Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Life Line

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JanS48 Posted - 05/28/2021 : 07:36:14
Hi everyone
I'm in need of the cockpit lifeline on the port side, it need to be an eyelet on both ends (5/16 or 3/8) hole and 52" eyelet to eyelet.
Does anyone know of a place that makes these up? I see kits available using swagless connectors but I'd much prefer the std swagged type.
Thanks
Jan
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Voyager Posted - 09/05/2021 : 08:57:29
For folks in CT and RI, there are two salvage shops worthy of note:
• Mystic Nautical Marine. http://mysticnautical.net/
• Marine Consignment of Wickford Here’s a YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkdB07NVQjY
Both locations are listed on Google if you need directions or want a “tour”
And they might even have lifelines
bigelowp Posted - 09/03/2021 : 15:00:08
One other thought -- there are marine salvage companies that may have the right length from a parted out C-25 or similar boat. There is one in Boston I have used for some parts, am sure near Newport there may be one as well. Ask local boat yards.
Lee Panza Posted - 09/03/2021 : 09:00:53
While my personal preference is to stay with SS cables for the lifelines elsewhere, I've been considering replacing the sections at the gates with Amsteel specifically because it would be more "limp" than SS. When I unhook my current SS gate cable and let it lie on the cockpit bench, it droops partially across the opening between the stanchions and presents a tripping hazard (I've caught the one on the dock side several times with a foot). An Amsteel line would droop vertically down from the stanchion. Even if part of it falls over the outside of the combing, the weight of the pelican hook would keep the loose end inside the cockpit. By the way, C.S. Johnson has a whole line of fittings for Amsteel lifelines. They're generally offered by chandleries in the hard-anodized aluminum version, but they are also manufactured in 316SS.
NautiC25 Posted - 09/03/2021 : 06:37:00
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Jonathan, using the Amsteel line, is the material stiff like stainless steel wire rope or loose like line? I rely on my lifeline being springy and stiff so when it’s disconnected it doesn’t drop down into the water.

It's loose like a rope. However, I pull tension on it down the stanchions, full length of the boat, up to the first gate stanchion where it's tied up. The gate line itself is also hooked up tight, but yes, it will just fall "limp" when unhooked. I'm not sure how it's much different than wire though?
Voyager Posted - 06/08/2021 : 13:11:26
Jonathan, using the Amsteel line, is the material stiff like stainless steel wire rope or loose like line? I rely on my lifeline being springy and stiff so when it’s disconnected it doesn’t drop down into the water.
NautiC25 Posted - 06/07/2021 : 05:54:40
quote:
Originally posted by JanS48

Hi everyone
I'm in need of the cockpit lifeline on the port side, it need to be an eyelet on both ends (5/16 or 3/8) hole and 52" eyelet to eyelet.
Does anyone know of a place that makes these up? I see kits available using swagless connectors but I'd much prefer the std swagged type.
Thanks
Jan

You guys should really consider making them yourself with dyneema Amsteel. I did mine with this and never looked back! It was super easy to splice, cheaper, lightweight, doesn't rust, and looks great! I've had mine on for 10yrs now and don't believe it needs any attending.

If you decide to go with it and need help just let me know.
bigelowp Posted - 06/01/2021 : 13:37:44
I believe you can purchase a kit from Catalina Direct and maybe able to do it yourself. I had mine replaced several years ago by the rigger at the yard I keep my boat. It was not cheap, but far less than I had expected and well worth it. My guess is any boat yard could replace lifelines with or without a CD kit.
Voyager Posted - 05/30/2021 : 17:51:49
Hi Jan, please post if you get a good rigger. My lifelines have seen better days as well… I have a Pelican Clip on one side, it’s very handy.
JanS48 Posted - 05/28/2021 : 10:48:27
I'll give that a shot, thanks Steve.
Steve Milby Posted - 05/28/2021 : 08:12:00
I never looked for someone to do that job, but expect any sailboat rigger would have the materials and equipment to do that job. If you'll google "rhode island sailboat riggers", you'll find several in your area.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page