Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Catalina 25 stepping mast
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johete
Deckhand

Member Avatar

6 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/12/2021 :  00:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have dimensions of A frame, length, size, drawings
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2021 :  18:51:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I built mine using the drawings I found in the Technical Tips section on the right side of this page. Click on Catalina 25, select all tips. 3rd post from the top.

Here's the link: http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/tech/tech25/bearsad1.asp

It works well on my '89. Be sure to use electrical EMT pipe, not plain aluminum tubing

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 08/12/2021 18:53:53
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2021 :  06:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I remember correctly, I bought 2 pieces of electrical conduit 10 ft long. Pipe diameter needs to be large enough to fit over the deck fitting for the shrouds, probably 1". Measure from the bow to the base of the forward lower shrouds for your length. I think it will be 9 or 9.5 ft. Make 2 pieces 3" long out of one of the cut off scrap pieces. You will drill 2 holes all the way through these pieces. The first holes will be close enough to the end to fit the pieces over the forward lower deck fittings and secure them with a long clevis pin. The second holes will be about 1" from the other end of the short pieces. These will be your pivot points for the a-frame bars so drill those holes accordingly. (look for the you tube videos by DavyJ, very instructive). to make the a-frame, I hammered the ends of the poles flat, about 4-6 inches each end, then put them in the car's hitch receiver to bend them to the proper angles. Then drill holes in the flat parts for a bolt at the top, maybe 2" from the end and 1" at the bottoms. The holes at the bottom need to be close enough that the poles can rotate vertical and not scrape the deck.
hope this helps.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 08/13/2021 06:16:14
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2021 :  07:45:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adding to the discussion, I’ve used an A-frame each time I’ve raised or lowered my mast. The advantage over a single gin-pole method is stability of the mast as you raise and lower it - the mast tends to stay aligned with the centerline of the boat. You can easily manage it with one other person. Not only is the other person handy to guide the mast at various points, but also to watch for fouled shrouds, halyards and lines. It’s very easy to kink a shroud or stay when you’re raising the mast.
As with most things like this, it’s all in the prep work.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2021 :  22:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, I've used the A-frame to lower and raise mine twice. Both times I raised and lowered the mast by myself in the water. Both times I had a crosswind.

One thing to keep in mind, as the mast gets closer to horizontal the mast will want to drop faster so be ready to tighten up your grip on the rope. I loop my line around the starboard winch a couple of turns so I can control the speed the mast drops and I stand on the cockpit seats so I can grab and control the mast and get it in the mast crutch at the stern. Once you get the mast started down let it come down relatively quickly but under control. The less time it's in transit the less time the wind and the boat rocking will have to move the mast out of control.

Take your time setting things up. Double and triple check everything. Once I was ready it took no more than 30 - 45 seconds (if that long) to get the mast down and in the mast crutch at the back of the boat.

Also, when you pull the bolt at the bottom of the mast and get ready to slide the mast forward, be sure you're sitting on the mast as it's going to want to flip up once the bolt is out.

As Bruce said, prep is the key and if you can get at least one person to help it's a lot safer and much easier.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 08/14/2021 22:50:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page