Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Deep Clean Mariah and her "New Look"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
zeil Posted - 10/23/2019 : 22:07:04

One of the great benefits of having a trailerable sailboat is the fact that it can be towed to your driveway, readied and cleaned before putting it to bed for its wintersleep

We will admit that we went a little "overboard", with our "deep clean". Besides deep clean we could have opted for let's say a spring clean, winter clean, sprucing, bathroom clean or even a quick clean.

But... we settled for nothing but the extreme. Consequently the entire interior had been taken apart, evaluated and either thoroughly cleaned, painted, sanded, washed, scrubbed, or entirely replaced.

Systems we deem not to fit our boating lifestyle have been removed and will be replaced while additions, modifications are in the works.

Questions are welcome help is even more appreciated

Here is what it looks like at this moment

The team

The stern battery housing bulkhead, port storage divider will be replaced with all plywood edges sealed and painted to forestall dampness and mould

interior forward looking

The princess stove has been removed and is being serviced

Ballast tank below the V berth

Teak trim removed for sleaniing

Perhaps we could consider hanging curtains instead

The galley will be equipped with a micro wave, separate door and shelves

Plywood below drawers is now sealed and painted

A 20 gallon watertank located below the V berth is removed

Any takers for this tank...

All woodwork will be replaced with 1/2" melanine coated plywood. All edges will be sealed and painted to prevent moisture absorption

New seat step has been added

To be replaced

Before cleaning

MARIAH'S NEW LOOK WITH ADDITIONS AND MODIFICATIONS

Nav., deck, steaming and anchor lights working...

Nav., deck, steaming and anchor lights working...

In this photo
1) Princess stove (refurbished and now easily removable)
2) Teak shelf above the galley supported by 2 3/4" tubes and hull teak trim brackets
3) 12 volt water faucet
4) Home made sink enclosure with drain grove and handle cavity
5) Micro wave shelf with 2 tier storage compartment behind door and storage bin area below
6) Counter top extension with teak fiddle aft
7) Paper towel suspender roll mounted below counter top extension
8) Utensil holder in countertop (previous water fill station)
9) Teak edged velcro'd white closure panel for below galley counter settee access

Closer look at teak shelf above counter and counter top extension

Paper towel holder installed below the counter extension. Electrical 110V extension to microwave

Teak edged one side melamine coated plywood cover held in place with Velcro

In this photo
1) New gas regulator installed at the manufacturers recommended angle
2) UL underwritten gas sniffer 12 volt
3) The 1 lbs gas bottle is easy accessible

This 12 volt DC unit resides just below the gas regulator in the bilge

New fused electrical panel:
1) water-pump located in wet locker
2) galley faucet
3) Princess stove top
4) Gas sniffer cut-off switch

30 Amp electrical shore connection

Inside short fused 110 Volt outlet A second outlet is available in the aft battery compartment for battery charger or misc.

Installed new 1/2" melamine coated, edged sealed, plywood panels and new shelf to be installed behind the head next to the wet locker. The exiting piping is cleaned and re-used

Fold-able companion way step-seat added

This step/seat is used a lot... galley duties, foul weather look-out and visitors

A new shelf is added to accommodate all kinds... flashlight, flares, boat's papers, manuals, charts, books, etc.

Our new teak fiddle lined cabin table with dining pull-outs and a hinged table extension. (the table seems to get cluttered easily but with fiddles most things are contained

We love the functionality of our table. Below the table we have two open woven baskets containing reading literature and all kinds of daily used stuff

This teak shelf houses binoculars and an array of easy to grab instruments and items

The new bulkhead including door to the wet locker fits well and uses the old, cleaned piping

The head's literature holder is expanded with two small shelves and a 12 volt battery charge read-out, 2 USB ports, a cigarette lighter plug-in and on/off switch.

The unit is connected with in-line fuse directly to the battery

Old rusty cabin lights removed and replaced with new

New low profile dimmable LED modern looking cabin lights for reading books or romantic dinners

Lights are easy to install and fit over exiting opening

New 1" thick cherry wood spare rudder blade coated with epoxy and painted. Blade will reside permanently on board

Fabricated a new 98" long 1" o/d aluminum, cut in half with 12" SS sleeve. The gin pole is easily stored and resides in the port side main cabin coaming

Anchor locker gin pole gear

Gin pole forestay/jib halyard block and tackle gear

Plexiglass hatch cover... wonderful addition

Boat storage winter mode

See you next season

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
zeil Posted - 03/29/2021 : 16:35:28

New aluminum cut-in-half and SS 12" sleeved gin-pole 98" long inserted in the base of the mast, attached to the jib-halyard and block-and-tackle to the eye located in the anchor locker. The port side lower shroud came undone and is missing in this photo. Note: Baby stays are attached to mast and stanchions to keep the mast in column. Make doubly sure the jib halyard is secured

