Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Dropping the mast

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JanS48 Posted - 05/22/2021 : 11:38:07
Well it's looking like I need to drop the mast to resolve an antenna issue. Currently the boat is on-hard, in the years I've owned it I've never had to drop the mast. Is it easier to drop it forward (using the boom as the lever pole) - or dropping it aft with some deckhands available? Thoughts please.
Jan
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dmpilc Posted - 06/09/2021 : 10:41:07
check out the you tube videos by DavyJ on dropping a C25 mast, using the steel conduit method. Perfect! You can use your vehicle's hitch receiver to bend the conduit. Easy!
GaryB Posted - 06/08/2021 : 13:32:13
I had a Hobie 16 back at the time I met Fred. I loved that boat. Bought it new when I was 19 and sailed it for 5 years. Sold it for the same price I bought it. ;)

I’ve thought about about getting another Hobie 16 after I sell my C25 but kinda like the looks of the Flying Scot’s too. Then again at 67 a power boat sounds good too. LOL

As Stinkpotter always says “Turn the key to the right, go boating, turn the key to the left and go to the house or restaurant”.
Oh wait, that's not right...he says something about pulling two lines and sailing or not sailing. LOL LOL

If you ever decide to sell your Hobie let me know. I might be interested.

I really wish I could live near Canyon. I really love that lake.
NautiC25 Posted - 06/07/2021 : 05:48:46
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

quote:
Originally posted by NautiC25

I also do the A-frame method and drop it back using 2 emt conduits, and some 2x4's to create a mast cradle in the cockpit.

I just noticed you are at LCYC. Have you always been there or did you recently change your signature block? I don't remember seeing you listed at LCYC before.

I used to sail Canyon Lake all the time with my Hobie 16. Spent every other weekend camping and sailing during the summer back in my late teens and early 20's. Still go visit one day every year while on vacation in New Braunfels.

Met Fred Lindsay one day while he was sailing a Hobie 14. We used to sail our Hobie's together from time to time. His dad had a Cal 29 slipped at Canyon Lake Marina. Got to sail on it a few times.

If you know Fred and happen to run into him tell him the guy with the Hobie 16 from Houston said hello. He might remember me.

Yea, I run into him every now and again. Mostly on race days. He's been in the J22 fleet for over a decade now.

No, I haven't changed my sig, and you've seen it a few years ago. ;) I just haven't been on here in probably a year to 18 months. lol I've also been neglecting my C25, but I'm coming back around.
I've been at LCYC for 11yrs now I believe. I've sailed at Canyon my whole life with my dad. I also raced with Derek for 2-3yrs on "This side Up" when he had it.

I bought a Hobie 16 last year for $1200 and have been spending the last year getting her looking new again. The main reason for spending time away from the C25. Man, I love these things. lol I always wanted to try one because they looked like fun, but could never get a ride. I said screw it and just bought it. They are WAY more fun than they look. The only draw back is I can only take one family member on at a time. I'm thinking about a H18 or H21SE as well for the wings.
GaryB Posted - 05/27/2021 : 21:08:36
quote:
Originally posted by NautiC25

I also do the A-frame method and drop it back using 2 emt conduits, and some 2x4's to create a mast cradle in the cockpit.

I just noticed you are at LCYC. Have you always been there or did you recently change your signature block? I don't remember seeing you listed at LCYC before.

I used to sail Canyon Lake all the time with my Hobie 16. Spent every other weekend camping and sailing during the summer back in my late teens and early 20's. Still go visit one day every year while on vacation in New Braunfels.

Met Fred Lindsay one day while he was sailing a Hobie 14. We used to sail our Hobie's together from time to time. His dad had a Cal 29 slipped at Canyon Lake Marina. Got to sail on it a few times.

If you know Fred and happen to run into him tell him the guy with the Hobie 16 from Houston said hello. He might remember me.
GaryB Posted - 05/27/2021 : 20:59:31
Sailynn and NautiCat25 are correct on sing EMT.

Be sure you use EMT steel conduit. You can find EMT steel conduit in the electrical section at Home Depot and Lowe's.

Do NOT use aluminum tubing.

Also as Sailynn mentioned, be sure to cleat off the tail of the jib sheet to the mast cleat.
NautiC25 Posted - 05/26/2021 : 08:20:53
Sailynn Posted - 05/24/2021 : 20:19:13
We use the A-frame method to drop backwards. Undo forward lowers on both sides. Lay A-frame on deck with apex pointing to bow. Attach swivel at bottom of A-Frame to the lower forward shroud deck fittings each side. Let out winch strap from trailer, till it reaches front side of A-frame apex, and hook to forward side of A-frame. Take jib halyard and take to back of A-frame and secure tail to mast cleat. While standing at mast push it backwards, as person on ground lets out trailer winch strap. Never make a A-frame out of wood. I worked at a boat yard and saw 3 explosions of wood shards. There is momentary tremendous stress, as the load breaks from standing to going backwards. I use 1 inch electrical conduit using the diagram in the C25 Tech. Manual. With a few variations at the swivel bottom. The key is to drill the holes on the swivel to fit your direction of lower shroud fitting, as no two boats are placed exactly, just like the length of A-frame poles vary based of which bow pulpit you have. For pics send me a email at Isailynn@yahoo.com subject: C25 A-frame
Voyager Posted - 05/23/2021 : 06:46:53
If it’s any consolation, it’s not a bad idea to drop your mast to check shrouds and stays every 10 years. Halyard sheaves (pulleys) too. The forestay and backstay plus your upper and lower shrouds can corrode over time (even though they’re stainless) and the pins and cotters can get loose over time. If the cables show signs of corrosion or “meat hooks” from broken wire strands, then it’s time to replace them all.
There are many forum threads on dropping your mast. Some go forward using the boom and the mainsheet, some do it backward using a single gin pole or an A-frame (2x4s or conduit pipe). Name your approach, but it’s a really good idea to have one or two able-bodied helpers with you.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page