Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Defender sale

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Voyager Posted - 03/01/2022 : 18:53:57
According to another sailing forum, Defender Industries, everybody’s family owned chandlery has been sold to Canada’s FortNine investors. See the article: https://www.mondaq.com/pressrelease/85502/FortNine-In-Partnership-With-Novacap-Acquires-Defender-Industries

While it’s unknown what will become of Defender in years to come, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that things will change. Prices have already been increased and it should not be too long that we see policy changes.

Alas, another basic staple of boating gear will be different for the coming year. We’ll see how things pan out.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dmpilc Posted - 07/10/2022 : 07:56:49
To replace the outboard while the boat is in the water:
1. Buy about 10' of 1" web strap or use 3/8" rope and fashion a harness around the motor and use a washcloth or small hand towel to cushion the grip section. Back the boat in the slip so the motor is next to the dock. With all connections disconnected, and a preferably strong friend to help, lift the outboard off the bracket and bring it to temporary rest on the dock. At this point the lower unit can still be in the water. Next pull it the rest of the way onto the dock and out of the way. Reverse sequence to install the new motor. Helps to have another person in the boat to guide the motor bracket onto the mount.
If you have to do this yourself, be sure to let your legs do most of the lifting effort. Remember, you are not bench pressing 100 lbs, just a short lift and drag onto the dock, and back in again.
Voyager Posted - 06/18/2022 : 07:44:07
Ah Scott, thanks!! Auto parts. Great suggestion.
I found an article about sealing pipe threads for hose barb fittings from Jamestown Distributors.

See this article . They talk about using the wrong kind of Teflon tape and how it’ll break off and clog the fuel filter, pump or carb.
islander Posted - 06/18/2022 : 07:32:23
It won’t fit on the hose barb fittings on my Racor fuel/water separator. Is there any reducing adapter available to fit this hose?

Sure, Go to any auto store and get the right size barb.

bigelowp Posted - 06/16/2022 : 20:00:11
Better may be -- fuel injection vs. carburetor, or confidence vs not so. My luck with Honda outboards and lawn motors is terrible. Both needed pristine gas to work. My experience with Honda autos was much better. The most important break in period is changing the oil early as any metal particles need to be removed. I doubt RPM or "speed" is as important. Enjoy the confidence and hopefully reliability and fuel consumption of "new"
Voyager Posted - 06/16/2022 : 18:32:02
It’s largely identical, however, from what I’ve seen so far, it’s better. Here’s the current status.

Yesterday, I worked with Steven, a boatyard technician, to remove the original engine and replace it with the new one. We were extremely careful and cautious to prevent any inadvertent damage moving a very heavy motor. I made sure to cushion it in every move to prevent scratches, dings or other damage. He hung it on the engine mount and we secured it with thumb screws and galvanized screws for extra measure.

I connected it to the battery and fuel line today. Started immediately and charged the system. I’ll be “road testing” it tomorrow around Milford.

I must observe the break-in period as advised in the owner’s manual, so I have to run the engine high, low, medium for a few hours. When tooling around the harbor, I generally vary my speed depending on traffic and other obstacles so that should not be a major inconvenience.

I do have a question about a fully sealed fuel system. The Honda-supplied fuel line hose appears quite a bit thinner than my current 3/16” ID hose. It won’t fit on the hose barb fittings on my Racor fuel/water separator. Is there any reducing adapter available to fit this hose? Or should I replace the fuel line and not use the manufacture-supplied hose?

