Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Wind Instrument Install
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

delling3
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/09/2021 :  11:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posted on FB site too, but I am looking for some ideas. I am about to install a new instrument package on my C-25. Raymarine I50/I60 Sail Pack. The mast head transducer cable needs to transition from above to below deck. Trying to figure out the best solution. Inline cable connector/receptcle above deck, or thru-deck compression fitting with a junction box below deck? Do you have wind instruments on you boat, and if yes, how do you handle the cable? And, yes I know there are wireless options now, but not in my budget.

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2021 :  17:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the cable a Raymarine SeaTalk NG Spur Cable or can you use something more like Cat5e or Cat6 cable? The seaTalk cable looks to have a six-pin interface. Can you remove and replace the terminal plugs easily, or are they molded onto the cables?
If you can solder on a receptacle/plug, then you could run the wire through a deck-mounted compression fitting. If not, then you’d have to purchase a mating plug to wire through the cabintop. You could also cut the wire, fit it through a compression fitting then splice it back together using solder and shrink-wrap. The latter option is kludgey however…

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2021 :  17:38:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Raymarine I40 and wiring is in mast with electrical, through waterproof deck connector, then through headliner to instrument and fuse panel. Much effort but works fine.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page