Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Will a Cataline 250 fit withim a 9 foot wide slip?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Number 6 Posted - 08/26/2022 : 14:18:14
I have a Catalina 250 wing keel and I have an opportunity to move to a slip in a better location.

My current slip has a finger on the port side with another boat on the starboard side. There is a pole between the two boat slips, and both of us tie our stern and spring lines to the pole.

The distance between pole and finger is about 10 feet.

The slip that has become available has two fingers that will give me more tie up options and allow me to board the boat from either side. The issue is that the distance between the fingers is only 9 feet. The fingers are about 18 inches above the water.

I know the boat has an 8 1/2 foot beam. Will a 9 foot wide slip be wide enough to keep the boat secure?

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stinkpotter Posted - 08/28/2022 : 12:08:59
It would seem the beam issue is at 18" above the water (what you said the height of the finger docks are), where the hull will contact (I presume) a rub-strip on the edge of the finger. At that height, I suspect you're very close to the 8'6" beam amidships.

I suspect having a finger dock on both sides, unlike Steve's scenario, would be more restrictive, particularly for entering the slip. You won't have much margin for error for the angle. If all you had were outer pilings like Steve's, you'd have more wiggle room inside of them. Maybe carpet along the edges is a good idea--it might allow easier, less abrasive sliding than vinyl edging or even fenders, as long as the fasteners won't scratch anything. (I'd probably still drop a midship fender on each side once docked.)

I have two "dock wheels" on my finger--one at the outer corner and one at about the middle, but they overhang the edge by about 6", so that would probably be too much for you to fit on both sides.
Steve Milby Posted - 08/26/2022 : 17:58:58
My Cal 25 slip had only about 3-4" clearance on each side. It was in tidal waters. The docks were fixed, not floating, and storms (including hurricanes) occasionally brought extraordinarily high tides. There was no finger pier, so we had to pull the boat close to the dock and board at the transom. The boat's rub rails commonly touched the pilings at the boat's beam. Strips of carpet were attached to the pilings to protect the rub rails, so I never used fenders to protect the boat's beam from the pilings. The boat was never damaged from its close-fitting slip.
Number 6 Posted - 08/26/2022 : 17:11:33
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

A. Your dock lines will have to be pretty snug. Do you get much wave action there (including wakes)?
B. There will be only 3" on each side for tiny fenders, which I presume you'd want at least entering and leaving. (They'll likely be scuffing the fingers and riding up both ways.)
C. You'll need more clearance outside to make your turn going out and get lined up coming in. Wind will be more of a problem.

Can you try it? I have my doubts.

Of course I will try the slip first before committing. There is a boat there now and once it moves, I will try it out. The slip is about 8 or 9 fingers from the outer floats and any boat traffic, so wakes are minimum. There is zero wave action.

Wouldn't the beam on a 250 be less at the waterline? I don't know how much but I guess it has to be 6 inches, maybe more. That would certainly give me more clearance. Anyone know the waterline beam of a 250? Cannot find the info anywhere.

Thank you!
Stinkpotter Posted - 08/26/2022 : 15:06:12
A. Your dock lines will have to be pretty snug. Do you get much wave action there (including wakes)?
B. There will be only 3" on each side for tiny fenders, which I presume you'd want at least entering and leaving. (They'll likely be scuffing the fingers and riding up both ways.)
C. You'll need more clearance outside to make your turn going out and get lined up coming in. Wind will be more of a problem.

Can you try it? I have my doubts.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page