Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Re-arm auto-inflatable life jacket

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Voyager Posted - 07/16/2022 : 06:47:27
Some time ago I purchased three West-Marine branded auto-inflatable inshore life jackets during a promotional sale. They’re very comfortable and as long as you inspect them yearly, they work well.
This week in the heat, one of them went off in my parked car. The thermometer read 120°F in the parked car when I returned from lunch.

Now I need to re-arm them.

Does anybody have any experience with these, or suggestions on what OEM brand West Marine used? I imagine that another company manufactured them and stuck a WM tag on them. I need the bobbin and the dissolving pill actuator for the unit, assuming that the CO2 cartridge is pretty standard across the board.

Now looking at Defender and West, prices on-sale for auto-inflatable PDFs are $180-250 each. These were $99 back in the day.

Thoughts?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Voyager Posted - 07/28/2022 : 21:05:35
The Leland kit for West Marine life vests comes in an inshore version with a smaller CO2 cartridge (about 22 gms) and the larger 33 gm offshore CO2 cartridge. The bobbin or “pill” that releases the pin is what you’d have to check for size and fit.
Davy J Posted - 07/28/2022 : 10:41:12
I am currently rearming a pair of "SOSpenders" made by Stearns. The PFD's are about ten years old and this will be the second time rearming them. However, Stearns has discontinued the kit. I did discover that the kit is actually made by a company called Leland Gas. It was just a matter of picking the right Co2 bottle, grams and thread size, make sure you get that "automatic" kit with the green indicator.

Edit: link to WM Leland kits
https://www.westmarine.com/search?q=rearming%20kit&prefn1=manufacturerName&prefv1=LELAND

Oops.... see that Bjoye covered this above...

Steve Milby Posted - 07/27/2022 : 15:08:27
I just bought a Bass Pro Shops automatic inflatable pfd (Model AM 24) at Cabela's on sale for $59.99. The sale is over, but it'll be on sale again at Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop, or, if you don't want to wait, their regular price is $99.99. The recharge kit costs $25.00 and it's easy to recharge when needed. The manufacturer recommends rearming every 5 years.
bigelowp Posted - 07/27/2022 : 14:07:30
Every two years I take my West inflatable jackets to the local West store. They get the correct cartridge -- and even do the replacement for me! Its pretty straight forward as long as you get the correct cartridge.
dmpilc Posted - 07/19/2022 : 12:06:10
I had one go off in the car once, hot humid day, windows rolled up while at work. I used to have a stick-on thermometer in the car, one day it went off the scale which maxed out at 150 degrees.) Re-arm kits are not inexpensive. Now, if I think there's a chance to get wet, like working foredeck in a regatta, I'll wear a standard PFD.
Voyager Posted - 07/17/2022 : 04:52:34
My wife and I usually put them on when we arrive, one less thing to forget. And most falls off boats are at or around the dock.
When mine inflated you’re right, Dave, it’s like a boa constrictor, however, they support the back of your neck, and will turn you face up in the water.
Scott - you’re right - don’t leave them in a hot car.
Bill - I brought my old life vest to the store and they had a Leland 24gm unit right there next to the PDFs. Piece of cake to replace. Thanks all!
Stinkpotter Posted - 07/16/2022 : 14:48:31
quote:
Originally posted by bjoye

...They don't count as official pdfs if they are out of date.

Inflatables also don't count if you're not wearing them. (Putting them on after the Coasties spot you doesn't count.)

Before the first time I rearmed mine, I put it on and pulled the cord--thought it was going to choke me! Comfortable when flat is one thing--I've gone back to a traditional jacket.
bjoye Posted - 07/16/2022 : 08:25:43
I have a couple of inflatable pdfs from West Marine. The basic 'inshore' vests use the 'Leland' rearming kit. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/leland--inflatable-life-jacket-rearming-kit-automatic-24-g-1-2-threaded--6975999?cm_sp=Onsite-Recs-_-Frequently-Bought-Together-_-Navigate-PDP Check the size of the CO2 cartridge as they vary from 24g to 38g

The 'Off Shore' vests are made by Mustang and take this kit (or similar) https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1%7C135%7C2290066%7C2290076&id=597875

I rearmed all my vests early this year, since all where out of date. The simple 'inshore' vests I think are only good for 3 years, the Mustang vests, 5 years. They don't count as official pdfs if they are out of date.
islander Posted - 07/16/2022 : 08:04:31
quote:
Does anybody have any experience with these, or suggestions

Yes, Don't leave them in a hot car.....
Couldn't resist but are these re-arming kits universal? If not and they are model spesific do you have a WM model # somewhere on the jacket? That kit you are looking at says it comes with directions.
Voyager Posted - 07/16/2022 : 07:40:38
Comparing the parts, it appears that I need something like a 33g CO2 cartridge and a bobbin kit like this

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page