Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Trailer value and sale
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Albanker
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/26/2018 :  10:54:53  Show Profile
I am in Punta Gorda Florida with my WK250 2002— have a trailer that I am thinking os selling—-the trail rite brand from Catalina with the mast raising system . It has the tall keel guides.. Just curious of any idea of value or if it would significantly hurt the value of my boat if I ever would sell it. ( not anticipated). Appreciate any guidance

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2018 :  12:20:35  Show Profile
In my opinion, on the west coast of Florida, a trailer will add value to a buyer, if they need it. It will add expense to a buyer who does not need it.

When I sold my C25, I had a trailer. The buyer of the boat didn't want it. I sold the trailer to someone else.

I would say, if you don't plan to ever trailer the boat, then sell it.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2018 :  14:38:08  Show Profile
You can't say that you will never sell the boat. Things happen and needs change. I would say that if keeping the trailer isn't costing you anything then I would keep it. The next buyer might be looking for a boat with a trailer so why knock yourself out of those buyer's. You can then list the boat with two prices. One with the trailer, one without and at that point you could always sell the trailer if the buyer doesn't need it.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

HappyNow
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
99 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2018 :  20:43:16  Show Profile
If you keep it, which I would also recommend, make sure you maintain it. When I bought my boat three years ago, I never thought to inspect the trailer. Turns out when I did look at it about a year later, it needed significant repairs. Previous owner who was an aircraft mechanic hadn't ever put in brake fluid, so I had to have the coupler, brake lines, brakes all replaced at a cost of $800 due to rust in the entire system. Ouch.
When you eventually sell the boat, if you don't have a trailer you might be limited to selling it locally, whereas with a trailer that opens it up to half the country. In another six or eight years, the trailer will be worth as much as the boat. The boat will continue to depreciate, but the trailer will hold its value or may even appreciate since new trailer prices will continue to go up.

Michael Levin
Sailin' on Sunshine
C250 #402 WK
Lake Tahoe
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2018 :  11:46:46  Show Profile
quote:
make sure you maintain it. When I bought my boat three years ago, I never thought to inspect the trailer. Turns out when I did look at it about a year later, it needed significant repairs.

This is why I recommended selling it. If you are not going to use the trailer, having it sit in the Florida sun for any length of time will result in cracked tires, rusty discs and calipers, deteriorating brakes lines and dry-rotted bunks or rollers.

Similar to my C25, I had a 27' power boat. I had an aluminum trailer rated at 10,000 lbs, which I used for a couple of years. Then I purchased a waterfront house with a boat lift.

The trailer sat for thirteen years not used. When I went to sell that boat, I thought I would repair the trailer to help the sale. Put over three thousand dollars into the trailer. Guess what....... buyer didn't need or want the trailer. He took it as part of the deal anyway. Mostly because, at that point, it was basically a brand new trailer. However, I think he would have paid close to same price for just the boat, of course that boat was worth about five times the going rate for a well found C25, however I think I could have saved the three grand......

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Albanker
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2018 :  19:44:29  Show Profile
Ok I think I am going to sell it . I want to set a price reasonable for all. Any thoughts!
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2018 :  10:55:57  Show Profile

Suggest to think again...

A double axle galvanized boat trailer hardly deteriorates. Purchase, at a welding shop, a spray can or two of cold galvanizing which is 93% self sacrificing zinc to touch up bolts, nuts, clamps, scratches, etc. It will keep the trailer in "as new", condition.

Wood bunks covered with fabric are easily and inexpensively replaced or recovered with little cost.

Tires, wheels and break systems can be weather protected with a tarp and some bungees at no great cost. The hitch and electrical or surge arrangements can be covered by using a 5 gallon pail secured by a couple of bungees

Having a boat trailer available, either for sale with or without the boat greatly increases the marketability and your range.

A quality and well maintained trailer will keep its value in today's market

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2018 :  15:14:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Albanker

Ok I think I am going to sell it . I want to set a price reasonable for all. Any thoughts!
First, find out a price on a similar new trailer. Then, honestly considering the condition of yours, put yourself in a buyer's shoes: How much less than the new price would attract you to this used trailer? Then check Craigs List for your competition. (Conclusion: $3250. )

BTW, by "tall keel guides" do you mean it's set up for a C-250 wing? If so, I suspect the market might be a little thin unless it can be easily altered for a centerboard sailboat or a powerboat.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Ronvanb
Deckhand

Members Avatar

2 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2018 :  17:05:38  Show Profile
quote:

I might be interested in your trailer. I am looking at a few 250’s, none which have a trailer. Is your trailer for the wing keel version?

