Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Damaged mast-repair or replace?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ddougla Posted - 06/17/2022 : 12:06:19
Hi All: A bad wind storm knocked over a tree that landed on top my 1981 C25 parked in my driveway. The mast was cradled at each end across the top of the boat and probably prevented the tree from crushing the top of the cabin. However, the tree crimped the front of the mast about 12 feet up from the base just below the spreader bars. I'm now left wondering if the mast can be repaired or will I need to replace it.

Doug D. sailing out of Port Clinton, OH
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Voyager Posted - 06/18/2022 : 08:26:00
In the case that the mast is not repairable, what are the alternatives? For example, is anybody parting out a C25? If other boats’ masts are available, does anything come close to a C25 mast in size, shape, fittings? Could Catalina direct source a mast if you call them up? Dwyer Masts in Rhode Island offers different mast extrusions. You can see them here: https://www.dwyermast.com/families.asp?cat1ID=20&cat1Name=Masts
I hear that they offer a good product, but not cheap.
Best of luck with the repairs — hope things work out well for you.
ddougla Posted - 06/18/2022 : 05:51:02
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking the best way to proceed is to dock the boat at my harbor leaving the mast on the trailer and then seeking out a rigger in Port Clinton who can guide me on the best way to proceed. At least that way, I can use the boat for fishing and swimming until I get the mast repaired or replaced.
Steve Milby Posted - 06/17/2022 : 15:02:48
Some repairs can be made to aluminum masts, but it depends on how severe the damage is. There must be some skilled riggers in the Port Clinton/Cleveland area. I'd suggest you take it to one or two and ask for estimates. They'll tell you if they can repair it and for how much. Take it to them. Don't just describe it to them. They'll need to see it.
islander Posted - 06/17/2022 : 14:21:14
Wow sorry to hear this but I guess it really depends on if you can find a shop that does mast repairs in your area or finding a suitable replacement mast in your area. I'd go with whichever one of those two choices is available.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page