The fuel/water separator really works very well.
Stinkpotter Posted - 06/05/2022 : 11:41:36
I wonder if there are any differences from the one you're replacing (that I bought 20 years ago)...
Voyager Posted - 06/05/2022 : 10:17:20
I succeeded in picking up the new outboard at Defender yesterday. It was a beautiful clear and bright day, perfect for a ride in the countryside. I could have driven straight up I-95 with all the crazies, but instead we took the seaside highways and byways along the Connecticut coastline.
The engine is shipped in a large, sturdy cardboard carton - about 62”x18”x14”. It’s all foam padded inside. It included the Honda XLS engine, a 14 liter fuel tank and a fuel line with primer bulb and end connectors. It even comes with a bottle of motor oil and filling nozzle.
We made a day of it, stopping for an authentic Connecticut lobster roll sandwich (no mayo) and fries. On the way back we treated ourselves to an ice cream cone. The CT beaches are wonderful and crowds were nonexistent for a sunny June afternoon. I suppose that because it was a little cool (~70°) and a low dew point (50°), the beach crowds found something else to do.
Now it’s time to plan to replace my current engine — at 100 poundsI won’t just be able to pop it off solo. I also want to prep and clean up the engine mount, prep the fuel-water separator for the new fuel line, replace the membrane, and check for bad gaskets and air leaks.
And now I’ll advertise the old unit for sale. It still starts and runs fine. We have a whole flock of weekend sailors in the harbor and at the three or four nearby marinas. I’ll probably advertise it old school with a poster at the marinas and boat launches. Maybe a post in the local boating mag.
It should sell quickly at $1500 since there’s a long waiting list for new models.
Voyager Posted - 06/04/2022 : 20:52:37
Yes, Passage is on the dock and the engine is mounted on the bracket. I’m going to hire some of the boatyard crew to help me swap engines. I can back into a single boat slip and get help hoisting the engine around.
islander Posted - 06/04/2022 : 11:44:44
Bruce, Is your boat in the water? I'm wondering about hanging the new motor.
Voyager Posted - 06/01/2022 : 21:54:46
Wow, patience is a virtue! In six weeks the new engine has arrived! I’m going to pick up my new beauty in Waterford, CT next week. Yes, gas is expensive however shipping is too, and in the past two years I’ve had too many large heavy items shipped by local shippers only to find them damaged in someway: a kitchen hutch was destroyed, my Old Town canoe was scratched very badly, a European TV stand was dinged in the last 60 miles from the international Airport by the local guys. So I’m driving my Ford the 110 miles round trip. @27 mpg that’s 4 gallons at $4.50 or $20 plus lunch. I haven’t driven that far in awhile, I hope I can still handle it!
Voyager Posted - 04/28/2022 : 07:48:26
So now I’m looking at eBay and Craigslist to see what the resale value might be. It’s interesting. The net result is there’s a shortage of used outboard inventory available. Still, I have no idea when my new engine will show up. Meantime, I’ll take your advice on updating parts of my current outboard. The impeller looks good. I should replace my spark plugs and fuel filter.
bigelowp Posted - 04/21/2022 : 15:57:52
I use Two Hulls Marine (also a Tohatsu dealer) they do great service and are reasonable.
Voyager Posted - 04/21/2022 : 15:31:00
Hi Peter, thanks for your advice on this, however the deal is done with Defender. Here’s the listing:
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%7C215570%7C1794283%7C1794305&id=7451893#

I will have to rehab my current engine until the new one comes in. I have a local Honda dealers, Two Hulls Marine at Captains Cove in Bridgeport where I can order the part.

I figure that once I update it, I can sell the current motor for a few bucks, so let’s see what the market will bear in a time of high demand.
bigelowp Posted - 04/21/2022 : 07:27:44
Bruce -- I would take your current Honda to a Honda dealer and have them service and advise. Maybe you need only a new carb, which should be way less expensive than an entire engine. FWIW I replace my carb on my 2007 Tohatsu every 5 years - as despite taking care it gets built-up "gunk" -- and I have less than 100 hours on it.
Voyager Posted - 04/21/2022 : 07:16:02
So I just took the plunge.
I tested out my 2002 Honda 8 outboard and while I eventually got it running okay after much messing around with the carb, the starter, the plugs and the coil, I’ve begun to lose faith that the engine will last the season or start reliably whenever I need it.

