Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Anchor Light

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stanirish Posted - 07/07/2021 : 11:48:00
I replaced the navigation side lights (bow) on my Cat25 with led's; but can't find an led light for the stern (white, anchor light) that fits the existing base with three 3 screws.

Any suggestions or am I being too nerdy in insisting it fit the stainless steel base embedded in that location?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Voyager Posted - 07/09/2021 : 21:30:22
I looked up the Meerkat White LED and found the following buyer’s comment:
Reviewed in the United States on April 14, 2021
Color: WhiteVerified Purchase
Great product.shiny,works as expected. Cables were backwards though, red was negative,black was positive.so we quickly figured that out.lol. looks nice, we will see how the metal hold against weather. We ordered again and placed in some storage areas and above bilge pump area .
Voyager Posted - 07/09/2021 : 21:26:02
Stanirish,
Your selection sounds like a great choice for a white LED nav light provided it offers a 2 mile range. Nice to have a spare if you need it.

Dave, I’ve found that LED white lights are very effective as navigation lights where they are unfiltered. Use as a stern white, a steaming/bow light, and as a white anchor light is perfectly acceptable and it would take a hard-ass patrol-person on a bad night to come and give you a hard time for that.

HOWEVER, I would only recommend a purpose-built, USCG-approved red-green navigation light be used on our boats.

That said, I’ve seen more than one poorly equipped boat using a white LED in a red-green fixture. You can see their greenish blue light from a mile or two away.
Stinkpotter Posted - 07/08/2021 : 15:55:22
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

...It made the red side run dim (since there’s very little red light component in the white) and it made my green side look blue. This DOES NOT meet the USCG regulations...
For this reason, the USCG does not approve LED bulbs to replace incandescents in running lights. They only approve a complete fixture made for an LED. Around here (home of the Coast Guard Academy), running at night with the wrong combination could draw a flashing blue light. You can probably get away with it for an anchor light or steaming light.
stanirish Posted - 07/08/2021 : 15:45:00
Thanks for the suggestions.
I decided to go with the (Pack of 2) Meerkatt White Marine Barge Boat Yacht Light Stainless Steel LED 8 Diodes Bow Navigation Pontoons. Need just one on the stern and it fits on the existing base and screws match, good for my needs. Happy sailing!
Voyager Posted - 07/08/2021 : 13:42:21
Joe Robert, that’s the light bulb I bought for the stern. I also tried it for my bow red-green running light, but I was dissatisfied with the color of the light. It made the red side run dim (since there’s very little red light component in the white) and it made my green side look blue. This DOES NOT meet the USCG regulations. I re-installed my old incandescent festoon bulb in the bow. Takes a little more power but it meets safety standards. I realize that I can buy a purpose-built red-green with separate LEDs in it, but I did not.
Voyager Posted - 07/08/2021 : 13:36:16
You could replace your current fixture with an Aquasignal or Hella stern light. For my Aquasignal, I purchased a DR LED white festoon navigation bulb. It is USCG rated for 2nm visibility and it works great. If your fixture requires an odd-shaped lightbulb, you might be better off replacing the whole enchilada.
That said, messing with the wiring that runs through the stern pulpit could be a challenge. My wiring terminates inside the fixture so it was an easy conversion. If you purchase a pre-wired fixture with a pigtail, that will be a challenge to splice it in, especially if you have to pull cable through your stern pulpit.
JoeRobertJr Posted - 07/07/2021 : 16:58:26
I was able to replace the incandescent bulb with one of these Festoon LED bulbs:
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=3729921

Would something like that work for you? Or do you need the housing, too?

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page