Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Coaming pocket location?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Leon Sisson Posted - 05/28/2021 : 10:37:38
I'd appreciate it if one of you whose Catalina 25 came from the factory with cockpit coaming pockets would post the measurements of where they're located relative to the aft end of the cockpit seat, and from the top surface of the coaming.  (I have the dimensions of the opening itself.)

Thanks!
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Leon Sisson Posted - 06/06/2021 : 17:49:59
Re: "I like the look of the wood trim much better than my white frame."

Thanks!  I got those from Catalina some years ago in anticipation of someday getting around to adding coaming pockets.  I have't seen the teak trim rings on their website lately, but they may be able to make or special order them.  However, considering Catalina is asking almost $60 for a pair of the plastic ones, I wouldn't expect teak ones to be cheap.

Considering how common CNC wood router tables have become, it might be worth asking around to see of a local custom woodworking shop can fabricated them, given a plastic one as a template, and increasing the material thickness to at least 1/4" all around.  To reduce warping, splitting, and to conserve material, the teak trim rings appear to be machined from blanks composed of many pieces (scraps?) of teak glued together in two crossed layers, like plywood with the grain and joints running about 45° to the axis of the oval.

JoeRobertJr Posted - 06/06/2021 : 03:51:51
Leon, that looks great. I like the look of the wood trim much better than my white frame.
Leon Sisson Posted - 06/05/2021 : 19:23:10
In case anyone is curious, here's why I wanted to know the coaming pocket locations:

That's of course the stbd side, which is the easier one to install on my boat.  Still a few details to finish up, but you get the idea.  I haven't started on the port coaming pocket yet because there's more stuff in the way under that side.

Leon Sisson Posted - 06/03/2021 : 20:14:15
Re: "...please note the drain holes to the lower right and left of the pocket..."

Yep, my Catalina 22 has the same coaming pockets.

Re: "...tail end of the jib halyard, horn....Did I miss something?"

...winch handle, sun screen, jib furling line.  (I prefer cell phones and cameras stay safe and dry in the cabin when not in use.)  Also a sheltered location for a 12V outlet for hand-held spotlight, autopilot connector & circuit breaker, shore power inlet, and any other gotta-be-within-reach-of-the-tiller electrical stuff.

dmpilc Posted - 06/03/2021 : 19:43:29
If you are going to add cockpit pockets to your boat, unless they are the self-draining newer type, please note the drain holes to the lower right and left of the pocket in the photo with the tape measure!
islander Posted - 06/01/2021 : 16:23:51
They are very handy. Where else do you keep sunglasses, bilge pump handle, cell phones, keys, lip balm,radio, tail end of the jib halyard, horn....Did I miss something?
bigelowp Posted - 06/01/2021 : 13:39:07
Interesting, I never knew they were an option -- always assumed all our boats came with them.
Roamer Posted - 05/30/2021 : 15:16:11
Just got back from the lake... Agree with Joe's measurements.
Leon Sisson Posted - 05/30/2021 : 08:41:17
Thank you for the dimensions Joe!
JoeRobertJr Posted - 05/30/2021 : 04:32:38

From aft end of portside pocket to inside transom is 36 inches. 36.5 on the stbd side.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page