Thanks,
Ron
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2018 :  18:51:21  Show Profile
My wing keel was purchased without a trailer. It was purchased in Riverside, NJ, about 20 miles upriver from where I planned to keep her (Essington, PA), so I did not need a trailer to take possession.

After owning it I talked to the factory about the boat's history, and learned that it was originally delivered with a trailer. The boat had been purchased new in Riverside, NJ. It was taken up to Massachusetts and Rhode Island (presumably on the trailer). Somewhere up there the trailer was sold. The boat was bought by someone who, coincidentally, had it professionally trucked back to Riverside, NJ, at the exact same marina where it had originally been purchased.

I always worried that the lack of a trailer would make the boat difficult to sell. I advertised it 2.5 years ago on Craigslist in Annapolis, a 2-day trip by water. I had great response, with everyone willing to move it to the Chesapeake by water. None of the people who inquired wanted a trailer. The guy who bought it from me (and moved it by water) sold it a year later to someone else in Baltimore, and I haven't heard from that owner, who may have sold it again by now.

My main point is that this boat has sold quickly on at least 4 occasions with no trailer.

A large trailer can be expensive to store unless you have plenty of space for it. Whether you keep the trailer should depend in large part on whether your home waters are connected to a lot of potential buyers. If you're located in a landlocked place, you may need the trailer to make it available to potential purchasers. If you're connected to a lot of waterways, you may not need the trailer to make the sale.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

Ronvanb
Deckhand

Members Avatar

2 Posts

Response Posted - 10/30/2018 :  05:45:42  Show Profile
We live in Kentucky. We are close to the Ohio River, but I want to sail on some local lakes that are landlocked. I am looking at Catalina’s 22, 25, and 250. I’m not sure yet which is best for us, but I don’t want a swing keel.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/30/2018 :  06:51:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ronvanb

...but I don’t want a swing keel.
Ronvanb, just an observation: If you want a 25' cruiser you can move around by trailer, the C-250 Water Ballast is a great choice. We discuss issues here about the C-25 Swing Keel, but the C-250 WB has a centerboard--not a "swing keel". The difference is the centerboard is not the ballast for the boat--I believe it is about 200 lbs. on the C-250 versus 1,500 on the C-25. For trailering, you leave the "ballast" in the lake, so the boat is lighter and lower on the trailer. The ballast tank raises the cabin sole somewhat, so there's less headroom than with the wing (more than the C-22), but that's the main trade-off from all I've seen.

Several times, one member here trailed his C-250 WB from Texas to cross Lake Huron in it. Another member (actually a couple) covered a lot of the USA by road, living in their C-250 WB on the trailer and sailing in many venues along the way... A wing keel would have made those trips more complicated.

Just sayin... (I didn't own a C-250, nor a trailer.)

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/30/2018 07:07:16
Go to Top of Page

Mark Maxwell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
329 Posts

Response Posted - 10/30/2018 :  08:43:05  Show Profile
Albanker, a reasonable price for your trailer really depends on the trailer itself. Do you have pictures? How old is it, Is it painted steel or galvanized (better), bunks or rollers (better), condition of the tires (new tires are $100ea.), brake system and lights and it’s over all appearance. It could be worth $500 - $5,000....then it also depends on how desperate the buyer is. Do a quick search on Craigslist for your area to get an idea of where your trailer fits in the price range given all the criteria I mentioned. Remember too that it’s not just a Catalina trailer (although thats the easiest) it can be modified to fit other boats as well, the load capacity is what is most important. Good luck

Mark-
'Impulse...’
1978 C25 #533 SR/DIN/FIN ~_/)~
Bakersfield, CA.
Go to Top of Page

Albanker
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2018 :  15:34:20  Show Profile
I have posted a listing of this trailer on Craigslist.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/bpo/d/trailer/6740113820.html

Even though someone had a guessed price of 3250, I listed it for 2,500 to hopefully give good value to buyer
Al

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/04/2018 :  10:54:07  Show Profile
quote:

Even though someone had a guessed price of 3250, I listed it for 2,500 to hopefully give good value to buyer
Al
"Guessed" is right! More like SWAGged.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Albanker
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2018 :  09:19:05  Show Profile
Actually I did some research on this site per your suggestion (couldn’t find any on Craigslist) and the $2500 seemed reasonable.
Go to Top of Page

Albanker
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2018 :  10:00:26  Show Profile
And, to be clear, I just want to sell this trailer— not hold out for highest- best good offer gets it !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page