Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Anchor locker and the bilge
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stang9150
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/28/2018 :  16:01:32  Show Profile
So I noticed after hosing off my ground tackle today, that I got some muddy water in the bilge. Is there suppose to be a connection from the anchor locker to the bilge? I always thought you just had the bow drain hole for the locker and that was it. I did notice some muddy water under the v berth also.

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2018 :  17:03:11  Show Profile
You have a leak, start checking by laying in v-berth peak while someone hoses down the locker and forward deck. If there was muddy water on the deck at any time it could be coming in from deck screws or bolts, other than anchor locker. Also check the overfill hose from anchor locker to outside

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2018 :  18:58:45  Show Profile
I should clarify that my boat is a 1978, I don't have the overfill hoses. The mud was all over the bow and in the locker. I was hosing it all out after being at anchor today. V berth is dry as far as inside the cushions and what not.
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2018 :  20:00:53  Show Profile
The opening in the forward end of my anchor locker that connects to the bow drain is pretty small, seems to be a function of how the material was originally laid up there. It doesn't take much dirt or gravel to plug it up and then my "overflow" becomes the gaps in the top aft corners of the locker where the wiring loom passes through.

This once caused a muddy waterfall that ended up in the bilge. Of course it passed through the v berth cushions and you say yours are dry.

Check for holes where the wiring passes through.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2018 :  23:04:56  Show Profile
The drain is clear as it was draining off as I was hosing off the anchor. I will have to look around and see where it is coming from. The v berth is dry. I wonder if it is the navigation light cut outs. I will look tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2018 :  05:11:23  Show Profile
Remove the hatch boards that are under the v berth cushions and look for water draining down along the hull from the locker to the thru hull valve area. Water will usually pool just aft of the thru hull and before the bulkhead. Another thought is that this happened because of the pressure from a hose forcing the water in places that normal rain wouldn't enter. Do you normally get water in that area or was it only this time because you used a hose.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 11/29/2018 07:06:05
Go to Top of Page

Kim Luckner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2018 :  08:36:10  Show Profile
When my anchor locker drain was plugged rain water accumulated in the locker then made it's way through the nav light cut-out/covers on the interior and into the aft area of the vee berth where my depth transducer is located. I think there is a opening(s) that would then drain into the bilge area. I know I was surprised when I had about 1/2 gallon of water in the vee berth area. Found the plugged drain in the anchor locker and solved the problem.

Seeadler
'79 C25 SR/FK #1432
Mentor Lagoons
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2018 :  15:38:48  Show Profile
Well issued solved . There was a hole in the bottom of the anchor locker Floor. It was in a position where rain would not really effect it. I removed the v berth covers and opened the anchor locker and saw daylight. It is fixed now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page