Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Gudgeons

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mheds5116 Posted - 09/25/2022 : 18:58:45
Hi, The left screw/bolt on the lower rudder gudgeon on my Cat25 is missing. I got in the water and was able to make sure the other five screw/bolts were tight so the gudgeons are ok for now. I couldn't tell if they were screws or bolts and couldn't really loosen any.

I subsequently got underneath the quarter berth but didn't see any bolts or plates where the lower gudgeon would be bolted in. My '82 didn't come with bolts/plate but only screws that didn't go all the way through the hull so I need to wait until haul out in a couple weeks and then upgrade?

I read the forum threads on the topic. Also watched the youtube video that was linked, showing now to replace them. The video clearly showed the inner plate/lock nut on the gudgeon bolts.

I also checked Catalina Direct for info. They mention an upgrade to 5/16" bolts and heavier gudgeons. They made it sound like it was an upgrade from the original 1/4" bolts and plates. If that's the case, I should have seen something under the aft quarter berth.

I'm headed down to the boat tomorrow and will take another look.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Mark
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stinkpotter Posted - 10/04/2022 : 09:39:17
I can't be certain about an '82, but I believe C-25s up to at least 1988 were built with small bronze plates epoxied onto the interior of the hull with threaded holes for the "bolts" (or "machine screws") that attach the gudgeons. They didn't use nuts. Some folks have added nuts to those bolts for security, even when not replacing the gudgeons. Catalina Direct's kit does it right (as usual).
mheds5116 Posted - 10/02/2022 : 17:58:45
"I doubt Catalina used screws. These boats are built with a fiberglass liner on the inside of the hull. There is a gap between the hull and the liner so your bolts come through the hull but not through the liner this is why you won't see any bolts or the plate from inside the boat. If you remove that teak access panel at the back of the quarter berth you will find the plate."

* Removed the teak access panel at the back of the quarter berth - no plate. Only found the outboard starter cables mount the previous owner installed. I removed that and there was nothing behind it.
* The manual bilge pump exit hose is there but it's at least 6" higher than the lower gudgeon and is offset to the port side, not centered.

So, I'm guessing on my '82, your comment about the liner seems to be why I don't see any plate as the bolts come through the hull but not the liner.

I took photos but I'm not sure how to attach them to a post...

I don't have the round access cover but believe if I needed to repair the upper gudgeon I'd see the inner plate if I hole-sawed an opening and then put in one of the Catalina Direct covers.
islander Posted - 09/26/2022 : 15:01:40
quote:
My '82 didn't come with bolts/plate but only screws that didn't go all the way through the hull

I doubt Catalina used screws. These boats are built with a fiberglass liner on the inside of the hull. There is a gap between the hull and the liner so your bolts come through the hull but not through the liner this is why you won't see any bolts or the plate from inside the boat. If you remove that teak access panel at the back of the quarter berth you will find the plate. This pic is from my gudgeon replacement. It is of the upper one and shows the plate and bolts with locking nuts that I added. The plate is brass and is threaded. The bottom is the same. The upper needs to have a hole cut to gain access.
hlprmnky Posted - 09/26/2022 : 05:27:34
On my 1986 fin keel, there’s a little wooden panel on the back wall of the quarter berth, similar in design to the one you’ll find at the forepeak of the v-berth. This gives access into the space between the quarter berth and the transom, back end of the bilge space, etc. and the lower gudgeon plate can be found here.

I was under the impression that she left the factory with this access panel in place, however I also know that there is not a factory-standard affordance to inspect the *upper* gudgeon, and that many folks end up adding one of those round plastic ports to the cockpit transom for upper gudgeon inspection and maintenance.

If your boat doesn’t have the quarter berth access panel, I suspect you’ll want to add one to replace the failed bolt and make sure the other two lower gudgeon bolts are as snug as they seem from outside.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page