Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 DIY Companionway Crib Boards
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dmichael
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/11/2021 :  13:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
My 1979 Cat25 did not come with OEM crib boards. I believe it was purchased by the previous owner from a marina lien sale, and apparently the crib boards were in too rough of shape to salvage. All I have are a couple warped 3/8" plywood boards that more or less do the job, but let water in during the rain and don't look as good as I'd like.

Has anyone built their own crib boards from scratch? Any tips, lumber recommendations, etc?
Thanks!
Mike

Serenity - San Diego, CA - 1979 C25 - SR/FK

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/11/2021 :  20:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Mike, Welcome!
I have not rebuilt my crib boards, but I did replace my “eyebrows”, aka the boards located at the tops of the cockpit bulkheads.

I did not have any teak boards, but I did have a 1”x 6” mahogany board.
I traced the old eyebrow profile out on the board and made a series of rough cuts with my table saw.
Afterwards, I used my handheld sabersaw to make the curved cuts.
Then I set up my table saw to cut the eyebrow through longwise to create two matching eyebrows.
The mahogany matched well enough after I treated it with Sikkens Cetol.

You can create your own crib boards using 1-by teak or mahogany.

The construction of each of the three crib boards is as follows:
Two boards go horizontal with angled edges. They fit into two edge boards that lay in the angled slots in the companionway. There’s a rabbeted edge between the horizontals and verticals. You can cut that with a table saw or a router.

Here’s a (huge) picture of my crib boards:

I’m guessing that the horizontal boards are about 4-5” tall and the edge boards are about 2.5” tall.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 02/11/2021 20:16:13
Go to Top of Page

dmichael
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2021 :  12:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce, much appreciated!

Serenity - San Diego, CA - 1979 C25 - SR/FK
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2021 :  15:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I commend making your own, and, they may actually be better, you may look into parted out boats for a source. I have a second set from someone who parted out his C-25 and have seen similar dimensioned hatch boards advertised at sites that remove derelicts and part them out. If you are comfortable making your own, go for it! Just offering a possible option.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2021 :  08:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter, reusing perfectly fine crib boards is actually a better approach. Teak lasts for a long time and can easily be refinished. As I recall from forum discussions and the CD website, the C25 crib boards varied in size somewhat over the years. If you can find a parted out replacement, make sure to measure your companionway meticulously. The overall height, taking into account the 60°-ish angle of the bridge saddle board and the top sliding hatch. Also measure the width of the bottom at the bridge saddle and at the top just under the sliding hatch. If you plan to buy some original crib boards, ask the seller to photograph each board separately so you can see the top and bottom interlocking edges and also ask for an angled view to determine whether they are warped.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2021 :  08:14:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you plan to make your own crib boards, what’s not visible in my photo are the interlocking top and bottom edges of the boards. Each board overlaps the other by about 3/4” of an inch with the inside overlap going up to prevent rainwater intrusion. Each board has a half-lap rabbeted edge. Again, the bottom of the bottom crib board and the top of the top crib board are cut on an angle to rest flat on the bridge and fit under the sliding hatch cover board. I’d guess that it’s about a 60° angle, but you should measure the exact dimensions. Might be good to create a corrugated cardboard template to make sure you get all the dimensions and the angles from your boat. YMMV. Good luck and keep us posted.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page