Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Contemplating the purchase of a 95 C250 WB

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JanS48 Posted - 10/01/2022 : 22:14:22
Greetings everyone
I currently own an 82 C25 STD FK. It's been a great boat but getting more expensive to haul and store every year. I'm looking at a 95 C250 WB that has a very good price. I'm assuming because of the design it will be way easier to trailer myself. I sail out of Newport harbor in Narragansett bay RI. I sail the bay mostly but do venture out to Block Island on occasion.

The boat will only be moved twice a year, spending every season in the bay - is that an issue?

The 95 C250 WB comes with a step transom and wheel steering (not sure if that's good or bad).

Can anyone comment on the handling of the two boats? I'm kind of assuming my C25 will take seas better - but... perhaps the C250 will be adequate.

Does anyone know if the C250 WB will handle a Honda 9.9 Extra long shaft? ( I just purchased a new one for the C25 last season ).

The boat does not come with a trailer - any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Jan
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stinkpotter Posted - 10/09/2022 : 10:27:04
Our long-time C-250 guru was Arlyn Stewart--a Texan who towed to, and sailed on Lake Huron on his WB model. You can Search for posts by him in the archives--he hasn't been active here since 2001. I recall him asserting that the WB model resisted fore-and-aft pitching in big chop compared to the wing keel, due to the length of the ballast tank. Other than that, the name Lake Huron should satisfy any concerns about sea-worthiness--he crossed it to Canada some number of times, undoubtedly being over the horizon from both shores and sailing at night. You should be able to find his stories.

I'm not up on the current trailer market, but I'd ask some boat dealers. You could get lucky and find a good used one that is adaptable to the C-250 WB, but I would expect to need to go "new" unless you're moving it a very short distance at low speeds, in which case compromise is a little more reasonable. If you'll be at highway speeds, a substantial tow vehicle is important--not just for weight, but for length of wheelbase to resist side-to-side oscillation. Brakes are also a requirement under many if not most state regs. As Henk suggests, renting is generally an option.

Many if not most sailboats these days have open transoms. Besides all of the usability advantages, for seaworthiness there's also an advantage (explaining it on modern ocean racers): If you do get pooped , creating a cockpit full of water, it'll be gone as quickly as it came. These transoms are generally accompanied by a raised sill on the companionway, so some water momentarily in the cockpit won't run into the cabin. I've only heard one story from someone who was pooped in a C-24, and the open transom made it a non-event. "Easy come, easy go," but it hardly ever comes.

More than a few C-250 owners have had Honda 9.9s--turning the outboard for close maneuvering is apparently limited, but otherwise I recall no real complaints. (John Russell is one owner who comes to mind.)

I like tillers over wheels, to... Friends bought a C-30 with a tiller, and never wanted to change. It's a matter of taste. A wheel doesn't require swing room, but it is a permanent obstruction of sorts.
zeil Posted - 10/08/2022 : 09:26:42

Jan...

Although better qualified people will likely answer, here are a few impressions

The boat will only be moved twice a year, spending every season in the bay - is that an issue?
Not really... you'd like it. We loved having the C250WB in a slip for many seasons. Proper anti-fouling will make seasonal hull cleaning easy

The 95 C250 WB comes with a step transom and wheel steering (not sure if that's good or bad).
The open transom, equipped with a swim ladder is a delight in every way. Even in big following seas we've never experienced water coming aboard. Wheel steering seems like an upgrade... personally I like the feel of a tiller.

Can anyone comment on the handling of the two boats? I'm kind of assuming my C25 will take seas better - but... perhaps the C250 will be adequate.
Having limited C25 experience, the boats are two of a kind. For sure the WB is more tender, reefs earlier and will take weather better than it's skipper

Does anyone know if the C250 WB will handle a Honda 9.9 Extra long shaft? ( I just purchased a new one for the C25 last season ).
Yes... but make sure it's unlike the Yamaha model where the control arm is located outside the motor's body contour and pretty well eliminates starboard motor assisted turns and port side limited turns

The boat does not come with a trailer - any recommendations?
Yes... find a good trailer... it adds a lot of independence not just for storage but provides for great exploration of other venues. If you don't own, rent or borrow a truck

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page