Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Wobbly Spreaders

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LT_Smash Posted - 05/02/2019 : 16:02:08
Hi All,

Proud part owner of 1980 Capri 25, Hull No. 68 here.

The boat is solid and in remarkable shape for its age. One thing that concerns me is that the spreaders can wobble. If you grab the uppers and give them a shake the outboard end of the spreader wobbles fore and aft a good 3-4 inches either way. Catalina direct says that's not meant to be and that no replacement spreaders or mounts are available.

Apparently there is a pin through the spreader base and spreader, and they can wear, allowing play. If I can't replace it, can I just JB-Weld the spreader into the base perpendicular to the mast? My only other idea is to drill out the hole slightly and fit a slightly larger pin (and JB-Weld the pin in to prevent it falling out). Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,
LT_Smash
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Russ.Johnson Posted - 04/08/2020 : 19:31:31
quote:
Originally posted by SailTowery

Russ, I really think your pay to post pics policy needs to change. I'm not sure what is accomplished by it but it sure feels counterproductive to establishing goodwill among Capri 25 owners.

I think there is a misunderstanding.
Posting photos on the forum is free.
Here are the procedures posting in the Testing Forum.
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2623
SailTowery Posted - 04/08/2020 : 15:12:10
Russ, I really think your pay to post pics policy needs to change. I'm not sure what is accomplished by it but it sure feels counterproductive to establishing goodwill among Capri 25 owners.
LT_Smash Posted - 04/08/2020 : 08:55:48
I think I made a decent fix.

The cotter pins have been replaced with 6 mm stainless pins. These are larger than the holes in the spreader bases as the holes in the spreaders had been worn oblong by the wobbling with a small and flexible pin, and 6mm allowed me to round them out again by enlarging the holes with a 1/4" bit.

There was still about a 1/8" gap between the spreaders and bases, so I ordered a 10x10x1/8" sheet of silicone off Amazon for $8 and wrapped a strip of it around the mast-end of each spreader. It is not a super tight fit so the spreaders can still move as required by mast rake and bend, but they are snug and secure now. About $20 and 45 minutes total.
SailTowery Posted - 03/20/2020 : 09:25:38
LT, I would think you could make your own "bushing" with epoxy somehow.

My original spreader brackets were actually male pieces that inserted into the spreader. There was a foam bushing inside the spreader.
LT_Smash Posted - 03/19/2020 : 20:17:16
Here's my spreader situation. The bases look like they match the drawing architectural drawing Ben provided.

https://ibb.co/QHhz777
https://ibb.co/wNZkrM6
https://ibb.co/cb7g7vm

Upon removal today there were some translucent fragments of brittle plastic - bushing remnants maybe?

Thanks for posting pics of those Ben, they look really nice. And thank you Joe for the link to replacement spreaders.
SailTowery Posted - 03/19/2020 : 15:32:27
Page 12-13 for spreaders...

https://cdn4.sportngin.com/attachments/document/0153/7656/Capri25ArchDrawings.pdf#_ga=2.7521522.1781207467.1584657039-1434130390.1582660338

I used this to make my spreader brackets which I posted pics of above.
LT_Smash Posted - 03/19/2020 : 13:39:06
Hello again all,

We unstepped the mast yesterday in preparation for crane-out/bottom paint.

I know why my spreaders are so wobbly - there is about a 1/4" gap between the outside of the spreaders and the inside of the spreader base! Nothing but a bent cotter pin to retain the spreaders inside the bases.

Can someone post measurements and/or a picture of you factory spreaders? Trying to figure out if the bases or the spreaders themselves are wrong. Will post a pic of mine soon.

***Edit*** just spoke to Catalina tech support and they didn't seem to think any of that is a problem at all, not even how much sweep there is in the spreaders. They pointed out that spreaders do need play to allow for rake and mast bend adjustments.

Thank you!
LT_Smash
TCurran Posted - 05/10/2019 : 04:40:41
Ben, look on the left hand side, click on "Members Area". You'll have to sign in again. Once in the member area there are instructions to help.

TCurran Posted - 05/10/2019 : 04:29:54
quote:
Originally posted by SailTowery

If I could figure out how to post pics, I would post some of my custom spreader brackets. :)

Can you post them on FB? Thanks
LT_Smash Posted - 05/09/2019 : 09:47:46
Thanks to both of you for your comments and ideas.
SailTowery Posted - 05/07/2019 : 08:11:59
I wouldn't think JB Weld would hold up to the loads put on spreaders. I would buy new spreaders like Joe above. I ended up having a friend fabricate new spreader brackets for me. Lighter and much stiffer. He'd probably make more for the right price.

joearcht Posted - 05/02/2019 : 17:39:57
Congrats Smash,

I had a similar problem on 433 when I acquired it.

I found that Rig-Rite - K-SP22 of roughly 32" in length will fit as a replacement. Barely noticeable if ANY difference. I paid $69.00 a piece for two of them plus shipping.
I bet they are still available, but don't know how much inflation may have kicked in.

http://www.rigrite.com

Check them out first and compare the replacement before you try to repair. I've been happy with mine for 12 years now.

Good Luck

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page