Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Tohatsu 6HP hard starting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
FrankV Posted - 04/20/2021 : 06:21:22
We have a 6hp on out C250 WK. Plenty of motor for our lake sailing, but it is the hardest starting outboard in forever. However standard operating procedure is about at least 20 pulls. Kind of like a 4 stroke dirt bike I had, kick, kick, kick, nothing. Not even a pop, then on about the 50th kick. it would just light up & run fine.

I found the below starting procedure on another forum and tried it and it works like a charm-

Cold starting procedure is to attach fuel line, pump up until I'm reasonably sure the bowl is filled, give the throttle a couple of twists to wide open and back, then set it to the start position (1/3?) , full choke. Usually catches on and runs on the first or second pull. Cut back to half choke for about 15 seconds, then choke off and away we go.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
NautiC25 Posted - 06/08/2021 : 04:39:16
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Congrats on the new motor! Using the integrated tank only gives you a little over one quart of gas. Are you going to be OK with that?

I forgot to mention that it comes with the external fuel tank fitting. So if you need the extra fuel, you can quickly attach the external tank and hose.
NautiC25 Posted - 06/07/2021 : 05:25:51
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Congrats on the new motor! Using the integrated tank only gives you a little over one quart of gas. Are you going to be OK with that?

Yea, I only need enough motor to get out of the lake marina. About 300ft. haha

If I need more, I can always throw a can in the gas locker.
islander Posted - 05/27/2021 : 06:12:45
NautiC25 Posted - 05/26/2021 : 12:16:19
I just bought a new (and beautifully white)6hp Tohatsu. However, based on my 8hp, and everyone else having issues no matter the model, I went with the integrated tank. I'm hoping that will cut out the fuel line, primer bulb, and nasty fuel tank from the equation. We shall see if that makes life easier. At least I know my fuel locker won't turn black every month. ;)
Stinkpotter Posted - 04/21/2021 : 12:53:22
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

A friend was complaining about his Honda outboard being hard to start. When I tried it, it started on the first pull. The only thing I did different from him was to follow the Honda starting instructions that were printed on the motor...
As we used to say in the computer industry, RTFM!
danandlu Posted - 04/21/2021 : 07:07:51
Frank,

I don't know if your 6hp is the same as my Tohatsu (9.8hp) but if it is you don't open the throttle any when starting, for cold start just pull the choke fully out (the throttle opens with the choke) and pull. Mine will usually fire on the first or second pull but not run. Then push the choke to the halfway position and pull. IF it's like mine it will start and run at fast idle.
Steve Milby Posted - 04/20/2021 : 07:30:18
That's a pretty good procedure for starting any make of outboard motor. A lot of people don't pump the line before starting, but when you disconnect the fuel line, some of the gas in the line drains back into the tank, leaving air in the line. Pumping the line gets air out of the line and gets gas to the carburetor.

We often don't think to use the choke, because modern autos have automatic chokes, but any engine that has a manual choke needs you to use it for a cold start.

Outboard motors have a mark on the tiller that indicates how the throttle should be set to "start."

Maybe whenever someone complains that their outboard is hard to start, we should begin by asking if they're following the starting procedure recommended by the manufacturer.

A friend was complaining about his Honda outboard being hard to start. When I tried it, it started on the first pull. The only thing I did different from him was to follow the Honda starting instructions that were printed on the motor. He didn't pump the line, or use the choke, or set the throttle to start.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page