Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Seacock??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
TwistyMcFisty Posted - 10/03/2022 : 02:53:54
Does this look ok?? Just got the boat. Sink wouldn’t drain so I started poking around. The faucet knob on the left just kinda turns and doesn’t do anything. I plan to delete the cooler drain alltogether.
I think I need to address this while the boat is out of the water.
Help!!

12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bigelowp Posted - 10/15/2022 : 06:06:13
There are many articles written about gate valves (which your pictures show you have) vs proper seacocks as well as "too hull" vs "through hull" fittings. Catalina was not the only boat manufacturer to use both early on. ALL articles discuss the importance of replacing with properly installed seacocks. Catalina Direct have them at reasonable pricing. The project should be doable for you to handle over the winter.
Voyager Posted - 10/07/2022 : 06:05:58
I know that there’s another thread on this, however, here’s an article from Catalina Direct about just this issue.
To Hull Fitting
islander Posted - 10/05/2022 : 13:45:05
And while your at it get rid of that old gate valve and replace it with a proper quarter turn ball valve. I'd be scared to turn that old thing.
Steve Milby Posted - 10/04/2022 : 18:12:23
I posted a link in response to your query in the General Forum and summarized the procedure. The link was to an article by Bill Holcomb, who probably knows more about C25s than anyone outside of Catalina Yachts. He described replacing to hull fittings with thru fittings and ball valves. Sometimes I have to read an article like that 2-3 times before a light bulb comes on and I suddenly get it.
TwistyMcFisty Posted - 10/04/2022 : 17:09:46
Did the search numerous times. Only four threads come up…none of which are much help.
Stinkpotter Posted - 10/04/2022 : 09:19:37
Leon's right (as always)--it's NOT OK! If you use Search looking for "to-hull" in the C-25 forum (including archives), you'll get pages of discussions about this subject--at least one by Bill Holcomb, one of our top C-25 gurus. Some stories include descriptions of how the bronze pipe, held just by its threads in the epoxy "volcano", crumbled in their hands. Some include discussions of adding backing plates for the new thru-hull, using something like HDPE ($tarbard or a cheap cutting board from Walmart). Many have photos...

Good on you for spotting this early! Fortunately, starting around 1984 or so, Catalina started using proper thru-hull fittings and ball valves--my 1985 had flush exterior disks that were countersunk into the hull (instead of "mushrooms")--overkill IMHO.
TwistyMcFisty Posted - 10/04/2022 : 03:22:36
I want to replace it now, as the boat is iut of the water.
Leon Sisson Posted - 10/03/2022 : 21:16:47
Re:  "Does this look ok??

No!  That is what we here refer to as a "to-hull" as opposed to a proper thru-hull (or through hull) and seacock.

I suggest you search this forum for "to-hull" with [X] Archived Posts checked.  For that matter, browsing previous posts in this forum is time well spent for any new Catalina 25 owner.

Re:  "Just got the boat... I think I need to address this while the boat is out of the water.

Yes, don't screw around with that mess while the boat is in the water.

Here are a couple links clarifying what should be there, with good photos:
"Seacock & Thru-Hull Primer Information"
"Replacing Thru-Hulls and Seacocks"

As Bruce said, get hold of either Don Casey's "Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual" or "This Old Boat" (no need to buy both), or Nigel Calder's "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual"

For a mere $50 each — only half a boat buck — it's money well spent.

If you need more specific details on how we replaced the "to-hulls" on our boats, just ask.
Voyager Posted - 10/03/2022 : 18:45:57
Oh, answering your actual question. Early through hulls we’re called volcano types seacocks. In a 40-year-old boat they are very brittle and fragile. If you’re still in the water, just leave it the heck alone. It could easily just bust off and flood your boat. Wait until you haul out, then bust it off. Don Casey’s book on repairing old sailboats (which you should be able to borrow from your public library) will describe how to replace a through hull fitting the safe way.
TwistyMcFisty Posted - 10/03/2022 : 18:40:32
That’s exactly what I want to do.
I’m worried about the drain failing at the thru hull and letting water in.
Voyager Posted - 10/03/2022 : 18:37:41
Is this the seacock near the galley? There are two lines that drain here: [1] the galley sink, and [2] the ice chest cooler.
If you use the galley cooler and load it up with ice, the ice will melt and water will run down the drain. The original setup allowed water from the galley sink drain to backup into the cooler, so there was a cheap check valve in line on the cooler to prevent this from happening. Also, because the cooler is so deep, if the boat is on a heel, seawater was able to drain back into the cooler. So much for your ice!
I decided to stop using the cooler altogether: I store pots and pans in there. I disconnected the hose and plugged the end. Then I ran a straight run to the through hull from the galley sink.
I bought a much more efficient and more easily accessible 3-1/2 day cooler that doesn’t need to drip ice water anywhere. There is a raised floor in the new cooler where the water goes. My meats, cheeses and veggies stay dry, and never swim in the meltwater.
TwistyMcFisty Posted - 10/03/2022 : 18:37:14
If I hust crank on this fitting would I risk damaging the thru hull???

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page