeatedly.

Angus
S.V.Tempus
Go to Top of Page

C25BC
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
200 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2021 :  06:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s been quite a summer on both coasts, globally, as well I guess . I can only imagine the stress of getting hammered by wind and rain repeatedly.

Angus
S.V.Tempus
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2021 :  15:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking to the coming week, there are three areas of investigation (aka Invests) that the National Hurricane Center has indicated on the map of the tropical Atlantic.
In the west, a tropical wave is in the southern Caribbean with a 40-60% chance of tropical development which may move over the Yucatán towards the Texas coast late in the period and eventually bring flooding rains into OK, CO, NB and KS.
In the mid-Atlantic, not far from the origin of Henri, a potential Category 1 or 2 storm looks to have very good chances of terrorizing the North Atlantic shipping lanes or possibly Greenland.
Third, in the Eastern Atlantic, not far from the Cape Verde islands off W Africa an area of T’storms has 20-30% odds of development.
At about 20 days away from the peak of hurricane season, the tropics are quite literally heating up.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2021 :  05:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update on western Caribbean storm, Invest 99 (Ida or Julian) seems a certainty to hit the US, maybe TX or LA coast. It’s sitting right off Venezuela and Panama now (unusual location for an Atlantic area storm) and is moving quickly Northwestward. Possible landfall on Sunday night or Monday morning.
Looks to be a larger sized storm especially by the time it makes landfall so it’s likely to affect a large area. Keep eyes on this one.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 08/25/2021 06:00:25
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2021 :  08:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A tropical storm right now, Ida is trending a little bit further east than expected and intensifying. Expected to land somewhere between the Mississippi River delta in LA and the Mississippi state coastline.
As Jim Cantore of the Weather Channel tweeted, this area needs a potential category 3 hurricane like it needs a hole in the head! In 2020 the area was hit by 4 storms, one was a category 4.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 08/27/2021 08:04:07
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2021 :  08:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And then there’s Nora barreling up the Baja California as a category 1. Remnants look to be heading into Arizona. Could bring some rain to the US Southwest

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2021 :  20:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were sweating Ida for a day or so when the models were showing it coming in around the mid-Texas coast as a 140 mph Cat 4. We are relieved it's not coming here. After Ike and Harvey we don't want anything to do with hurricanes.

Praying for the folks in Louisiana. They've gotten more than their fair share of hurricanes the past few years. Ironic it's the 16th anniversary of Katrina in a day or two.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 08/27/2021 20:55:43
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2021 :  11:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ida continues to take her toll, LA, MS, TN. Next twisters in GA and SC. Rain coming up the line towards the NE. The storm is still connected to feeders from the Gulf of Mexico and the Gulf Stream in the Atlantic. Plenty of steam left.

But then there’s L90 invest TD12 which will become TS Larry, looking like it will potentially swing across the Atlantic towards the Chesapeake Bay guided by a retrograde Bermuda High late next week. Probably a major.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 08/31/2021 16:24:12
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2021 :  14:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ida left over 8 inches of rain in her path for us in southwestern CT -- more in NYC and N-NJ. Terrible flooding resulted -- and we got just the "tropical depression" aftermath! This should prove to be quite the season and even if not a direct hit, the collateral damage will be considerable!

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2021 :  18:06:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don’t forget about the major tornadoes in DE, PA and NJ! Very common for a strong TS to spawn small, short lived EF1 whirlwinds, but because there was a stalled weather front hanging along Ida’s path, the tornadoes were much more potent. Several homes and businesses were destroyed.

Now we turn our eyes toward major hurricane Larry. It’s expected to pass to just to the east of Bermuda, but it’ll probably cause tropical storm conditions there on Wednesday or Thursday.

A friend was planning a cruise from Mystic, CT up to the Narragansett Bay then onto Buzzards Bay and Cape Cod this week, but had to make other plans due to Larry’s 5-6ft waves on Thursday and Friday. Instead, he’ll be going to a few spots in LI Sound and Gardiners Bay out between the Twin Forks of Long Island.

There’s always next year!

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 09/04/2021 18:08:23
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2021 :  08:50:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He just needs to be careful not to enter Plum Gut with Larry's seas opposing an ebb current--it's a washing machine!

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/05/2021 08:51:05
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2021 :  17:02:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somebody ought to erect a webcam nearby, the footage would be priceless!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2021 :  14:46:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that it’s September looks like we have to retire this thread. While it’s currently the peak of Tropical storm season, aside from Larry and some static around Florida, there are no additional storms predicted for the next seven days.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/10/2021 :  14:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce... Keep reminding us there's no "excitement" around,,, That always keeps things safe!

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page