Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Virginia Sailing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
PZell Posted - 08/12/2022 : 07:54:16
In VA visiting daughter in Powhatan. Anybody know of sailing venues a reasonable distance from there? Searching looks like power boat country on rivers! Think I’m going to be spoiled by SF Bay!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lee Panza Posted - 08/26/2022 : 14:24:22
I've been wondering where you've been for the past few beer cans. You missed a drifter and a couple of gear-busters, but everyone's been having fun. I'm sorry to hear you were ill, but I hope you enjoyed your visit back East. This coming Tue. will be the last race of the season, so I hope you can make it.
PZell Posted - 08/25/2022 : 13:21:30
Yeah gotta do a lot more investigating and see some of the marinas.
Not a done deal but considering possible relocation and where that could be in proximity to family and sailing. Always up for suggestions.
Stinkpotter Posted - 08/24/2022 : 19:18:49
Paul... Now it sounds like we're talking about you relocating--I thought the discussion was just about getting out on the water while you were visiting. This is a whole different subject:
  • Live where relative to your family and your boat?
  • Access to the Chesapeake, or just to a big (shallow) estuarial river?
  • Club with racing and/or cruising and social activities?, or basic marina (maybe with a pool)?
I think it's all in the area... I have sailing relatives in Norfolk (Dr.s) who are very happy there, and as I said, old sailing friends in Richmond...
PZell Posted - 08/24/2022 : 18:11:21
Thanks Dave and others. Kinda would like to be able go down to boat for a sail or activities like yacht club races etc. without making a big production out of it. Currently takes me 35 mins to get to marina for sail here with Cat25. Could deal with hour travel, but more than that shoots down any fun. Not really want to rent. Spoils the whole boat experience. If had to suppose could go trailer sailer, but don’t want cramped too small. I’m over skiffs unless maybe it was a Haven or the like. Wound up back home with Covid but almost over it. Bummer missing last couple of beer cans.
Stinkpotter Posted - 08/20/2022 : 20:04:51
I have old friends in the west outskirts of Richmond who had a big Hunter, I believe, in a marina near the Chesapeake... I'm not sure they would have suggestions for day-sail rentals or whatever--I'm still unclear on what you're looking for in terms of locations, vessels and usage.
PZell Posted - 08/19/2022 : 15:23:10
Oops meant kids are West of Richmond. Anyway now headed back to West Coast. Will keep trying to get informed on Chesapeake and rivers.
PZell Posted - 08/17/2022 : 11:49:03
Thanks for suggestions. Been doing some researching of marinas and travel times etc. but no time on this trip to get in depth feeling of area. Wife really doesn’t like idea of daughter so far away. Might have to consider move to VA. Trouble is daughter out in boonies and sailing appears to be far away. Kids are East of Richmond. Only seem to get on forum when I’m stumped on something these days. Still sailing and racing SFBAY 2 to 3 times a week.
Stinkpotter Posted - 08/12/2022 : 11:26:21
Are you looking for a rental as well as a venue? It is indeed not like SF Bay... You have the Navy on the James River, the Cigarettes on the York, and the black flies around both, looking for fresh west coast ankles.
Steve Milby Posted - 08/12/2022 : 09:05:48
The south end of the Chesapeake Bay is at Newport. It extends north about 200 miles.

A site I would highly recommend while in the area is the Mariners Museum at Newport News. The museum's centerpiece is the original iron clad Monitor, which is being preserved there.

The Yorktown battlefield is also nearby and by going through it and reading the historical markers you can visualize the flow of the battle.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page