Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Selling my beloved behemoth C25

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AlMo Posted - 06/27/2021 : 17:33:36
Just wondering if anyone has hints, tips, advice for sites to use and/or stay away from. I think I have the price right for a "quick sale" and the market is pretty good around here (Portland, OR), but I couldn't seem to get more than a few "nibbles" on the first go-around.

My brother suggested paying a couple "well endowed" local gals in bikinis to decorate the cockpit in "martini sipping mode" and I may just be crazy enough to do it ...
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Leon Sisson Posted - 07/02/2021 : 05:00:40
Re: "I have put the 2016 movie on my bucket list"

I highly recommend "Maiden," Tracy Edwards' movie.  It's a genuine documentary illustrated with original video taken on board during the race, narrated by interviews with the original crew and others involved.  It's not a fluffy dramatization with Hollywood stars in the style of "Ford v Ferrari" (although that's an excellent movie too, based on real events).

(edited to fix a glitch which didn't show up in [Preview] and add link.)
AlMo Posted - 07/01/2021 : 21:04:12
Looks like the leg where the leak developed was Auckland to Punta del Este. Since the crew had rebuilt the yacht before the race, they knew every inch of it. I have put the 2016 movie on my bucket list to "must see"!
AlMo Posted - 07/01/2021 : 20:52:56
Leon: that is definitely *not* off-topic; we all know "sex sells" but this crew proves once again that "form over fashion" wins every time! What is the story of their emergency repair? Your post made me want to google it.

There must have been a great deal of engineering and physics know-how on Maiden, to go along with a very "well oiled" (in the "Dumb and Dumber" sense) machine of crew coordination, to recover from that near-disaster on the Buenos Aires - Lauderdale!

Way, way off topic: did they by chance do their business in the Maiden Head?
bigelowp Posted - 07/01/2021 : 14:44:50
Lwon:

no apologies needed -- thanks for adding some, er, um, zip to the thread!
Leon Sisson Posted - 07/01/2021 : 10:41:50
My apologies for leading this thread so far from its original topic.

In case anyone is curious, the photos I posted are from the 1989 Whitbread race taken as MAIDEN entered Port Everglades, FL (Fort Lauderdale).  They lead Division D in the brutal southern legs 2 and 3 of the race — from Uruguay around both capes and south of Australia to New Zealand.  On the way to Fort Lauderdale, the team was slowed by repairing a serious leak, arriving 3rd that leg.  MAIDEN finished 2nd overall in Division D, firmly establishing that women could be competitive at the highest levels of yacht racing.

Re: "Even the videographer behind the vang strikes a nice profile! "

The videographer Jo Gooding.  The big blond leaning over the port main winch in the left photo is Dawn Riley.  The early-teen-looking young lady at the helm is Tracy Edwards, owner of the boat and captain of the team.

Tracy Edwards is an interesting character.  She left home at 16 after being expelled from school.  By her mid-twenties she owned a house, which she mortgaged to buy a neglected 10 year old Bruce Farr designed 58' ocean racing yacht which she planned to enter in the 1989–90 Whitbread Round the World Race with an all-female crew.  Funded by an additional mortgage on the boat, the team of women completed a major refit themselves.  King Hussein of Jordan, one of few influential people to take Edwards' effort seriously, later helped with sponsorship.

Edwards became the first female Yachts[wo]man of the Year for her achievements in the 1989–90 Whitbread race.

After the 1989–90 Whitbread race Edwards sold MAIDEN to pay off her loans, but bought the neglected boat back in 2017, followed by another major refit partially funded by Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein of Jordan, King Hussein's daughter.
Stinkpotter Posted - 06/30/2021 : 17:14:23
Even the videographer behind the vang strikes a nice profile!
GaryB Posted - 06/30/2021 : 16:29:51
quote:
Originally posted by Leon Sisson

Re: "...a couple "well endowed" local gals in bikinis to decorate the cockpit in "martini sipping mode"..."

The right deck crew can enhance the appeal of any yacht.

That's what I'm talking about!
Leon Sisson Posted - 06/29/2021 : 19:28:09
Re: "...a couple "well endowed" local gals in bikinis to decorate the cockpit in "martini sipping mode"..."

The right deck crew can enhance the appeal of any yacht.

Stinkpotter Posted - 06/29/2021 : 13:57:19
Sailboatowners.com (used by Trailersailor.com, a big site) is free (last time I looked). Boattrader.com is $59 and up. Yachtworld.com is only for brokers. Then there's the Swap Meet forum right here--that's all it took for me--somebody saw it the afternoon I put her on, called a friend, the friend called me the same day, looked at her the next morning, and wrote a check on the spot. Elapsed time about 20 hours. Around here the market seems hotter now than it was then!

Presentation--"curb appeal"--is key! Clean her up inside and out and declutter like crazy! So many boats people look at are full of junk and grime--good ones stand out like a beacon, and boat buying is all about an emotional reaction--when it happens, the faults are excused and the search is over! On the three boats I've sold, the buyers tried but failed to hide their excitement.
Voyager Posted - 06/28/2021 : 08:03:37
With the current heat wave in the NW you can always play the “Cool down on your own private yacht “ angle with an “islands” theme including palm trees, cool drinks with tiny umbrellas in them and cruise-wear clad folks living the good life.
Sailingtexas is a great spot as is Catalina Owners and eBay. I would pass on Craigslist seeing that I’ve gotten more crazy film flams through that site than any other.
But seriously, take a look at prior sellers’ ads. Generally they give a full inventory of all features and improvements.
GaryB Posted - 06/27/2021 : 19:06:16
Try Sailing Texas. Although the name says Texas they have ads from all over the country.

If you end up going with your brothers suggestion please post pictures. LOL

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page