Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cabin Head Room

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mlapier Posted - 05/21/2022 : 10:06:55
I have a 1979 C-25. Over the years Catalina made modifications to the C-25 that increased the headroom inside the cabin. Other that adding a pop top does anyone know what Catalina did to the C-25 design to increase the headroom in the cabin?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GaryB Posted - 05/23/2022 : 20:17:40
When I was looking for my boat I was on several '83 -'86 C-25's. Its been 14 or so years since I was on an older one but I'd guess my '89 has 4 - 6 inches more than the earlier models.
Voyager Posted - 05/22/2022 : 20:46:44
Dave, I’ve been on several 25-30 footers that offer enough headroom for me (5’11”). I’ve had the “bigger hammer” in my hands several times eyeing the door track in the head. My better judgment kept me from starting a project that I knew I would not have time to finish.
Stinkpotter Posted - 05/22/2022 : 19:12:15
Have either of you (Scott and Bruce) been in an '89+? The difference is significant, although I guess less so if you're over 6'. (I'm not.) Unfortunately, those vintages are relatively rare--leading to the C-25's discontinuance.

The C-27 never had a swing keel, so always had a lot more headroom--I'm guessing a 6'2" person stands comfortably below (not being one). (NBA players can move up a few notches.)

On earlier vintages, I suggest removing the headers for the accordion doors on both ends of the head and putting in curtains. It was on my list...
Voyager Posted - 05/22/2022 : 16:49:01
Especially if you don’t duck when you enter the head area. Ouch! I have a permanent crease in my scalp from mine.
islander Posted - 05/22/2022 : 14:26:44
Doesn't matter what they did, you'll still bang your head.
Stinkpotter Posted - 05/22/2022 : 12:45:11
In 1989, Catalina revised the interior mold based on the elimination of the swing keel, which was replaced by the wing, eliminating the need for a trunk inside the hull. This allowed them to flatten and lower the floor several inches (I don't remember how many). They also revised the deck mold at the same time. Other than the fuel locker in the cockpit in the early 80s, I'm not aware of any changes of that nature before then, although they may have started using the new interior mold in 1988. So that improvement lasted essentially three model years, with rapidly declining production before the C-25 was discontinued.
Steve Milby Posted - 05/21/2022 : 11:40:01
I seem to remember someone saying Catalina flattened the floor a little, but the effect on head room was insignificant. There's really no room to move the floor down, so, to provide more head room, Catalina moved the coach roof up, with the pop top.

I think the C25 was really designed to be a "weekender." It provides shelter from the weather and basic accommodations for short-term occupancy. I lived on my C22, which has considerably less interior volume and head room than the C25, for 3 weeks, cruising the Gulf Coast. At times it was uncomfortable, but, in return you get an adventure. If boat builders gave a small boat all the comforts available in a big boat, they'd never be able to sell big boats.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page