The fore stay, furler drum and foil are connected to the tip of the gin-pole during the mast raising procedure for final connecting to the bow stem

zeil Posted - 03/20/2021 : 11:37:42

In this photo
1)Open web shelf extended to the sink's drain to store our pots and pans
2)Mounting plywood panel fastened with screws hidden behind the door frame and attached to the shelf 1x2" ledge (You'll have to add another wood strip to the surface of the panel in order to hide the screws behind the frame)
3) Gas, shutoff valve added between low pressure valve and quick coupling with hose to stove
4) Quick coupling and hose to the stove supported with eye strap from the bottom of the counter
5) Low pressure gas valve mounted to the plywood mounting panel at the prescribed 45 degree angle.
6) 1 lbs gas bottle can be attached with just enough room when cupboard door is closed
7) Sufficient room is left to access other areas of the cupboard when 1 lbs bottle is in use.
8) Gas sniffer 12v cut-off switch is turned off when the stove is not in use and bottle removed.
9) Water supply line to 12v counter faucet fits nicely
10) 12v wires to stove, water pump, faucet and gas sniffer are connected to fuse panel on the opposite side of the cabinet
11) For now the countertop stove is removable and not glued down but sealed with a black 1/8"x 3/4" rubber strip to prevent water from entering. (this is experimental.

zeil Posted - 03/15/2021 : 15:15:33
Patrick... if, you for what ever reason, you can't get your stove working, an inexpensive and super use full solution would be to obtain a portable butane one pit stove similar to the one we used on our trip back from Ontario.

The nice thing about the portable unit is that you can cook anywhere, anytime and after clean-up is easily stored.

We deem being able to cook and prepare meals essential

Photo taken during our 3000 mile trip home from Ontario and before modifications were made.

zeil Posted - 03/15/2021 : 11:32:33

Patrick your situation may be very different. Apparently Catalina has outfitted our boats with a variety of fuel sources, hook-ups, connections, materials, etc.

The stove on "Mariah", was set-up for butane canisters only and located in the far right hand aft corner below the galley, a spot impossible to reach

To convert the stove to 1 lbs propane bottles we searched everywhere and finally located an outlet in Washington who could provide a low pressure conversion kit. Web side below Cost $95.00 US plus shipping

We used our existing stove hose and quick coupling again and added a manual shut-off valve between the quick coupling and the new valve.

Valve mounting instructions indicate a 45 degree angle which fits exactly in the left hand of the cupboard and... provides the desired access to the 1 lbs bottle.

A 3/8" fitted wood panel needs to be installed and held in place with screws behind the door frame trim and inside shelf holder. (It is finicky work).

We installed an approved 12v gas sniffer directly below in the bilge complete with a cut-off switch located next to the valve.

The 12v gas sniffer switch is to be turned on before the bottle is installed. We remove the gas bottle during the night and when not in use

Disclaimer... provided for general information only

https://pantherrvproducts.com/lp-gas-components/regulators/?mode=1

Superior RV 39800 RV Propane Appliance Disposable Cylinder Adapter Kit

NCBrew Posted - 03/14/2021 : 18:27:39
Really good script and pictures.
You both did a great job.

I would like to change my stove like you have with the 1 pound bottles

Can you give me some more pictures of your stove conversion.

Is it as easy as it looks.

word explanation would be great for me.

NCbrew
zeil Posted - 03/05/2021 : 12:46:46

When we removed the wood partitions from around the head, we liked the open, spacious look. The thought occurred to us for just a fleeting moment, to surround the head with moveable curtains instead for a new look.

Of course, this would be far from practical and so after cleaning replaced the existing woodwork again.

It may be that the head's removable partitions are required to stiffen the hull and deck

NCBrew Posted - 03/03/2021 : 16:17:42
quote:
Originally posted by zeil

Thanks for the question

We are removing the tank permanently. It will be replaced by 4x40=160 1/2 liter water bottles. The bottles will provide approx the same weight and keeps the boat on its lines.

Instead of the forward tank we will be adding a 6-10 gallon water tank to be located aft of the wet locker to serve both the galley and head.

The water bottles will supplement our tank water supply and be replenished regularly

Where did you find the curtains. Please explain the set up
zeil Posted - 02/25/2021 : 16:06:48

Appreciate your comments Peter...

Two summers ago, after about 4 months and 4500km (3000 miles) away from home while living in the boat on the water and on the road, we extended our "boat life", at home for a few more months by replacing, adding, modifying and thoroughly cleaning the boat.

The reason we bought the boat in Ontario, was to enjoy a trip across the continent and at the same time visit family and friends.

