Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Bimini and mainsheet options

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jacob Posted - 01/31/2023 : 10:06:16
Hello, just wondering if anyone has installed some form of mainsheet system on their 250 that would get it out of the middle of the cockpit. Clear cockpit space is highly valuable for us with several kids aboard. Ideally I would like to be able to install a bimini over the forward part of the cockpit for shade as that's one of the biggest complaints I get on the boat.
Thanks!
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Robb Posted - 02/28/2023 : 15:19:11
Thanks for the info Alippold; Shocking how much hardware has gone up in the past couple of years. The stock cockpit cushions butt directly against the companionway bulkhead so modification would be needed - and I dont have the necessary skills or a heavy duty sewing machine. LOL. As much as I'd love to race my boat, she'd need to go on an extreme diet to be competitive....starting with the inboard diesel, saildrive leg, 40 liter diesel tank, bow thruster etc. I guess I'll just be relegated to crewing on other boats for racing.
Robb Posted - 02/28/2023 : 14:54:08
Thanks for the reply Steve - I agree that Garhauer components are both good quality and good value. When I checked into the pricing a couple months ago, I still had a bit of sticker shock. Even the lowest cost MT 3 which appears to be a direct replacement for the stock traveler costs $675.00 after I convert the $ to CDN before shipping and duty etc. I might see if I can jury rig a standard block in lieu of the two sheaves on the traveler car and see if it will work.
alippold Posted - 02/10/2023 : 05:39:14
The only cockpit cushions I have are ones I made, so it wasn't a problem to modify them. The longer traveler does reduce the cockpit seating area. I was more concerned with sailing performance for racing than with seating. It might not be a good option if seating is your primary concern. The longer traveler allows better sail shape downwind and more options to control heeling in heavy weather.

I purchased everything for this upgrade in 2021. I just checked Catalina Direct and the prices have almost doubled since I purchased!! It took a very long time for me to get the traveler due to the pandemic.
Steve Milby Posted - 02/08/2023 : 20:04:26
I replaced the original traveler on my C&C 35 with a new one from Garhauer. I provided the length that I needed and they cut it to that length. To give you an idea of their customer service, they had me make a simple template of the screw holes holding the old traveler, and they drilled and countersunk the screw holes in the new traveler. Their prices were much better than the other brands, their hardware is nicely made and their customer service was extraordinary. I ordered it at a boat show and recall getting a small discount.
Robb Posted - 02/08/2023 : 19:49:46
Thanks for the picture Alipold; my traveler blew apart last year while my boat was moored. I suspect the the constant movement of powerboats going by and creating waves caused it to loosen up from the boom swinging back and forth. Got to the boat to go for a sail and found nuts, bolts and associated parts all over the deck. Found everything except one of the silver/gray sheaves. Unlikely that I'll find a replacement so I may need to purchase an entire system - but they are quite expensive. The only thing about the long traveler that you have is that the cockpit seat cushions would need to be modified. Did you have to do that?
alippold Posted - 02/08/2023 : 16:21:30
I installed a traveler for the mainsheet two seasons ago. I purchased the traveler from Catalina Direct. I wanted the traveler primarily for racing. It improves the handling of the boat significantly. It does also allow you to move the mainsheet out of the middle of the cockpit. This is a link to a picture of the installation. https://mywebquilter.com/amberwaves/traveler.jpg

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page