Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Fiberglass Repair: Mast Base/Tabernacle

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
canadiansailorkid Posted - 06/03/2021 : 13:15:08
Well this was an ongoing repair that is nearing completion. However it's taken so long I no longer remember the exact measurements of the mast plate holes!

Any one willing to take some measurements for me? If not, I'm winging it! I think I have a pretty close idea. (Yes I can sense people cringing from here! haha)

The dimensions I need is relative to something common, unfortunately the only thing that is still remaining is the forward edge of the tabernacle, and partial port and starboard edges.

I measured 2 inches exactly from the forward edge of the tabernacle to the center of the forward edge of the mast plate. As for side to side, I split the difference as best I could.

A picture is worth a thousand words here, but I seem to have trouble uploading them to the gallery, so I will try hosting on another site and linking them shortly.

Thanks of course to anyone willing to help out a budget DIY'er who doesn't really have a clue what he is doing!

Edited: Image Resolution

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
canadiansailorkid Posted - 06/20/2021 : 09:43:13
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Doing a little research has this as the C25 mast step and is what I have.

A C27 and some C28 use a mast step that looks like yours.

I wonder if a PO needed a mast and found a C27 mast and used it along with the mast step (different extrusion?) possibly cutting it down? Anyway here are the links to the two mast steps.
C25 https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-25/rigging/standing-rigging/mast-step-c-25-standard-rig/

C27/28 https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-28/rigging/standing-rigging/spars-and-fittings/mast-step-c-27-c-28/

All this is possible. Since I had sailbags in my boat from a C&C 27 I wondered if perhaps my mast is a from a donor boat... makes me wonder what kind of damage is hiding from the previous owner. The best example I could find of a C&C27 mast base is here http://www.cc27association.com/photos/mastbase.jpg

islander Posted - 06/14/2021 : 05:18:15
Doing a little research has this as the C25 mast step and is what I have.

A C27 and some C28 use a mast step that looks like yours.

I wonder if a PO needed a mast and found a C27 mast and used it along with the mast step (different extrusion?) possibly cutting it down? Anyway here are the links to the two mast steps.
C25 https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-25/rigging/standing-rigging/mast-step-c-25-standard-rig/

C27/28 https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-28/rigging/standing-rigging/spars-and-fittings/mast-step-c-27-c-28/
canadiansailorkid Posted - 06/13/2021 : 17:13:36
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Peter, It could be that his boat is a 78 but I also agree that my base doesn't look like his. My base doesn't have the oval socket that his has.

Honestly, I'm not sure. It is what came with the boat when I bought it. The deck plate portion doesn't really look OEM, however the mast (oval socket) portion does. It is an earlier boat and the mast (as far as I can tell) is a standard rig from a C25...
islander Posted - 06/11/2021 : 12:51:38
Peter, It could be that his boat is a 78 but I also agree that my base doesn't look like his. My base doesn't have the oval socket that his has.
bigelowp Posted - 06/11/2021 : 08:00:04
The mast base you have is quite different than on my 1980. You may want to check with Catalina Direct to see what they have for the C-25 to confirm yours is correct -- unless you have a mast from a different boat. Yours looks more like what the Catalina 27 used or what Pearson used.
canadiansailorkid Posted - 06/07/2021 : 20:14:39
Well I think I got it within an 1/8" of where it was, so all in all I'm happy with that. I used #8 1-1/2" SS wood screws into the fiber glass. In hindsight I would've liked to use a through bolt as mentioned earlier in this thread, but mainly for my own piece of mind as it is more than adequate. It was what I had available at the time as Covid still has stores partially closed here, and scheduled launch day (D-Day June 6th) was creeping up fast, and I wasn't about to miss it!

Oh and thanks for the help with the HTML images... It's been a while since I had to remember that stuff! I was too eager to post with larger than life photos!
Lee Panza Posted - 06/05/2021 : 10:44:26
Here's another suggestion for locating the proper placement of the tabernacle. Since you're OK with fiberglass repair, drill a small hole down through the cabintop somewhat forward of where you expect to find the compression post. That gives you a reference point to measure off to the compression post, and when you're done just fill it back in.

And, concurring with Leon, please reduce the resolution of those images and re-post them.

Oh, and I'm curious about that tabernacle; my 1980 has the sheetmetal bracket that I thought was standard, but I've never seen one on a Catalina 25 like the one you've got.

Leon Sisson Posted - 06/03/2021 : 18:50:22
Center the mast fore and aft above the compression post, or a bit fwd
if needed, to get the fwd bolts to end up in the head compartment
without going straight into the post or bulkhead.

On my 1979 boat, the aft bolts were originally lag screws into the
deck about above the aft corners of the compression post. After I
replaced them with through-bolts, I had to chisel notches in the aft
corners of the post for the nuts and washers.

Regarding your photos, 12 megapixel images, twice the width and three
times the height of a typical modern computer monitor, are not as
helpful as you might wish.

Try turning down the resolution in your camera, or crop & resize with
Ms Paint or whatever graphics editor you've got on hand, before
uploading.

There's a way to link a thumbnail, or at least small, copy of your
photos to higher resolution versions on whatever image server you're
using, like this (click to enlarge):

The syntax is:
(url="http://address-of-the-large-image.jpg")
(img)http://address-of-the-thumbnail-image.jpg(/img)(/url)
...but replace the parenthesis shown with square brackets.

I suggest limiting posted images to no more than about 1,000 pixels wide.
When I open a post and see images over about 1,200 wide, I usually don't bother reading any further.

Trying to be helpful here, not hyper critical; you're certainly not
the first to post unwieldy large images.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page