It's just another way to enjoy having our wonderful trailer-able C250WB at home, in the driveway, right in front of the garage and workshop.

Nothing better than a few boat projects with tools available, drinking coffee and making projects last and justify having the boat just a little longer in the driveway. Now how many sailboat owners are able to do that...

bigelowp Posted - 02/20/2021 : 16:04:30
Henk & Johanna:

You are the best! Your efforts have enhanced your boat and motivated, at least me, to re-think my "spring cleaning"
zeil Posted - 02/16/2021 : 16:20:34
Although there are many different types and shapes, here is the one that suited us best. It is wired with an in-line fuse directly to the 12v battery.

The #12 wire runs from the unit through a newly drilled hole in the settee seat, to below the floor of the head and up through the existing bilge pump opening and runs along the bilge pump hose and connected to the battery terminals.

The unit we bought at Amazon.ca cost $23.00 CAD
Rupse Car Switch + Dual 5V/3.1A USB Charger + Voltmeter Voltage + Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter Socket Panel

NCBrew Posted - 02/16/2021 : 09:18:30
What a great job.

I need to add 110V to my 250 WK

Where to include it in the boat?

Is the wire attached to the wire coming out of the converter cable enough. It seems to be a 20 Amp wire.
Where did you buy the 12v meter and cigarette plug

Good job
Voyager Posted - 10/12/2020 : 20:58:36
HENK — Now that’s some amazing magic! You literally restored the entire chain of the original thread with our replies included. Truly amazing! The only difference is that the posting date stamp is all today. You apparently have found the archive of the internet somehow.
zeil Posted - 05/29/2020 : 19:52:14
STARTING TO REPLACE AND REBUILD...

Here are some photos of new inside partitions, bulkhead, removing a 20 gallon water tank from the V berth and replacing it with a new 10 gallon tank relocated behind the wet locker and adding a water pump feeding the tap in the galley and hand pump in the head besides adding misc. shelves with photos to be added at a later date

Voyager Posted - 11/03/2019 : 21:40:32
The bladder idea looks like a good one. Hmmm 55L is 55kg so that’s about 121 pounds of water. Nice ballast.
I wonder how it would take freezing temperatures even if empty. Ice would probably damage the seal on the nipple.
wm36 Posted - 11/03/2019 : 20:29:05
Did you see the water bladder that Carl In LA added to his 250? Looked like an interesting idea.

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31585
zeil Posted - 11/03/2019 : 16:48:38

Thanks for your comments
Perhaps a better solution will be to use and re-use commercial available square 10 liter (2.64 gallon), water containers to place the containers below the V berth. Some will be accessible from the port and/or starboard coamings

Voyager Posted - 10/25/2019 : 21:58:47
I recently invested in a Brita water filter tank with a spigot. It’s about 1.5 gallons or 6 liters. It fits right next to the head sink and is secured down with a simple bracket. I usta use 2 liter polycarbonate water bottles but this is waaaay less expensive and as far as I can tell, the water tastes great (no chlorine). I only make enough water for a few days because without chlorine, there’s a possibility that algae and not so nice “bugs” can get a foothold.

My source is 100% municipal water. It starts out pretty good and filtering it seems to make it better. So, cups of water all around for guests. For cold water I put ice water in the receptacle and it drips through the filter pretty cool.

In CT, while our public water supply is far from perfect, we have 2 things in our favor.
(1) Reservoirs do not allow any unauthorized access - no recreational boating and with extremely limited fishing opportunities. Shore access is highly restricted.
(2) No sewage. It is illegal for a sewage treatment plant to release its treated effluent back into a drinking water source. Full stop.
We are indeed fortunate that way back in the 1900s—1920s our civil planners developed these systems and regulations to safeguard quality.
And we’re lucky. We have sufficient rainfall and water resources allowing us to be particular. Other regions of the country need every drop of water, and then some....
Stinkpotter Posted - 10/25/2019 : 07:38:17
They allow bottled water in BC? (Sorry... I pick up the remains along our waterfront and the road almost daily. Our coveted tourists...)
zeil Posted - 10/24/2019 : 20:22:03

Thanks for the question

We are removing the tank permanently. It will be replaced by 4x40=160 1/2 liter water bottles. The bottles will provide approx the same weight and keeps the boat on its lines.

Instead of the forward tank we will be adding a 6-10 gallon water tank to be located aft of the wet locker to serve both the galley and head.

The water bottles will supplement our tank water supply and be replenished regularly

k3fuller Posted - 10/24/2019 : 04:24:54
WOW! You weren't kidding. Those are great pictures. So are you replacing the water tank or just removing it? I keep mine full to counterbalance the weight of the engine or it will sit a little stern heavy.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page