Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Rudder Gudgeons

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
delling3 Posted - 04/06/2022 : 10:19:01
Tried searching for this, but didn't find anything. I am sure it's been covered before. I am replacing the gudgeons on my '85 C-25. Does anyone know when Catalina switched over to a glassed in threaded mounting plate, as opposed to nuts and backing washers? I would prefer not to have to cut an access port to change out the fastners!

Thanks in advance.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Voyager Posted - 04/07/2022 : 10:35:14
Several years back, whilst on a passage, my gudgeons loosened up and I almost lost the lower one in the drink! So I reinstalled new SS bolts in the bottom one down below in the quarterberth access panel using flat washers plus split washers and some locktite to keep them in place. Nylock nuts would have worked also.
I was similarly concerned about the top gudgeon, however, when checked it was snug as a bug in a rug. Nonetheless, I removed the bolts which looked fine. I applied some locktite on these too and screwed them back in finger-tight plus 1/2 a turn. Lo, these many years later, they’re all still fine and in place.
Also since then, each spring I walk around the boat with my screwdriver/nutdriver gun set on 3 and check any screws or bolts that I see. I generally find something that’s loose.
islander Posted - 04/07/2022 : 07:02:27
I also wanted the hole as small as possible so I used a 3" deck plate. The one in the photo is this one. You will have to trim it a bit as I said above.
https://www.amazon.com/Nicro-N10863DW-plate-white-snap/dp/B000NI01VC
delling3 Posted - 04/07/2022 : 06:36:10
Great help, thanks. Appears I need to get an access port. I would like to make this hole as small as practical. Any opinions on what diameter to use. CD has one with a 4" opening - that seems larger than necessary?

Thanks again!
Stinkpotter Posted - 04/06/2022 : 19:49:26
The '85 looks just like Scott's photo. Nuts are a good idea--washers optional, since the plate acts like one.
islander Posted - 04/06/2022 : 17:36:21
I would guess that it was @ 3-4". Look how wide the transom is where the tiller crosses over it. That can give you an idea. If you look closely at the photo you will see that I had to cut a notch in the inspection port flange to clear the bronze plate and the two outside bolts/nuts.
waterbaby Posted - 04/06/2022 : 11:32:34
Hey Scott, that's a great picture! Can you tell me how much space do you have to work with between the liner and the hull? In you picture it looks like there's almost no space at all.
islander Posted - 04/06/2022 : 11:10:17
If your talking about that bronze plate that the screws threaded into I dont remember mine being glassed in. I think they were just barely held there by some caulk. Those plates aren't very thick and only have a few threads in them so putting washers and Nylock nuts over the plates is a good idea. You can check what your boat has by removing the teak access panel at the back of the berth. you can see/feel the lowerer plate and nuts if any there. You only need to cut an access hole for the upper gudgeon.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page