It has been awesome for years with only regular maintenance (oil, plugs, bottom unit grease, carb cleaner, o-rings) but I think that between the E-10 fuel, the salt water and the age, it’s time to retire. [Now my 1978 British Seagull 2-stroke is still kicking fine, but it’s a much less temperamental engine, much simpler].

Yesterday, I reviewed Defender’s outboard engine catalog and although the Tohatsus and Mercurys looked appealing, I found another Honda 8 XL Shaft with electric start, and alternator and a carb in my price range. I believe that it has the same bottom unit gear ratio and it comes with a 4 vaned propeller like the old one.

Only fly in the ointment is that it’s backordered. Hmmm, the sales person is checking with their Honda rep. He said they’re coming in in dribs and drabs, but there’s nobody on their waiting list ahead of me for this model, so when it comes in, it’s mine. The other brands seem to have more of a backlog.

I’m very glad that I went with Defender. They’re not right in my neighborhood, but they’re still brick and mortar for a while more, and they’re just 50 miles down the road. I opted for customer pick up, so one fine day I’ll be getting out of the house for a day trip. That’ll be a good antidote for my 2-year case of cabin fever!
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/12/2022 : 17:00:56
I hope not--I and my friends use their proximity to get price matching at our local West Marine store. A half-hour drive over and back can be more than worth the difference... Here's an example of how brick-and-mortar is nice for seeing the actual products and getting advice, but online can be great for the variety of products--everything is there!
bigelowp Posted - 03/12/2022 : 06:53:14
FWIW -- I see this as their pivot from being retail and e-commerce to exclusively e-commerce (which is what the new buyers business model is) and I bet they close the retail store within the next 5 years.
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/11/2022 : 22:56:39
Bruce--they'd probably have a line of cars on Great Neck Road, sitting there burning their gas..... I think I'd rather pay for the delivery. And you live what, 4-5 gallons of gas away (at $4.50-$5.00 each)?
Voyager Posted - 03/11/2022 : 19:49:03
Dave, I wonder whether they offer “curb service “? You can order online then drive up to the store where someone comes out to your car with your order. I wonder whether they’d do that rather than 40 max in the store?
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/10/2022 : 22:30:20
The 3/24 - 3/26 sale is paint, zincs, and batteries only, in the warehouse store only, with only up to 40 people allowed in at a time. (Have fun standing in the line.) From 3/27 - 4/3 it's an online sale for what appears to be most of their products--the 40 person limit in the store will continue. (To me, that seems like 30' social distancing, but it's their store. I read it as "stay home"--and I will.)
bigelowp Posted - 03/10/2022 : 09:01:54
Defender "Warehouse Sale" is being replaced by a "Spring Prep Event" from March 24-26 for on-site only and then a "Spring launch Sale" between March 27- April 3 which is on-line and on-site. From preliminary perusal they appear to offer fewer and lower discounts than past Warehouse Sales and very restrictive number allowed into the store at a time (read: long lines). Hate to see the end of a 25+ year ritual of spring for boaters!
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/07/2022 : 22:20:07
Scott: Watch that "Shipping" line on your order form... Somebody's got to buy the gas.
islander Posted - 03/05/2022 : 11:29:01
Dave, With gas going up 5-10 cents a day and heading north the shipping will soon be less than the cost to drive there.
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/03/2022 : 20:06:47
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

...Prices have already been increased and it should not be too long that we see policy changes.
A few supplies I've looked at are still around 30% less at Defender than at West. (I don't worry about shipping--they're only 15 minutes away by Subaru--10 by my friend's Porsche...)
Voyager Posted - 03/03/2022 : 17:20:59
Crazy idea but if the company can reach 10X more customers, they may enjoy better discounts. It follows that they can afford to pass the savings onto the customers. [LOL - what was I thinking!?!?]
Nonetheless, at least they’ll be around to give West Marine a run for their money.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page