Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 OUTBOARD MOTOR BRACKET

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Enchantment II Posted - 10/26/2020 : 14:27:44
I Purchased a new 2019 Tohatsu 4 stroke 9.9 HP with 25 inch shaft. I changed the motor mount to accommodate the extra weight(100lbs). However, It appears that the plastic (polypropylene) mount now has a crack. Any suggestions on a reputable manufacturer, type of Mount?
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Voyager Posted - 05/17/2021 : 22:46:35
Joseph, I’m glad it worked out well for you. I originally tried using an old vang block but it just hung up and didn’t get the job done. Using a thick piece of line raises your “center of effort” to where you can grab it at chest height and give it a tug, instead of having to bend way over the rail.
Enchantment II Posted - 05/17/2021 : 11:29:39
I used Voyager suggestion using a piece of line to raise the motor bracket. it worked great. I was considering a block system to assist in raising the motor when completely in down position. I have a small platform and overhead platform at the stern. it makes it difficult to reach down for the motor bracket. No leverage. The line around the bracket handle worked great. Thanks again.
yachtsea Posted - 04/26/2021 : 08:06:56
The 3-spring conversion was what I was after but I did not see anything indicating the spring would come off without significant modification to the axle or destroying the spring. I chose the spring. With a reciprocating saw, I was pretty concerned about this operation but come to learn, about 20 seconds of controlled sawing got me through with little drama and zero collateral damage to surrounding hardware/hull. Pretty happy and enjoying not needing to stand on the outboard to get it deployed.
quote:
Originally posted by islander

You can just pop one of the springs off of the tubing with a screwdriver to essentially make it a 3 springer.

sweetcraft Posted - 03/31/2021 : 20:04:01
Ouch. I feel for you because that is a tough lift. At 82 I use a 4 to 1 blocks with jam cleat. I have the 4 spring CD mount for the 15 Honda with hydraulic lift. Honda is bolted to bracket and only comes off for repairs, none yet. Travel to NW the bracket at highest lift is secured to stern pulpit with 1/2 double lines, rough roads also require hold down to keep outboard from lifting.
Leon Sisson Posted - 03/25/2021 : 20:20:57
Re:  "Beats having to reach over the rail and trying to horse it up without any leverage."

Anecdote someone may find helpful.  On two or three sailboats with retractable outboard mounts, I've always leaned over the stern rail to lift, lower, or otherwise wrestle with the motor.  I might put a PFD cushion on the rail if I expected to be there awhile working on the motor. 

Recently was laying on the rail, no padding, twisted slightly to one side, feet barely touching the cockpit seat.  Exerted an unusual amount of force on whatever I was messing with.  Heard and felt something go *pop* in my chest. 

Long story short, cracked a rib at the sternum.  Dr. said wasn't even the first time she'd heard of it happening, in the same situation.  (Hanging over sailboat stern rail to deal with motor.)  Reading up on injured ribs, they're a lot more fragile than I'd assumed.

Voyager Posted - 03/25/2021 : 19:00:31
Leon, I use an eight foot piece of 1/2” line double wrapped around the lifting mechanism to pull up my engine. I normally secure the line onto the stern pulpit when not in use. At the end of my trip, I stand on the cockpit seats looking aft and pull up on the rope while flipping the lift lever forward. The engine comes right up without much effort at all. Beats having to reach over the rail and trying to horse it up without any leverage.
islander Posted - 03/25/2021 : 12:36:10
You can just pop one of the springs off of the tubing with a screwdriver to essentially make it a 3 springer.
Leon Sisson Posted - 03/25/2021 : 07:58:58
I haven't tried this myself, but I remember seeing photos of using a small multi-part rope tackle from motor or mount up to the stern rail to help raise heavy outboards.
yachtsea Posted - 03/25/2021 : 07:46:41
My 86 C25 SK/SR came with the two-spring four-spring (just checked) and a Tohatsu 9.8 circa 2016. I actually came across this thread looking for a way to reduce the assistance because trying to deploy the motor into the water, or get it stowed, is typically the worst part of our sailing day. The amount of effort/weight it takes to get past the lower locked position is beyond my 165lbs. and makes me pause to think about watching 125lbs 115lbs wife do it in a time of need.

I could have sworn the motor (extra long shaft) was 105lbs when I weighed it which should be a little on the heavy side for this two-spring model but now that I just went outside and observed four springs, that's an easy fix...I think? Do you simply use a grinder and cut a spring? I bet that could be exciting.
mulvaneym7 Posted - 03/01/2021 : 21:11:58
Very helpful. Appreciate the pic. Thanks!
islander Posted - 03/01/2021 : 06:08:56
Along with the clamps there are bolt holes that you can use to through bolt the motor to the mount. I have my engine bolted with tamper resistant bolts to deter thieves but they also will keep the engine from falling off should the clamps loosen up. The round cylinder shaped head bolts in my photo are the bolts that are through bolted to my mount.
mulvaneym7 Posted - 02/28/2021 : 18:51:30
Is someone able to explain this more?

"use the lower mounting points on the outboard instead of relying only on the clamps at the top?"
keats Posted - 11/01/2020 : 19:22:16
I have the new Tohatsu and the 4-spring mount. Still requires some pulling to raise it so I would agree that it is the best choice.

Also, regarding the mounting, did you drill through and use the lower mounting points on the outboard instead of relying only on the clamps at the top? If not, I could see this as possibly over-stressing the plate, especially in reverse. Also required if you don't want the motor to end up in the drink someday.
Enchantment II Posted - 11/01/2020 : 18:40:36
Thank you All for your input
Stinkpotter Posted - 10/30/2020 : 20:08:20
The new Tohatsu 9.9 is a different motor from the 9.8--it's the fuel injected model and a fair amount heavier. From reports here on motors above 100 lbs., I would look hard at the 4-spring Garhauer.
bigelowp Posted - 10/30/2020 : 17:08:29
I have similar Tohatsu OB and the three spring will work great -- and is a simple DIY project.
Stinkpotter Posted - 10/30/2020 : 07:51:16
The Garuaur Catalina Direct sells has a stainless plate backing the HDPE mounting board. That might not guarantee against cracking, but it should add a margin of safety in case of a crack.
islander Posted - 10/30/2020 : 06:23:03
quote:
. I may go with a used Garhuer I saw on Ebay

Just make sure it is a 3 spring or a 4 spring.
Enchantment II Posted - 10/29/2020 : 15:10:26
Thank you all for your replies. I may go with a used Garhuer I saw on Ebay. Thanks for your info. All the best.
AUAE Posted - 10/28/2020 : 23:02:22
I just installed the 4-spring mount from Catalina Direct, and it seems very sturdy and well-made. The springs can raise a Honda 9.9 (113 lbs) with pretty much no effort from me. We got to test it out a couple of weeks ago, including trailering the boat for 150 mile round trip, and no issues that I can see. Mounted with 3/8-16 2.5" long bolts, per the drawing sent by Catalina Direct, and with 3" washers as backing. The mounting holes lined up with the previous mount.
dmpilc Posted - 10/26/2020 : 18:59:07
Look at the motor mounts Catalina Direct sells. I think the mfgr is Garhauer. The 3-spring model should work well with the Tohatsu. It's a good motor.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page