Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Removing ethanol from 10% gas

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Voyager Posted - 07/14/2021 : 12:04:20
Subtitle: or how to set yourself on fire !

A chap on YouTube tells you how to simply remove ethanol from a 10% mixture of “petrol” and ethanol. The approach is pretty common sense, but having lived through a fire, I don’t believe I’d put it into practice. I also don’t recommend that you do it either, unless you absolutely need to.

More for curiosity than a practicality

YouTube
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Voyager Posted - 07/17/2021 : 07:57:27
Go fer it Leon! There are some aviation fuel sources that also provide non-ethanol fuel around.
I might not use an electric pump for gasoline since the commutator generates sparks… a hand pump will do fine.
But, if you need some clean gas in a hurry, this quick and dirty method will probably serve the purpose.
Leon Sisson Posted - 07/16/2021 : 07:10:08
I too have what I hope is a healthy respect for gasoline.  (Gas station went up in flames while I was refueling some years ago, when gas-fired heater in another customer's camper van switched on.)  I'd be hesitant to vigorously shake a container with a useful quantity of gas in it.  I know that's how a lot of 2-stroke folks mix their oil and fuel, but still.

However, I would consider mixing using a fuel transfer pump — a cheap electric fuel pump with several feet of fuel hose attached to its inlet and outlet, a fuse, toggle switch, all mounted on a piece of scrap wood, and several feet of duplex wire with battery charger clips on the ends.

In the scenario shown in the video, I'd shove the intake hose all the way to the bottom of the mixing container, and only submerge the outlet hose a little below the surface of the fuel, then run the pump for 'awhile.'  Although my transfer pump is rigged with a small filter, I don't think that would interfere with the process in the video.

Having said all that, I plan to continue buying my non-ethanol gas from the Sunoco station near my house.
Stinkpotter Posted - 07/14/2021 : 14:05:50
Genius! The trick is getting the water out while keeping most of the petrol. The spigot at the bottom of his container is key.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page